Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 10:18   #91

I listened to a couple of them and they're not very good at the moment. From a production standpoint, iLife '06 will make podcasting much easier and allow more creativity. Content is king and the most difficult to deliver on. That's what will make or brake a show.
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 17:30   #92

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Production (editing etc) does not concern me so much as the logistics of setting up the feed to be acceptable onto Apple, i.e. code, website infrastructure, as well as figuring some web place to put the large files where you don't get charged for downloads, and where the connection is fast enough, (preferably free).

And you're right that content is the key.
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 07:40   #93

Boat: CT 47 - Wanderlust
My husband and I have already begun our cruising jobs before we have left our land based jobs. He took classes and was federally certified to repair refrigeration/air conditioning. He has slowly obtained the tools required and is already repairing those units on boats in the Chesapeake Bay. He has worked with diesel engines all his adult life beginning in the Army and has taken additional classes, obtained tools, etc. so he can work on diesel engines while we cruise. He's a wiz with rewiring, also from the Army and us buying, remodeling and selling houses and boats.

I am a former hairdresser and instructor; work as a paralegal; am now repairing sails and making cushions with my Sailrite machine.

He is ready to take his 6 pack and SSB test. I will follow next year. He hopes to take the 100 ton next year.

We believe we can make some money to help the kitty while cruising. We have taken the boat apart and put it back together.

We began putting together our plan in 2002. We now live on our CT 47 in the Bay. Retirement Feb 2007. We leave next summer!
debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 08:25   #94

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22

I hope I run in to folks like you when I start to venture further myself. For me the next few years will involve finding a boat and getting it ready. I am only 59, but it wont be long.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 08:52   #95

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Quote:
debby once whispered in the wind:
My husband and I have already begun our cruising jobs before we have left our land based jobs.
Very impressive. We wish you luck!

Jim H
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 13:14   #96

Boat: CT 47 - Wanderlust
Thanks Jim. However, I have to give credit to all of the people who have posted on this and other boards. We gleaned information and kept notes. So many people give out great information. It's there for anybody to go forward with.

I would advise anyone who has been bitten by the cruising bug to read, read, read; ask questions; go sailing with anybody who will let you on their boat and start looking for your cruising boat several years before you are prepared to buy one.

Thanks to all who contribute their hard earned knowledge to all of us with a dream.
debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 21:47   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
That is just great that you can do all those things and make a bit of cruising kitty out of it. Sadly for me, I tend to be one of those fellows that go and open my mouth and volunteer my services before I engage that thing that holds my ears apart. After I am up to my elbows in something I wish I never started, I say to my wife, "remind me never to do this again". She does, usually in the middle of when I am doing it again.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 22:40   #98
Kai Nui

Wheels, a perfect example of why I started this thread. Like you, I tend to volunteer those services. I have the background, but I still consider boatwork fun, and I would hate to change that by making it a vocation.
Debby, great for you. I wish you great success.
It is interesting, when I started this thread, there were a couple of suggestions, but it sort of died. Then, someone found it, and it has taken off. I have seen some fantastic ideas here, and hope to see more. I have to say that my current situation, in contrast to my situation when I first posted here is much changed. I am back to plan A and trying to build a kitty so I do not have to work while I cruise. That being said, I have seen a few people take off with some of the ideas here, and I suspect some very successful cruising businesses will sprout from this. As I have said before, the creativity on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I am very interested to see if the Podcasting idea goes anywhere.
Old 15-02-2006, 23:34   #99

Well Kai.

I believe I've said all I wanted to say about any business plans on this thread.

Might actually give away a idea that might actually make me some serious money? In this case. I wouldn't be making any money if I gave the idea away!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 07:25   #100

earning while cruising

I may be able to help here. I'm looking for someone to visit all places in the Caribbean and surrounding countries doing a little selling. It's internet based, legal, honest with no capital outlay and no goods to carry.
I could also be interested in paying for articles on the various places and activities in the Caribbean.

I'm not claiming that you'll earn millions but either job could keep you in food, drink, fuel etc while living the ideal life
tenerifeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 08:35   #101
Kai Nui

OK, I'll bite. Tell me more.
Old 26-02-2006, 10:24   #102

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Articles

I'm your man, but I will not be available for about 5 years. Having said that I may / or may not be purchasing a boat currently in Texas. If I purchase I will likely leave it there for a while and sail to the Islands a couple of months per year.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 00:04   #103

I'm afraid I can't wait 5 years.
I'm joint owner of several websites in various parts of the world but the one I'm interested in building up at the moment is www.caribbeandiving.com We're in the process of rebuilding it and would like to have a sailing blog, a diving blog and a fishing blog from people doing what so many others would like to do i.e. cruise the Caribbean going wherever fancy takes us. We also have a directory section for shore based businesses for which we would like someone to sell advertising space this would be on a generous commission basis. The successful applicant would work his/her own itinerary. Interested? e-mail me!
tenerifeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 01:19   #104

Kai Nui,It's right in front of you mate!!!

Dont worry about making a bit of money!!Make a sh*t load.4 Questions,1-do ya own or could you get a 70's suite 2-Have ya got the gift of the gab 3-Are you fast on ya feet 4-dDo you really want to succede??It's all there in front of ya face,but you carn't see it,"CaptainK" Take him under ya wing "Be his manager!"And take him on the road/water ,this man is a natural comedian,he has more jokes than Bush,Blair,or even Johny Howard."Kai Nui's comedy hour"Starring...... Every yacht club needs a laugh,and there's gold in them there hills.Hmmm,just thinking!Ya might have to go half and half,but the harder ya work him,the more you'll make.Mind you,I haven't run this by the Cap yet."Cruiser Forum On Tour"Hell get the lot of us there,It would be a bloody great way to spend the summer,wakeing up sleepy yacht clubs.While this Idea is meant as a bit of comical thought"and no dissrespect to anyone,especialy CaptainK,It is viable.Take a small thought and throw it around a bit.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 01:36   #105

Hell Mudnut.

I'm down, on making money.

But it's also up to Kai?

But, I'm sure we could really make alot of sailors out there die laughing?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote