Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 07:44   #1

Bahama Island Remote Work Options

All,

I have a job that requires a reliable Phone Service and high speed Internet. Internet Connection needs to be extremely reliable as well as Phone Service as this type of job involves being on call during shifts.

The locations that I'm interested in going are the out islands of the Bahamas (Abaco, Exuma, Eleuthera, etc)

I'm trying to sell the idea that I can work from the islands in Bahamas, but I need to know some facts / users experiences. Below are some questions I'm trying to answer so that I can pitch this idea to my boss.

Questions:
1. Which Island would provide the most reliable internet connection and phone service?

2. When do power outages / reliability issues typically occur (summer/ winter, nights/days)? I'm assuming these are the main causes of internet / phone connection failures.

3. How often does power go out per island?

4. How often does internet go out per Island?

5. What Internet service provider offers the fastest most reliable service?

6. What are the typical internet speeds and when are peak times for slow usage? An easy qualification is can you stream Netflix or not (>1.5mbs)

Any feedback on this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck.
jpmccros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 07:48   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Bahama Island Remote Work Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmccros View Post
All,

I have a job that requires a reliable Phone Service and high speed Internet. Internet Connection needs to be extremely reliable as well as Phone Service as this type of job involves being on call during shifts.

The locations that I'm interested in going are the out islands of the Bahamas (Abaco, Exuma, Eleuthera, etc)

I'm trying to sell the idea that I can work from the islands in Bahamas, but I need to know some facts / users experiences. Below are some questions I'm trying to answer so that I can pitch this idea to my boss.

Questions:
1. Which Island would provide the most reliable internet connection and phone service?

2. When do power outages / reliability issues typically occur (summer/ winter, nights/days)? I'm assuming these are the main causes of internet / phone connection failures.

3. How often does power go out per island?

4. How often does internet go out per Island?

5. What Internet service provider offers the fastest most reliable service?

6. What are the typical internet speeds and when are peak times for slow usage? An easy qualification is can you stream Netflix or not (>1.5mbs)

Any feedback on this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck.
Spanish Wells is a good bet. They have their own power system, I found the internet to be fast and reliable. A bunch of places to go for wi-fi and the cell service was very good.

Best internet is BTC... there is a tower and company store right in Spanish wells downtown.

Otherwise, Nassau.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 17:57   #3

Zboss, for the information. Any information on the internet reliability / Electricity power outages?

Care to comment on the Anchorage locations? I'd like to live off the hook, and was wondering if that's common at that island or do you have to pick up a mooring ball / reside at a marina?
jpmccros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 05:11   #4

My advice would be, don't pitch a particular place. My job is one that can be done remotely, and I have done that in the past. When selling my boss on allowing me to work remotely I would never mention any one, particular place. What if you get there and don't like it? Want to move?

Sell the boss on the concept of working remotely, and then assure him that--no matter where you are--you will always guarantee that you have fast and reliable cell phone service and internet access. There are lots and lots of different places in the world where reliable phone and internet access are readily available. Why tie yourself down to one spot?

Good luck, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 05:18   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Our internet is faster in Abaco than in NC, that said the power is very unreliable, however many cell towers have back up generators. We have many neighbors who work daily and many cruisers who use hot spots and cell service to work daily. If you are not using a lot of bandwidth downloading photos and video you will be fine.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 05:40   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
My advice would be, don't pitch a particular place. My job is one that can be done remotely, and I have done that in the past. When selling my boss on allowing me to work remotely I would never mention any one, particular place. What if you get there and don't like it? Want to move?

Sell the boss on the concept of working remotely, and then assure him that--no matter where you are--you will always guarantee that you have fast and reliable cell phone service and internet access. There are lots and lots of different places in the world where reliable phone and internet access are readily available. Why tie yourself down to one spot?

Good luck, whatever you do.
VERY good advise! When my boss asks where I am I just say "you don't want to know"

Here is a post I wrote detailing my experiences with cell in the Bahamas...

http://www.tikitreksailing.com/staying-grid-part-2/
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote