Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 17:51   #16

Boat: Cal 2-29
Re: Buy Parking Space for Your Boat - Washington State

Thank you for the answer, yes you are right in many respects. I got acquainted with the answers Thank you very much who responded. I am not aware of this topic and have come to the conclusion that it is better for me to stand on Marina, to pay for parking. For me it is not so expensive or in the future to find a buoy and already stand on it.
stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 17:58   #17

Yes, I want to constantly. I want permanent parking and stay in the marina forever, even if I later buy a boat with a larger displacement
* No, I do not need only winter parking
now I see. Judging by the information that I received, I'd rather rent a pier
Old 17-12-2018, 21:53   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Ok now that that is decided I would recommend the port of bremerton marina in bremerton .
They have many slips available and are not unreasonable in price
In Tacoma the marinas with liveaboards have a wait list most are at least 1 year.
Old 18-12-2018, 18:05   #19

I am now standing Foss Harbor Marina - Tacoma. But it does not have permission to stay on boats of size 29-34 ft. Although my boat is completely suitable for living, large water tanks, waste and all amenities, Thank you, I will see Bremerton Marina.
Old 18-12-2018, 18:31   #20

very interesting bremerton marina , tomorrow I will call, I will clarify. Is it possible on their Marina accommodation on my boat size of 29 Fit.
Old 18-12-2018, 18:50   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I lived aboard there on my islander bahama 24 .
Old 18-12-2018, 19:11   #22

Thank you friend for the answer. I am a Truck Driver, so I don’t care which Marina to live on. The main thing is to have a residence permit, food stores and suitable infrastructure.
I do not like big cities, you told me a very good option, so I fill out an application and wait for a response. I want to ask you one more question, I saw a lot of the navy there, it does not interfere with small vessels?
Old 18-12-2018, 20:10   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanislav View Post
Thank you friend for the answer. I am a Truck Driver, so I don’t care which Marina to live on. The main thing is to have a residence permit, food stores and suitable infrastructure.
I do not like big cities, you told me a very good option, so I fill out an application and wait for a response. I want to ask you one more question, I saw a lot of the navy there, it does not interfere with small vessels?
Actually no it doesnt interfere at all .
Odd question who do you drive for?
I own newby hauling hence my name newhaul
Now do you need to have parking for a tractor?
Old 19-12-2018, 17:55   #24

ha ha I have a small truck so it can fit anywhere
Old 21-12-2018, 05:25   #25

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Skyline in Anacortes near the San Juan Islands comes to mind. There is the Yacht Club in Olympia where slips are owned and occasionally are for sale.
Probably places near most cities that have private slips. But finding one that is vacant until one comes up for sale can be a wait.

Sometimes slips are advertised for sale in 48 degrees North - a local, free sailing magazine.
We were told the waiting list was 20 years for just a rental slip (for a 45' sailboat) at Des Moines Yacht Club on East Passage.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 18:15   #26

Thank you. I have already found a place.
Old 31-12-2018, 10:20   #27

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

OP, looks like you have a solution but I will chip in to add a bit more info about Ancortes Marinas and a tip on living aboard in WA state (and many times elsewhere).
Anacortes has several marinas that have both condo and for lease slips - Anacortes Marina (where I lease a 50' slip). Skyline has several separate ccondo marinas although they are all in the same small bay. There is also Fidalgo Marina which might not allow liveaboards. And Cap Sante, a public marina run by the Port. All the marinas require an additional fee for liveaboard over and above your condo fee (if you own) or your lease rent to the condo owner.

There is a ton of "dry" storage available but that is not suitable for liveaboards although I know of a couple who do it. It is not very easy or enjoyable to do that though since you have waste issues and no water to insulate the boat hull from freezing weather. Most dry storage will not allow any one to liveaboard for year round or even a short time. And you would have to get a lift to the water in and out to use the boat.

If you are a liveaboard you should consider the amenities available at each marina - water, power, laundry, showers, parking, etc. Not all are very nice. You should inspect before committing. One Skyline Marina used to have totally disgusting wash rooms although they may have cleaned up their act since I have been there.
Getting a slip does not mean you will be allowed to liveaboard though. WA state has pretty strict rules on the issue and marinas try to not get on the wrong side of the state. There are (so far as I have seen) strict limits on the number of slips/boats that can be year round liveaboard. Some don't care in the high season but in late fall/winter/early spring they will notice if you are living aboard even if you think you can get away with it. Many have waiting lists for the few liveaboard slips available (number not actual specific slips - often 10% of the total slips in the marina). If you don't have that sorted out before you liveaboard you might find yourself with a slip lease and no place to live. Some marinas don't allow liveaboards at all. There are occasional "sneakaboards" but you will always be wondering if you will be caught.
There are some slip brokers who can find rental or for sale slips. One is in the Skyline marina.
If you have not been in a marina here you should also consider the weather at the marina. We have very, very strong winds along the west side of the mountains and lots of potential swell and waves if the marina is not well protected with breakwaters. We regularly get steady winds in the 45kt range with higher gusts. We have boats anchored out in the bay at Anacortes town and one just blew on to the rocks last week. Last year several went on the rocks. It is nice to have a slip that faces the prevailing winds rather than get broadsided to them. And waves from any close big boats at speed can push swell through breakwaters giving a rough experience down below at times.

Hope you have found a good slip and enjoy it here. Very nice in the summer and cool/cold/wet in the winter. It can and does snow sometimes and will freeze sometimes so you have to be careful with black ice on the boat or snow. I have had some very scary times when I didn't pay attention. Also, if it is going to be below freezing the marinas will turn off the water so you have to make sure you can handle that with full tanks. Losing electricity is not uncommon too so you will need a way to keep the boat warm without it at times.

And make sure you check the rules for each marina as some of them may surprise you.

This may be too much information but I have been burned and have seen many more burned by not knowing how it really works. Of course, if you find a private slip at a home or something you won't have all the rules. But you will absolutely not be able to pump out your waste tanks. If you get caught you will not be a happy boat owner. The Coast Guard and WA Ecology will lower the boom on you - big time. So you will have to be able to get to a public on a regular basis or hire a traveling pump out service.

You may already know all this. I mean no disrespect as I do not know what you know or don't know.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 18:06   #28

Thanks for the information. I have already Bermetron Marina, is just super, everything suits me here, very convenient, the ferry goes to Seattle, And most importantly, the navy protects me from alien invasion - super!
Old 31-12-2018, 18:44   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanislav View Post
Thanks for the information. I have already Bermetron Marina, is just super, everything suits me here, very convenient, the ferry goes to Seattle, And most importantly, the navy protects me from alien invasion - super!
cool good deal and thanks for letting us know .
I'm just across the water in port orchard
Old 31-12-2018, 18:57   #30

fair wind and 6 feet under the keel - neighbor

Tags
boat, washing, Washington