Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 00:39   #76

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, Cat man do. You mentioned motoring her out of OZ to finish it, but never mentioned going East. Pick this apart:
Labour costs in NZ
Have they come down to this level yet?
General Labours
500 THB / Man / Day
Phithak Shipyard and Services
Old 03-12-2011, 01:39   #77

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
In Cairns Aug 2009 we needed to re-supply the stock of oil absorbent pads.

$14.95 EACH!!!!!

We bought 2. Then ordered 100 of the exact same product in the USA. Delivered to our son's home in the USA at total cost of 50 cents each, including tax and shipping. Each time we fly home to Texas, on our return trip to the boat we stuff the empty spaces of duffel bags with extra oil absorbent pads.

Yes. We found everything boat-related to be very expensive in Australia.

Judy
Problem is we in Australia are dealing in a world economy, whether it be MotorSport Yachting or Hunting of course it will cost more here when we have the total population of an American state. Simply comes down to an economy of scale.

Wages in my hometown in Gladstone Qld for a tradesman is $1650:00 take home for 45 hour week with 24 hour accident and medical thrown in. Free Bus transport to and from work , uniforms, bonuses the whole deal, this makes anyone wanting to work on a boat a total joke (why would you). The mining boom is booooooooming!

As a result of this my wife and i have just bought our 'early retirement' boat in the states for less than 500k which is 250 k cheaper than a similar boat in Australia. It's a no brainer!.....

I understand 'Cat man do's' position it's the time period that's screwed him over in that six years the world economy has gone down the tube whilst Australia is now booming, 20 years ago WE were the Banana republic now it's America's turn. All cyclic i'm afraid, it hurts some whilst making others very happy. Albeit unpredictable.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:39   #78

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Meant to say many things are subpar, not everything.
Thinking things like Transportation, communications, general living expenses for those on average wages or less.

Where are our high speed (300kph) trains linking outer suburbs and towns to inner city?
Where are our underground train systems and monorail when there?
Where is the high speed and invariably free internet available in the cities?
The extensive mobile phone reception without the vast gaping holes that we have?
The high quality roads?

For such a supposedly wealthy nation with almost unlimited resources why don't we have this when other so called 3rd world countries can?
Mate, these are great great questions, the ones I'd like to ask John Howard and Peter Costello. 11 years in power, and what did they do? Sell, sell, and sell, all our assets. Also like to ask them about the state of our hospital system as well.

But on the sh#t hole thing, go out to Sydney airport and watch any aussie that gets off a plane from either the USA or Europe, the 1st thing they do is kiss the ground. Why?

To all international cruisers considering sailing to Australia, I urge you to get here soon, because if the Noolition gets voted in the 1st thing their leader plans to do is to "Stop the Boats"

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 03-12-2011, 01:41   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
So on the downside you Aussies have expensive boats. But on the upside you have Australian girls. Sounds like a fair trade to me!!

Frank
Frank you nailed it!!!!! Also a Frank
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Mate, these are great great questions, the ones I'd like to ask John Howard and Peter Costello. 11 years in power, and what did they do? Sell, sell, and sell, all our assets. Also like to ask them about the state of our hospital system as well.

But on the sh#t hole thing, go out to Sydney airport and watch any aussie that gets off a plane from either the USA or Europe, the 1st thing they do is kiss the ground. Why?

To all international cruisers considering sailing to Australia, I urge you to get here soon, because if the Noolition gets voted in the 1st thing their leader plans to do is to "Stop the Boats"
After a recent month trip i totally understand the kiss the ground comment. USA needs to get a grip with how to treat international tourists, airports, hotels and transport are so totally inadequate. At one time i thought the States lead the way but i'm afraid in this competitive world of ours they have lost the plot. LA Airport is a joke, Coolangatta airport on a sunday could show them!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:48   #81
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
For the benefit of overseas observers being amused by all this -- Yes, David_Old_Jersey, "Australian Politics probably does not count"! -- let's indeed get real...
The comment related to the CF Mods

No offence meant. Went once - got run out of town by local plod (Airlie). and got a kicking from some Aboriginals in Cairns.............Had a great time I would go back, but too far to fly.

