Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:15   #31

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top
Re: Boat Name Change?

We de-named and re-named our fibreglass & wood boat with a pretty elaborate ceremony. Other than a hefty fee for the USCG - it was great fun to research and create the ceremony. I researched several ceremonies from the Internet, then wrote my own and even checked pronunciation of all the Greek wind god names on wikipedia (I am greek, but ancient greek god names were beyond my pronunciation skills!).

We celebrated w/ 2 friends and then invited the folks from the catamaran next slip to eat with us. Yes, we also took her out and sailed backwards at some point. In any case, it was great fun. Superstition aside, I am happy we got to share the moment with friends and make the boat truly "ours" with the ceremony.

cheers,
Nat Kat
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:50   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
This thread has spiraled completely out of control. I love it!!!

Would I be tempting fate if I renamed my boat NEPTUNE SUCKS?

People who really exist would think you were an idiot for giving your boat such an ugly name when there are so many great ones. You would probably blame neptune.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Ah yes, perhaps Neptune doesn't exist. But can you afford to take the chance?

And I suspect denaming/renaming done properly drops a few points in your seamanship black box. Credit to be used someday when you really need it.

If nothing else, the ceremony is good fun. What's the harm?

As I said, I thought the ceremony was stupid and pretentious. That's not "fun" to me -- and there's no "perhaps" to me about whether Neptune exists or not.

He does not. We make our own good and bad luck for the most part on boats by picking a bad boat, or taking care of it badly, not knowing enough, etc.

I've had trouble enough with my boat, but nothing I could blame on some imaginary god thought up by people who had no science and needed some explanation for things like ocean storms.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58   #34

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
People who really exist would think you were an idiot for giving your boat such an ugly name when there are so many great ones. You would probably blame neptune.
Raku, Doood, I was just kidding...
Old 08-07-2013, 05:41   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Raku, Doood, I was just kidding...

Well ... I'm not a "dood..."

and we had a whole thread recently about bad-taste boat names. We're not face to face, you know... can't see you grin. You can't see me give you a wicked grin as I say what I said ... but there are people who believe they have to appease this fictional god, and it amazes me.

Most, I think, are just using it as an excuse to fawn over their boats, and I get that completely! I just think there's much better ways to do it. I had a dock party when I moved my boat from one marina to another. Any excuse will do!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00   #36

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well ... I'm not a "dood..."

and we had a whole thread recently about bad-taste boat names. We're not face to face, you know... can't see you grin. You can't see me give you a wicked grin as I say what I said ... but there are people who believe they have to appease this fictional god, and it amazes me.

Most, I think, are just using it as an excuse to fawn over their boats, and I get that completely! I just think there's much better ways to do it. I had a dock party when I moved my boat from one marina to another. Any excuse will do!
Sorry, Doodette.

My plan at this point is to have the hull painted this winter. It is overdue. I checked with the Coast Guard, and they have a 4-month backlog on name changes for recreational vessels. So...I figure the time is right to change the name when I repaint.
Maybe I'll just quietly relaunch with a new name, not say anything to anyone (except the Coast Guard) and see if anyone notices.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:09   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Sorry, Doodette.

My plan at this point is to have the hull painted this winter. It is overdue. I checked with the Coast Guard, and they have a 4-month backlog on name changes for recreational vessels. So...I figure the time is right to change the name when I repaint.
Maybe I'll just quietly relaunch with a new name, not say anything to anyone (except the Coast Guard) and see if anyone notices.

Oh I'm going to have a party, for sure!
Old 09-07-2013, 19:13   #38

OP:
Our fee to Document the vessel with a new name was high. $450 if memory serves. Not sure if this is important to you or not.

Rakuflames, I don't know that the point is whether one "believes" in Gods ...
Ancient myths survive because they connect the hopes and fears and spirits of all human beings. Sail technology is ancient tech. It is amazing to see this ancient tech still thrives in our computer age when so much other ancient tech has been lost or made obsolete.
Meanwhile I am off to sacrifice a black chicken to the Computer Gods and pray for a better internet service at our marina ...
cheers,
Natasya
Old 09-07-2013, 19:26   #39

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you believe that changing your boats name involves a ceremony and all the other crap... you believe in a god...
Your beyond help... do what makes you happy...
I would be one of the first to make fun of the "god" thing but I think it has more to do with pratical things like ending up with a hole in your boat. Boat names were carved into the hull and after removing several old names you ended up with a hole in your hull and, well,there you go.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 19:44   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
OP:
Our fee to Document the vessel with a new name was high. $450 if memory serves. Not sure if this is important to you or not.

Ancient myths survive because they connect the hopes and fears and spirits of all human beings. Sail technology is ancient tech. It is amazing to see this ancient tech still thrives in our computer age when so much other ancient tech has been lost or made obsolete.
Meanwhile I am off to sacrifice a black chicken to the Computer Gods and pray for a better internet service at our marina ...
cheers,
Natasya

Will that work? If so I will convert!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 19:51   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
OP:

cheers,
Natasya

Will that work? If so I will convert!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 19:53   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I would be one of the first to make fun of the "god" thing but I think it has more to do with pratical things like ending up with a hole in your boat. Boat names were carved into the hull and after removing several old names you ended up with a hole in your hull and, well,there you go.
And saluting Neptune seals the holes?

For those who value it, fine, but for me a first rate party will suffice.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:54   #43

Hi RakuFlames,

The Computer Gods are fickle in their ways and wonton in their data destruction. Worse, they travel with the vicious daemon named TIME SINK who lives on FaceBook and various Internet Chat Forums. She has been known to possess First Tier Tech Support workers on many occasions. In any case, she is very difficult to appease.

The Wireless Connection God has spoken to me in dreams and expressed his preference for sacrifices of black chickens. We have enjoyed His Supreme Bounty in the form of free wireless at our house for the past 2 years.
Alas, our sailing vessel is Out of Favor with the WiFi God. We are without Internet at the Marina. I will let you know if the chicken sacrifice works but feel that this obstacle may require the sacrifice of small rectangular green pieces of paper ... or an ox or something ...
cheers,
NatKat
Old 09-07-2013, 21:19   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Raku-
"this fictional god,"
So, you are saying that particular god is fictional but other(s) are real?

How is one to know?

There could be a million gods, or just one with a million faces/facets/names. Or none. How is one to know which one(s) are fictional?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 22:00   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Raku-
"this fictional god,"
So, you are saying that particular god is fictional but other(s) are real?

How is one to know?

There could be a million gods, or just one with a million faces/facets/names. Or none. How is one to know which one(s) are fictional?

But I didn't say that.