Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 03:19   #31

Re: Berthing in Singapore. Experiences and opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew73sp View Post
Hi guys, I know that marina manager too. A lot of my friends are members that and I often go out on sailing and fishing trips with then where their boats are berth at. Saw twice the guy shouting at boaters who are members of the club. I don really care, but just feel that he shouldn't be doing that. Cause those are members and not any tom dick and Harry on the street. I definitely wants to berth my boat at one marina too but afraid this guy might give me problems.
as a suggestion, perhaps you should write in to arthur tay (the owner) or the next in line - i think it's paul sun ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 00:17   #32

Boat: Riviera 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
They said, Fine, but if you're going to travel between marinas in Singapore, you need a cruising permit and before you can obtain a cruising permit you must first take and pass a proficiency test. We elected to stay at the RSYC for our entire stay...

... The big drawback is that the yacht club is right next to the terminal where crew and workers board launches to go out to the freighters, which happens 24/7. These are typically 50' to 60' launches with big twin diesels that roar up to the dock, load their passengers and cargo and roar off. These launches easily set down a 2' to 3' wake, causing all the boats in the yacht club to roll violently. It made our stay there very uncomfortable.
I liveaboard at RSYC full time, and have lived in Singapore for six years.

Any non-Singapore licensed boat requires a cruising permit if they wish to travel within Singapore waters. I cruised like that for a year before mine was registered here It's $30 I think. And if you're a visiting yacht without a local Powered PLeasurecraft Driving License then yes, you need to pass a test. Its available online and I easily passed before taking my PPCDL. If you can't pass, you really need to revise your watercraft theory before entering the busy Singapore waters.

You can enter/arrive without AIS, but as previously mentioned you will need to rent a Harbourcraft Transponder (HARTS) from one of the local marinas, for around $30 per day if you're travelling around Singapore waters.

Don't expect that the ferries or commercial tenders will give way, they assume pleasurecraft will ALWAYS give way. And don't forget it is illegal to sail in SG waters!

RSYC is as mentioned a full-service marina. Showing its age a little but a brand new lodge (hotel) wing and dry-stacks with upgrade plans for all areas ongoing. Docks have water/electricity as normal.

Not as posh as one degree 15, but cheaper. Food is cheaper, more local. A bit further out from town (12 mins to vivocity by taxi) and a shuttle bus to take you to the MRT.

The ferry boats do NOT give off 2' to 3' wake that is a total exaggeration. Yes, they cause boats in the marina to roll a little, but it is not severe. In a year on the boat here I've had a glass fall off the table once and sleep like a baby. Visitors often get berthed nearer to the ferry pier though. There is a major wave attenuator so you don't get wake, but the following swell.

I've also found absolute friendliness at Raffles Marina when visiting. I've enjoyed stays at One degree 15 too, but my wallet doesn't like the restaurants/bar so much

Give me a shout if you need any more specific information.
Old 16-06-2014, 07:08   #33

Boat: Passport 45 Ketch

Is it possible to anchor-out anywhere in Singapore waters? I need to be in the area for the last weeks of July but can't afford the marinas on my fixed retirement income. (mostly quoted above S$1000/month)

I am cruising on my 45 foot passport Ketch. We stayed in Danga Bay, Malaysia before, but they are closing for maintenance and not taking new boats til after August.

Currently in Penang,My.
svkatielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 07:35   #34

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft

I'm not sure what the rules are. We have spent a few nights off Kusu or St John's and have not been stopped but I think you need a Marina on your inbound paperwork. Possibility stay at Kepple for the first night then head to Kusu. Else try Puteri Harbour in Malaysia. I've stayed a few times and it's cheaper than SG. They not the best at respond ing to emails or phone calls but once you arrive the service is great.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 08:58   #35

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

Spent a week at One Fifteen before leaving as crew on a delivery to Australia. Although a bit expensive the facilities were top notch and the staff excellent. Didn't notice or hear of quirky manager. Singapore is the 5th largest port in the world. We departed late morning (myself and the captain). My first watch started at six pm just as the sun was setting. I spent six tense hours motoring past literally hundreds of anchored freighters and their associated crew boats buzzing around. An experience I will never forget. The captain took the helm at midnight and when I arose at 6 am there were still anchored freighters as far as the eye could see. It took us about 26 hours total to clear the all freighters. Amazing but scary in the dark - Vancouver harbour seldom has more than 9 ships at anchor. Sorry for the thread drift. No pictures as we got robbed in Papua New Guinea.
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 17:09   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkatielee View Post
Is it possible to anchor-out anywhere in Singapore waters? I need to be in the area for the last weeks of July but can't afford the marinas on my fixed retirement income. (mostly quoted above S$1000/month)

I am cruising on my 45 foot passport Ketch. We stayed in Danga Bay, Malaysia before, but they are closing for maintenance and not taking new boats til after August.

Currently in Penang,My.
Strange I am here at Danga Bay at the momment and boats are coming and going all the time.. The manager said he may change the location of the marina but not in the foreseable future.
Old 16-06-2014, 17:50   #37

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Currently in Penang,My.
And what's the situation for berthing or anchoring out in Penang?

Last I was there, the Marine Department Marina, just south of the First Bridge, was full. And the Tanjong Marina in downtown was mostly in disrepair with only a handful of berths in use.

Do you have phone or e-mail contact details for either of those two marinas?

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 18:11   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Berthing Options

One15 - The newest hoi faloi marina - not my taste, not my style. Probably not the style of most cruisers. Centrally located and convenient.
Keppel - Similar to One15. Central, convenient a bit nicer and fairly new.
RSYC - Oldest and established. Also central.

West side - Raffles. Becoming a popular spot for living aboard. Easy going relaxed atmosphere. Really far out from the city. New train station going in. Not done till 2016.
Dangar Bay - As noted an option on the Malaysia side with low costs and decent transport into Singapore.

East Side - SAF YC - Near the navy base. Relatively difficult transport. Pretty crowded most of the time (no free slots)
Changi Sailing Club - Life on the hook. Probably the cheapest place to stay. Haulout for boats up to around 30-35 feet depending on tide. Bigger boats accommodated but requires crane rental. changi village nearby and decent transport.

Pungol - Berths and docks available. Sort of a wake boarders hangout now. Bit of a motorsail to get to.

SAF Sembawang - An option but way the heck up the channel. Not a recommendation for visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Pretty much as above. To enter Singapore waters now you MUST have an AIS transponder. You can be fined if you don't. Also, once there you cannot take your boat out of the marina, unless leaving the country, without a local POWER BOAT licence! Yes, even if you have an internationally accepted masters ticket! Ridiculous, but true.
Go to Danga Bay in Malaysia, (was free, now about $50/week), take the bus!
Not true. You need a float plan to change locations. They want to know where you are and where you are going.

I am not sure about the requirement to rent a HARTS. I have spoken to lots of visitors and they don't seem to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
It's Disneyland with the death penalty
If I wanted big shiny expensive city I would probably stay in Sydney or Melbourne.
Because Sydney and Melbourne are so close to Asia? I don't see how Sydney is a reasonable alternative to Singapore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
from what i understand, the coast guard / police need to know where you are mostly for security reasons ... since both indonesia and malaysia are but a stone's throw away ... and don't forget, piracy does exist in the region ...

so you get two options - either you have an AIS on board, or you can rent a HARTS transponder locally ... this enables them to see your location at all times ... and this is mandatory for even jet ski's ...

the licensing requirement stems from local waters being extremely busy with commercial traffic (so you know and understand lights, sounds, etc.) and the need to know local waters (so you don't run aground) ...
Like I said not sure about the HARTS rental. It is also nice to know that anyone operating a powered vessel has taking a test and has basic understanding of the rules.

Quote:

Currently in Penang,My.
Changi Sailing club has buoys. For your boat it would be SGD$225/mo or SGD$7/day ($5/ft/mo)

You might get away with one or 2 nights at St. John's bay but not much more. It is actually prohibited to anchor out except at Approved anchorages - these are marked on the Singapore charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Strange I am here at Danga Bay at the momment and boats are coming and going all the time.. The manager said he may change the location of the marina but not in the foreseable future.
Ignore the people talking about death penalty and all that BS about how bad Singapore is. They don't really know what they are talking about.

I've been coming to Singapore for 30 years and have lived here continuously for the last 9.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 20:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
And what's the situation for berthing or anchoring out in Penang?
Do you have phone or e-mail contact details for either of those two marinas?

Al
I am anchored in the Junk Anchorage, just south of the ferry terminal.

What used to be the marina, Tanjong Marina I think, just north of the ferry terminal, is completely gone except for a few pilings.

The just south of the old bridge, maybe Marina Batu Uban, is "re-organizing operations" as of March 2014, but no new info. I can't find phone or contact on web.

Straits Quay Marina new north of Georgetown:
Telephone: +604-890 6521
Email: marina@straitsquay.com
Office Hours: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm daily
*Marina entrance 05deg 27.5min N 100deg 18.9min E. VHF Channel 71.

For more anchorage info :
Quote:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Malaysia/Penang
Old 16-06-2014, 21:01   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Berthing Options

Changi Sailing club has buoys. For your boat it would be SGD$225/mo or SGD$7/day ($5/ft/mo)
Thanks for the update. One caution, when looking at rates for marinas, watch for the key words "Visiting Yachts". Changi Sailing club rates are SGD$26.75/day for "visitors" and the above price for locals. $20 for buoy and $5 for temp membership plus 7% tax.

When I called yesterday he said, "No it is not allowed to anchor outside our buoys and we have no buoys available presently".
Old 16-06-2014, 22:24   #41
Marine Service Provider

One wonders why any visiting sailing yachts would have any interest in Singapore.
They do not except internationally recognised qualifications so you have to get a local powerboat cert !
You are not allowed to sail in Singapore waters! Sort of defeats the object of having a sailboat really.
Expensive and poor air quality when summatra start burning.

On the plus side you can buy most things you need even if it is at an inflated price.

You CAN anchor in the Johor straights on the Malaysian side.
Danga Bay is cheap and open !
Puteri is more expensive with many empty pontoons.
I would look at noonsite for phone numbers etc.
Safe sailing
Old 17-06-2014, 03:08   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Thanks for the update. One caution, when looking at rates for marinas, watch for the key words "Visiting Yachts". Changi Sailing club rates are SGD$26.75/day for "visitors" and the above price for locals. $20 for buoy and $5 for temp membership plus 7% tax.

When I called yesterday he said, "No it is not allowed to anchor outside our buoys and we have no buoys available presently".
Oops. My bad - I did not know that...

Thanks for the update. And yes they are crowded lately.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 07:27   #43

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
One wonders why any visiting sailing yachts would have any interest in Singapore.
They do not except internationally recognised qualifications so you have to get a local powerboat cert !
You are not allowed to sail in Singapore waters! Sort of defeats the object of having a sailboat really.
Expensive and poor air quality when summatra start burning.

On the plus side you can buy most things you need even if it is at an inflated price.

Safe sailing
Visiting yachts can get a 'local cruising permit' through any marina / club as long as you pass an online test - which is tedious but nothing like as difficult as doing the 'driving test' for powered pleasure craft. The online test concentrates on local regulations, reefs, prohibited areas, etc. International skipper qualifications won't help with the local knowledge and it seems a bit arrogant to suggest otherwise.

Take a look at the attached screen grab of Singapore harbour AIS readings..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	83379  
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 02:55   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
Visiting yachts can get a 'local cruising permit' through any marina / club as long as you pass an online test - which is tedious but nothing like as difficult as doing the 'driving test' for powered pleasure craft. The online test concentrates on local regulations, reefs, prohibited areas, etc. International skipper qualifications won't help with the local knowledge and it seems a bit arrogant to suggest otherwise.

Take a look at the attached screen grab of Singapore harbour AIS readings..
International qualifications don't help with locol knowledge anywhere. Neither does an online piece of paper. AIS is a bit academic around SG I put mine on 1 nm ans keep my eyes open and wait till i have passed ! Its basically just too damn busy to relax and enjoy cruising...... But hey the people who work there make good money so good luck to them

Tags
enc, Singapore, singapore