.......it's not as if anyone has asked to see your PM's birth certificate. Have they?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:07   #82

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

No offence meant. Went once - got run out of town by local plod (Airlie). and got a kicking from some Aboriginals in Cairns.............Had a great time I would go back, but too far to fly.

.......it's not as if anyone has asked to see your PM's birth certificate. Have they?

She wasn't born in Wales by anychance ???

Could you take her back, Please

Glad you had enjoyable time at Airlie and Cairns, two places I spent many good times during my earlier , formative years, possibly crossed paths with you.

Both still great places.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2011, 09:57   #83
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
Do you honestly think stuff would be cheap in the US if people had the money to buy it?
This misses the point, I'm afraid . . . it isn't that people in the US don't have the money, it's that they've chosen to sit on their wallets for items that are arguably luxuries. Virtually no one "needs" a yacht or a motorhome, so when the consumers of such items choose not to purchase them, the tyranny of the Supply/Demand equation will force the market to discover where the price level is that will clear the market.

As with all things, when comparing prices from country to country, terms like "cheap" and "dear" are relative. If a consumer doesn't truly understand the exchange rate mechanism, it's virtually impossible to apply either term appropriately.

TaoJones
Old 03-12-2011, 10:29   #84

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Me'thinks you Aussies doth protest too much. Perhaps it is just the grass is greener on the other side of the fence or something but as a transplanted canuck living in the US with an Aussie wife, I would move to Australia in a heart beat if I could sort out the financials. The rural parts remind me of growing up in Canada in the 40's, great food, great neighbours, great mates but the weather is far better. To me, Australia is one of the great untouched wonders of the civilized world... you have pretty much all the good parts; comm's, transport, good educational and medical system and a sensible work ethic unlike the US where the longer you work the more value folks think you have. Twelve hour days 5 1/2 or 6 days a week doesn't do anyone any good! You just burn out and are no value to your employer or your family.
Politics aside, there a few other countries that offer what Australia does IMHO. I've yet to meet an Aussie I didn't get on with... Capt Phil
Old 03-12-2011, 11:36   #85

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)

In today's Sydney Morning Herald.

Why the high price tag?

The high priced "rage" factor, for aussie consumers.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 03-12-2011, 12:07   #86

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

She wasn't born. She hatched...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 03-12-2011, 12:17   #87

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Me'thinks you Aussies doth protest too much. Perhaps it is just the grass is greener on the other side of the fence or something but as a transplanted canuck living in the US with an Aussie wife, I would move to Australia in a heart beat if I could sort out the financials. The rural parts remind me of growing up in Canada in the 40's, great food, great neighbours, great mates but the weather is far better. To me, Australia is one of the great untouched wonders of the civilized world... you have pretty much all the good parts; comm's, transport, good educational and medical system and a sensible work ethic unlike the US where the longer you work the more value folks think you have. Twelve hour days 5 1/2 or 6 days a week doesn't do anyone any good! You just burn out and are no value to your employer or your family.
Politics aside, there a few other countries that offer what Australia does IMHO. I've yet to meet an Aussie I didn't get on with... Capt Phil
Your wife looking over your shoulder as you type???

And thanks. I migrated here from S. Africa 35 years ago. I could have done a lot worse.
I think it's human nature to eventually take the good stuff around you for granted, but still be annoyed by the rubs.

Having said that, we'll be heading overseas to buy our 'home' as soon as we've sold enough here to get the cash together.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 03-12-2011, 12:34   #88

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Cat man do. Kiwi labor rates are lower than OZ. Plenty of people around who will do good skilled work for cash ;-). Not going to get even close to Thailand if that's what you're looking for.

On the side, I think I might be able to guess how you came up with the Cat man do, not sure if you have ever heard Bob Seger's version:
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Not enough taxpayers.
You nailed it!
Old 03-12-2011, 13:24   #90

Overpriced yeah, shithole, no.
Closed Thread

Tags