Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 03:35   #106

No ****!!!Small thoughts go a long way,KISS theory,`4/5 boats 6to 8 people,travel around to different areas a bit of"and I say that lightly"comedy,Insite to the sailing type minded people,and Bob's ya uncle,money to be made....Hell if you dudes wont try It ,I will.Mind you it's just a thoughtIf ya look outside the square,It's easier to come into the light,Money,money,money,If only it wasen't needed!!!!!
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:45   #107

Yeah like they say. Money makes the world go round!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 20:42   #108
Kai Nui

Mudnut, my polyester suit melted on the exhaust of my bike, so I gues I am out of luck I tried the promoter thing when I was a teenager. I hooked up with a band that had produced their first single. I never want to do that again. Man what a PITA.
Tenerifeman has a good opportunity going. Won't fit my loaction and timeline, but it would be great for someone in the Carib. I wish I could do it, but by the time I got to that side of the ditch, Someone else will be reaping the benefits. What happened with the podcasting idea? I think there is potential there.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:41   #109

Boat: Bayfield 40
Just joined cruisers forum after reading this thread. Great ideas on keeping the money coming in. Just remember that real money is always made with leverage. Fixing an engine by yourself can generate a maximum amount of $ per day based on the number of hours in a day. $ 30 x 8 hours = $ 240. However, having an assistant that works with you for those 8 hours could increase your income by over 50%. Pay them $ 12.00 per hour and charge $ 20.00 per hour and suddenly you have an extra $ 64.00 per day. Easier said than done, but remember that if you are creating employment opportunties for local people it may actually be easier dealing with local ways than working on your own.

Here's another idea. The biggest challenge for small businesses around the world is developing distribution channels outside their home country or regions for their products. Find these small businesses where you live and sign an exclusive distribution agreement with them for your intended crusing grounds. (warning: don't sign an agreement with a ski jacket manufacturer if you are selling to the islands) The cost will probably be nil and their risk of financial failure is nil. They will probably even give you the marketing and samples for free.

Offer these goods to local merchants initially on a consignment basis to ensure there is adequate demand. If they are happy with the sales and the margins, sign them up and they will buy direct from the manufacturer. The manufacturer in your home country will handle on billing and shipping logistics and will pay you a commission directly to your crusing kitty in your home country. You will probably not be breaking any local laws as you are only introducing products to them and not selling directly. Think of those goods that the local population may want but can't get keeping in mind the culture and the income.

Now take the same idea in reverse. Find those goods in your cruising grounds that may have demand back home from small businesses. Sign the exclusive distribution agreement with them and approach possible buyers back home. It's a little more difficult this way to get the commission check without breaking the local laws but with some creativity you may be able to receive your commission from the buyer in your home country.

Keep the ideas coming. I love to watch the entreprennurial spirit in action.

Brent
Broached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:08   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Speaking of assistants, Brent (Broached) suggests ”... Pay them $ 12.00 per hour and charge $ 20.00 per hour ...”.
I’ve always found it preferable to hire highly skilled people, pay them $30-$35/Hr, and charge them out at $45-$50/Hr.
Remember, your reputation is riding on their work. Certainly in the trades, reputation is everything.

I found your “Distribution Channels” ideas intriguing, and suspect you’re on to something there. My 10 years in wholesale distribution (electrical) certainly support your remarks concerning the ‘difficulties’.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:18   #111

Boat: Columbia 45
I've been reading this thread and it seems that most talk is business. I am new here, but when I go I am leaving myself open to making pin money.

My budget will allow for my cruising style and if the opportunity arrises I/we wil work for a few bucks here and there. I know it sounds hap-hazard. Have worked and stressed to many yearsthis time it's for a new lifestyle.

Lakbay dagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 19:59   #112
Kai Nui

Hey Lakbay dagat(sea traveler)! By the time you finish your Columbia you should be proficient in all forms of boat repair And, FWIW, You could throw Karaoke parties and charge admission.
Cruising DJ! Now there's an idea. Might bring in the nickles and dimes without getting you hands dirty.
Glad to see you finally dropped in here.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:50   #113

I like the idea about being a "rep" for US based businesses looking to expand into smaller, harder to get to markets.

However, my cruising kitty will be flush with $ from my latest invention......INFLATABLE DART BOARDS!! Whattya think?? Pretty cool huh?
My last invention, screen doors for submarines, didn't do so well. But this one's got success written all over it.
Old 07-03-2006, 14:06   #114

Boat: Columbia 45
Cool

Kai Nui,
that's an idea I see the possibilities of drunken sailoors falling overboard with the microphone still in hand.

I want two pins and coladas, one for each han.........
Lakbay dagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 17:23   #115

How about a floating brothel?

There's always a horny (randy) sailor out there. Needing some satisfaction!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-03-2006, 17:33   #116
Kai Nui

K, Lakbay dagat is speaking from experience. Did you notice the stern rail on Sundari is loose for the deck work I am doing
Although, I have yet to see anyone fall in while singing.
In all seriousness, a cruising party planner could probably do well. Hook up with some of the local yacht clubs along the way and organize special events for a modest fee.
FWIW, Lakbay is responsible for our karaoke set up. It's all his fault
Old 07-03-2006, 17:41   #117

Oh yeah, Kai.

I did noticed the stern rail. I forgot to ask you about that?

Old 07-03-2006, 17:53   #118
Kai Nui

Lakbay didn't either, but now we know he can swim
Old 07-03-2006, 17:59   #119
Kai Nui

vilanomark, the international rep thing is where I was originally going with this thread. Just need to figure out how to market it, but if you can sel inflatable dart boards, you should have no problem. Screen doors to the navy is a piece of cake. They will buy anything that has the low bid
Old 07-03-2006, 21:55   #120

So Kai!!

You know "Lakbay?"