Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Boat Name Change?

Raku-
Actually, you did say that, in #35:
"but there are people who believe they have to appease this fictional god, "

So perhaps you meant they thought it was a fictional god, as opposed to what you wrote, which was your own words referring to a fictional god.

Or perhaps you didn't say it, and a real god came down and editted your post, just to mess with you. Loki would be a good candidate for that.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 13:50   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Raku-

So perhaps you meant they thought it was a fictional god, as opposed to what you wrote, which was your own words referring to a fictional god.

Or perhaps you didn't say it, and a real god came down and editted your post, just to mess with you. Loki would be a good candidate for that.<G>

I did call Neptune a fictional god, and I think the Norse and Roman versions as well.

What I didn't do was comment on any other gods, nor will I. I'll go back and quote both posts for your benefit, so you can see that you made assumptions, things I didn't say. You imagined that there was more I believe and then quizzed me about it. Maybe Loki helped you read my post.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 13:56   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Raku-

Here you go, Hello -- here is where Loki steered you wrong. it's your post ...

"Raku-
"this fictional god,"
So, you are saying that particular god is fictional but other(s) are real?

How is one to know?

There could be a million gods, or just one with a million faces/facets/names. Or none. How is one to know which one(s) are fictional?"

You see the part in bold? I never said THAT. Loki (or you) put those words in my mouth, as it were (those fictional gods can make a lot of trouble!)

I most definitely said that Neptune is a fictional god.

I never said whether or not any other(s) are real. And, i'm not going to. I'm not going to debate religion on this board.
Old 15-07-2013, 19:09   #49

Boat: Pearson 31-2

I paid my penance in the form of forms and funds to Falling Waters, WV. Removed all traces and references to the old name ("Sparkle" - ugh) from the boat. Then I poured some Jack Daniels on the bow and into the water and introduced the boat under her new name to God, the wind and waters and asked for their indulgence.

I believe in God, but not necessarily the forms religions take to solicit and market Him/Her.
Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 19:13   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
I paid my penance in the form of forms and funds to Falling Waters, WV. Removed all traces and references to the old name ("Sparkle" - ugh) from the boat. Then I poured some Jack Daniels on the bow and into the water and introduced the boat under her new name to God, the wind and waters and asked for their indulgence.

I believe in God, but not necessarily the forms religions take to solicit and market Him/Her.

I like the idea of "christening" your boat with a little of your favorite alcoholic drink, just to make the boat more a part of you. That would be expensive for me as I like good champagne, but ... that's life.

I agree with you. SPARKLE is an uninspired name for a boat. And a tough mark to meet!
Old 15-07-2013, 21:22   #51

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Best way to toast the boat is to drink the booze, and later pee on the bow !! Now this makes as much sense as a lot of post's in this silly thread! LOL Pay your money to the coasties and change the name of the boat !! Don't get so carried away!! Its a boat not a church !! just my 2 cents
Old 15-07-2013, 21:33   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Best way to toast the boat is to drink the booze, and later pee on the bow !! Now this makes as much sense as a lot of post's in this silly thread!
ROFL! That is an inspired suggestion. You need to elaborate though. Is this part of a public ceremony or strictly private or just a couples thing?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 00:19   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
ROFL! That is an inspired suggestion. You need to elaborate though. Is this part of a public ceremony or strictly private or just a couples thing?
I think its both private and public.

you have the party supply lost of drink of what you believe should be human filtered before the 'christening' and to show how much you love your vessel you have to make sure you imbibe more of the ceremonial drink than anyone(or everyone if your really doing it right)else. then while noone is looking you sneak off and christen away all over the bow. probably several times through the course of the night.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 03:31   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Best way to toast the boat is to drink the booze, and later pee on the bow !! Now this makes as much sense as a lot of post's in this silly thread! LOL Pay your money to the coasties and change the name of the boat !! Don't get so carried away!! Its a boat not a church !! just my 2 cents

Exactly, except that I'm not going to pee on my boat. It's not going to get a LOT of champagne! But a little bit? Sure.
Old 16-07-2013, 03:31   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Yes.
Old 18-07-2013, 17:13   #56

Boat: Ohlson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Sounds to me "freak squall" like he should have had the ceremony.
Sometimes the irony is jest is lost jeanathon.

Happy sailing.
Gavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 18:29   #57

Boat: Sabre 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavala

Sometimes the irony is jest is lost jeanathon.

Happy sailing.
Not sure what that means, but yes to the irony. I laughed out loud at that post.
Old 19-07-2013, 22:35   #58

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

Actually, the correct way to do it in the traditional re-naming ceremony is to have a VIRGIN pee on the bow of the boat (i know ... who writes this stuff?)

In any case, we skipped this part in our otherwise very traditional ceremony. The only virgins we know are kids or grandkids ... and it seemed a bit of a strain on family loyalty to ask this of them.

So far Neptune and the Wind Gods Aeolus, Anemoi, Broeas, Eurus, Notus, and Zephyrus seems to have forgiven us for the omission. But we gave them LOTS of champagne and red wine, to make up for any mistakes in the ceremony.

cheers,
NatKat
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 11:55   #59

Boat: Hughes 38
I changed my boats name by sanding off the old- southern cross, and ill stick the new one on and go sailing. I hope god appreciates my pragmatism. I'm thinking about "Recombobulated" but I'm not sure if I can use a fake word and I'd hate to have to spell that over a radio...
Old 20-07-2013, 11:58   #60

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post

In any case, we skipped this part in our otherwise very traditional ceremony. The only virgins we know are kids or grandkids ... and it seemed a bit of a strain on family loyalty to ask this of them.

NatKat
Depending on the age of the kids, take the diaper off and let them play up there a few minutes and your boat is sure to be divinely christened. I have a 14 month old I can lend you.