Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 06:52   #1

Boat: S2 11.0
Boat delivery advice - Rock Hall to Deale MD

I finally found the "right" boat and I'm taking the plunge! Got hold of a decent 36' sail boat and I'm closing on it this week. My challenge is getting it from Rock Hall, MD where it is currently docked down to its new marina in Deale, MD. The trip is about 30 nm and I need recommendations on delivery. Anyone know a reliable but reasonably priced delivery captain in that area? I would sail her myself but that presents a ground transportation issue (getting from Deale to Rock Hall).
FruiVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:04   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: boat delivery advice - Rock Hall to Deale MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita View Post
I finally found the "right" boat and I'm taking the plunge! Got hold of a decent 36' sail boat and I'm closing on it this week. My challenge is getting it from Rock Hall, MD where it is currently docked down to its new marina in Deale, MD. The trip is about 30 nm and I need recommendations on delivery. Anyone know a reliable but reasonably priced delivery captain in that area? I would sail her myself but that presents a ground transportation issue (getting from Deale to Rock Hall).
Seems like a cab would be cheaper than a delivery captain??
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:09   #3

Boat: Grampian 26

you don't have a friend with a drivers license that can drop you off and meet you at your new dock later that afteroon with your car
Old 11-01-2013, 07:13   #4

Its a much shorter trip by water than by land. But you'd have to pay the land portion of the journey for a delivery skipper anyway. Take the trip with a friend with car.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:07   #5
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Boat delivery advice - Rock Hall to Deale MD

I assume from the op that you live aboard in Deale at one of the marinas. If you are at Shipwright Harbor they used to offer a ride to the local transit or even the airport so maybe they could run you up to Annapolis. Don't think Herrington Harbor offers the same service. If you can get a bus to Annapolis maybe the seller or broker would be kind enough to pick you up there. Try Transit Information Overview | Maryland Transit Administration and Rail and Bus Transit Routes .

I assume you've seen this boat so how did you get there to look at it? Ask around and maybe someone who has comprehensive car insurance (the kind that covers any car they drive) could accompany you and drive the car back while you sail down. People in Deale seem very kind in general and during the time we had our boat there I once was loaned a car by a waitress in the diner to go get groceries and take them back to my boat after she learned my car was out of service and I was walking to the diner from the marina every day so I could eat! It would help if you offer to pay for the gas and maybe breakfast or lunch on the way and would certainly be cheaper than a delivery captain! We did use a delivery captain who was from Annapolis when we bought our boat and had it delivered from Connecticut and I will have my husband pm you his details later today.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:46   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I'm a delivery skipper in Annapolis so I'll shoot myself squarely in the foot and tell you this is a ground transportation issue, not a delivery issue. Getting to and from Rock Hall means a car. One way rentals won't work - nothing available. No public transportation. Your choices are to get a ride or work your way to BWI and take a Super Shuttle to Rock Hall.

I've done Annapolis to Rock Hall by dinghy for a delivery but I wouldn't recommend it this time of year. Too cold.

Are you an SSCA member? I'm an SSCA Cruising Station and would help with ground transportation if you are -- just feed me and pay for gas.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita View Post
I'd be happy to deliver your boat. USCG Master, US Sail Instructor. I'm 5 minutes from Rock Hall, and know the bay well. Contact me by PM and we can discuss a plan.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery