Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 18:17   #1

Busking?

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried busking whilst visiting distant shores?

I imagine it's the sort of thing that wouldn't require a work permit in most places if you were just doing it for a bit of spare cash. I play guitar and my partner plays keyboards so I was toying with the idea of getting a set together of some well known favourites for street busking and maybe even organising the occassional show at resorts, local bars, backpackers hostels etc.

If anybody has tried this or knows of someone who has, i'd love to hear how they got on.
AussieDreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 19:31   #2

I had to look it up. In English (American) it seems to mean "street performer" If you're good, I'm sure people will always throw some money into your guitarcase.

Depending on the area, its a good way to make some coin or get arrested. Again, depending on the area....
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 19:38   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Busking ain't easy. You guys are from Melbourne, right? Try busking in the centre of Melbourne - that would be a fair indication of how successful you are likely to be.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 22:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDreamers
I was just wondering if anyone here has tried busking whilst visiting distant shores?

I imagine it's the sort of thing that wouldn't require a work permit in most places if you were just doing it for a bit of spare cash. I play guitar and my partner plays keyboards so I was toying with the idea of getting a set together of some well known favourites for street busking and maybe even organising the occassional show at resorts, local bars, backpackers hostels etc.

If anybody has tried this or knows of someone who has, i'd love to hear how they got on.
It all depends on wether Brigitte can get the gutarist to "not drink scotch,And, sing"<GRIIIIIN>Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32   #5
bru

Used to busk, on a good day sometimes made quite a lot of money too.

On the other hand, most days what I made was hardly worth the effort.

And then there were the three times when the hat was nicked and the occasion when the guitar and my wallet went with it (I wasn't arguing with three blokes all bigger than me even in broad daylight in a busy town centre)

Dunno about Australia and elsewhere but in England these days "street entertainment" as it's now known is, like everything else in life, regulated. To busk in most places in England, if you're allowed to do it at all, you need a permit from the local authority. Some towns are more easy going than others but most times you'll get moved on fairly rapidly by the police and if they see you again that day you'll get a warning and then you only carry on if you fancy a free visit to the local nick!

We used to do a lot of impromptu sessions in pubs and pass the hat which was generally more sucessful than standing on a street corner but that's pretty much gone by the board these days too. There ain't so many pubs where it's on these days (they're more interested in selling food than beer) and bleedin' rules and regs get in the way as well

There's people who'll tell you that you can make £100 a day busking. Well yeah, once in a blue moon you might but most days you'll be bloody lucky to make a fiver. I used to reckon it a good day if three hours or so turned up enough for 20 fags and a coupla beers

Coupla tips - salt the hat (eg; put a couple of quid in small coins in it to start off) and if you're doing well trouser the coins fairly regularly leaving just enough in the hat to match what you started with. If you've got too much in there it's a tempting target for opportunist theives

Pocket any and all notes straight away! There's nothing gonna ruin you're day more than watching a tenner sail off down the high street with no bloody chance of catching it (s'truth, it happened to a mate of mine)

And don't busk if you're no good. You don't need a huge repertoire but you'll only make money if you're actually able to play and sing (if singing is your thing). The High Street is *not* the place to learn new tunes, stick to the stuff you can play really well

Oh yeah, keyboards. Hmmm. Not great for busking. Accordion perhaps? The ideal busking instrument needs no power, no amplification and is light enough to pick up and run with!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:08   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

I guess anything is possible...............but with regard to "Backpackers" it IME these are generally populated by folk who won't exactly be throwing into the hat.

In developed countries their will likely be a permit problem, coupled with in good paying areas treading on the locals toes. In the more 3rd world places you will have the same problems, 'cept that you may be encroaching on someone's livelihood..........

What about going down the teaching music route? Somewhat more organisation required but keeps yer off the streets.

Just an idea, but judging by Thread Responses here it would seem that Piracy with Guns seems popular.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 14:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
It all depends on wether Brigitte can get the gutarist to "not drink scotch,And, sing"<GRIIIIIN>Mudnut.
You've got a valid point there mate! Although she shouldn't have too much trouble with the scotch, it's the 'boat' brewed belgian style triples she needs to watch out for As for the singing, I was thinking of a bit of F**k I'm Dead! style growling, how do you reckon that'd go in the tropics? I might even borrow some fake blood and an apron of Jay
Old 08-01-2007, 16:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
Love you're concerns!

On a more serious note: thanks for everyones response. The accordion versus the keyboard is not a bad tip.

As for the permits etc. I already had some concerns about that.
I'm sure Anthony and I can come up with a few other things to make some money on the way.

Cheers,

Brigitte
Old 08-01-2007, 22:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDreamers
You've got a valid point there mate! Although she shouldn't have too much trouble with the scotch, it's the 'boat' brewed belgian style triples she needs to watch out for As for the singing, I was thinking of a bit of F**k I'm Dead! style growling, how do you reckon that'd go in the tropics? I might even borrow some fake blood and an apron of Jay
Apparently all ya need up this way is a "ukulele"Google seaman dan.Its got a sound thingie.Mind you he is a TI local.Sort of Hawaii meets Fiddy cent's,but,with looove! Jo says alow alowMudnut.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:18   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Seaman Dan is right up my ally mudnut, but can't get it on limewire.

Know of anything similar i can try for?

Dave
Old 09-01-2007, 18:55   #11

I think you should sail to Peru or wherever it is they grow all those flute/recorder players I seem to recall seeing everywhere. Would be nice to see how they like street musicians in their own cities....
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Seaman Dan is right up my ally mudnut, but can't get it on limewire.

Know of anything similar i can try for?

Dave
Trick Question hey??,OK,Whats a limewire??And dont hang one on me,Im only here between beers,If it's dial-up I carn't help out there.But ya can buy a CD Mudnut.
Old 09-01-2007, 23:22   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Limewire can be downloaded for free here. it allows you to search for and share music, video's, software, speeches, images etc with anyone else for free.

The next version called Limewire Pro can be bought online or funnily enough once yo have the free version you can get the pro versiom for nothing by using the old version.

Allows you to get that one good song without getting the whole album

Haven't had to buy music for years.

LimeWire: The Official Site for the Fastest File Sharing Program on the Planet

!

Dave
Old 10-01-2007, 00:08   #14

Cat man, has your limewire stopped working in the New Year? I'm not sure if the thing has been shut down or if the new ISP I'm with blocks Peer-to-Peer downloading. (We shifted the yacht to Mexico for a bit)
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 00:57   #15

Boat: Looking for a new boat
As a somewhat well established musician I will say that busking is probably he hardest thing I have done in my career. It is also the most soul sucking way to express yourself. Imagine getting up in front of a crowd of strangers and saying, "Here's my soul, I don't care if it's nine in the morning and you want me to die, could you pay me for playing music you don't like?" I would rather starve.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote