Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25   #46

Re: Buying First Boat...need opinions!

Forget about resale value. Nobody can predict what a boat will sell for in the future. Get one that you like and take care of it. If you do that, the chances are that somebody else in the future will like it for the same reasons. The boat will sell for whatever the market will bear at the time.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 16:31   #47

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Forget about resale value. Nobody can predict what a boat will sell for in the future. Get one that you like and take care of it. If you do that, the chances are that somebody else in the future will like it for the same reasons. The boat will sell for whatever the market will bear at the time.
Wise counsel.

The only thing I would ad though is that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. If you're going to pour a lot of money into a refit make sure the boat you choose warrants it, whether it's because it's a boat that you love and want to keep a long time or because it's a boat that will be a little more attractive in the resale market. (Not that you will EVER recover what you put into it, because you won't.)
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03   #48

Boat: Tartan 34C

Here a great boat that may fit your criteria that just came on for a good deal: 1965 MERIDIAN 25 (SEAFARER)
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17   #49

You may want to consider a Bombay Clipper 31; would give you more room for living and still meet your cost range.

Best regards,

Mike
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:49   #50

Thanks for the tip about the Meridien! I've contacted owner! We'll see... wish me luck!
shortytravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 18:21   #51

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortytravels View Post
Hi there,

In my original post I actually listed the Contessa but I have only seen 2 advertised since my search began and both are in Nova Scotia so I'd have to import them which is a bit of a pain...
Look for International Folkboat. They sometimes come up under Marieholm but more likely under International Folkboat or just plain Folkboat. The Contessa is a shorter sail version made in Canada.
Old 04-04-2015, 20:05   #52

Nobody has mentioned the Ericson 27
I owned one (a 1973) years ago and had no problems
Good, Solid, Roomy for it's size
Life and work got in the way and I sold it to a fellow in my marina
who then lived on it for three years, two with his girlfriend.
They can be had in your price range for sure
Interesting thing here is that I bought mine in 1996 for 6,500
(after survey found no issues with the boat and it's well maintaned Atomic 4)
Sold it in 2000 for 6,500 and now see them advertised for more
Wish I kept it for sure
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:56   #53

So guys...here are the updates. This wkend I looked at a Bristol 24 and the Rhodes Meridian posted on this thread. Both were in good condition.

The Rhodes didn't have any galley, electricals nor a head. Which didn't bother me b/c you can make it what you want to and the yanmar looked brand new after a complete restoration. The hull, deck and cabin had been restored as well. I would have immediately purchased this boat because it was GORGEOUS and the engine was so well done but the cabin just did not feel "right" to me. I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Something just didn't "fit" for me.

The Bristol, however, felt like home as soon as I stepped on her. Although she didn't have my required enclosed head, I came up with a solution to this. She was in great condition as well but needed some fittings rebedded and maybe a portlight too. Had she been cheaper, I might have made an offer but I felt the price was too high. I might come back to her and discuss this with the owner. Need to sleep on it a bit.

Still have a couple of boats on my list to go look at though, like that Dolphin. Really wish that Rhodes had felt "right." It was a good deal...
Old 06-04-2015, 08:23   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortytravels View Post
So guys...here are the updates. This wkend I looked at a Bristol 24 and the Rhodes Meridian posted on this thread. Both were in good condition.

The Rhodes didn't have any galley, electricals nor a head. Which didn't bother me b/c you can make it what you want to and the yanmar looked brand new after a complete restoration. The hull, deck and cabin had been restored as well. I would have immediately purchased this boat because it was GORGEOUS and the engine was so well done but the cabin just did not feel "right" to me. I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Something just didn't "fit" for me.

The Bristol, however, felt like home as soon as I stepped on her. Although she didn't have my required enclosed head, I came up with a solution to this. She was in great condition as well but needed some fittings rebedded and maybe a portlight too. Had she been cheaper, I might have made an offer but I felt the price was too high. I might come back to her and discuss this with the owner. Need to sleep on it a bit.

Still have a couple of boats on my list to go look at though, like that Dolphin. Really wish that Rhodes had felt "right." It was a good deal...
You are at quite an advantage in that you have time and money!!! So you have the upper hand on any boat you look at. Most sellers just want to unload for one reason or another and in some cases, will unload for a good deal to the right buyer.

We New Englanders are unlucky in limited seasonal use of our boats but are VERY lucky in getting great deals on good old boats as they are abundant in our area!

Good luck and keep looking! The boat will find you!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:49   #55

A few bigger boats that you can classify as beginner boats at good deals. As mentioned, there are plenty of great boats in our area at great deals...you just have to wait for the right one to pick you!

Newer version of the Tartan 27 (they upgraded the cabin to have a raised doghouse for better head/v-birth head room/access):
Tartan 27-2 Sailboat - great opportunity for handy person

Tartan 30 (big fan of these for it's decent draft, solid construction, and awesome engine access):
30 foot tartan sailboat 1974

Bristol 29 (Mooring neighbor has one of these in mint condition that he singlehands often...and he does this without an engine on his as his engine seized 4 years ago and has not gone back to fix it! He adores his boat).
1967 Bristol 29 sailboat
Old 06-04-2015, 09:17   #56

I read that Phillip Rhodes designed boats that were great for sailing, not so great for living aboard. For instance, he rarely (maybe never) designed a boat that had a berth that could sleep two people. His thinking was that sailing was a (straight) man's sport, and women were to be left ashore. And straight men sailors didn't care much for comforts and niceties while asea.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:47   #57

Well, if that really was his thinking, I'm glad I'm not supporting it!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:28   #58

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Having been in the boat business, eons ago, we had a rule of thumb we always followed when negotiating to buy any boat. That was, whatever the buyer was asking, offer half! If they are serious they will either take it or counter. If they stick to their asking, walk away. You should be able to get any boat for 75% or less of the asking.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:31   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Having been in the boat business, eons ago, we had a rule of thumb we always followed when negotiating to buy any boat. That was, whatever the buyer was asking, offer half! If they are serious they will either take it or counter. If they stick to their asking, walk away. You should be able to get any boat for 75% or less of the asking.
Right on!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:59   #60

That was the strategy I was going to use but before I even start negotiating for something, I want to look at a couple of more boats. Hoping to buy by May and get the smallest boat I can stand living on!

Tags
buying