Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2018, 11:18   #31

Re: Buying an American boat as Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Hi! I assume that after sailing, for let say 3 or 4 years in the Tropics, the objective value of your sailboat is less than the purchase price. Make sure, it LOOKS shabby but that you can bring it back to its pristine state once across the Canadian borders Cheers
Nope, Taxes and Duty are due as of the date of purchase, however they are collected on first entry into Canadian Waters.

You will be asked to supply the original sales documentation. This could include both the bill of sale, and proof of payment in the way of cancelled cheques, copies of wire transfers any other proof that the CBSA deems appropriate. This is the value that will have the taxes and duties ( duty rate will be determined by the build country of the vessel being imported ) .... some are low, some on high. I think I remember you saying it was a C&C, then no duty (made in Canada) and as long as the Free trade agreement still exists between Canada and the USA if the vessel was built in the US, again no duties, just taxes.

Generally speaking its a straight forward process, results may vary

My 2c
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying