Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 08:39   #16
cruiser

Re: Charming old girl

A double turn clove hitch.
Usage includes deck covers.

Knot system will slide away from handle. Eg. The bundle of rope is the cover and the handle is where such is attached.
Will slide to tighten, will knot against loosening.

Have fun
Nathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_020306.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	188805  
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 17:44   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

Forgive me for being so cynical Juggles, it’s just that I see a fair few project boats changing owners but never getting finished. I know of one large steel project yacht that is for sale again, that yacht has been through at least 3 owners since I surveyed it 8 years ago!
Have you looked at the Swanson 36 in Sydney for 25g on Gumtree? They are fantastic yachts and this one is a project but nothing that is not achievable in a reasonable time frame. You could make a cheeky offer reflecting the price of moving her. The mast is down so that’s a bonus when it comes to trucking her home. Since you liked that other yacht interior you could easily fit this one out with a bit of shag pile carpet and mission brown paint!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 16:11   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggles View Post
Went to have a look at this old one the other day. As we stepped on board the broker put a hole in the cockpit. At that point our offer halved. The deck needs to be blasted and epoxied. My main concern is the damage outweighs the saving and it may take a lot longer than anticipated. Were offering 10k. Is it worth the effort to survery and fix up knowing that were actively looking for a project boat? We like her but she needed a bit of work and now with the new cockpit information she may need much much more.

https://www.38southboatsales.com.au/...phillips-yacht

OK, why the heck would you look at that when the same broker is offering THIS for less?

https://www.38southboatsales.com.au/...1984-skania-32

Seriously? I am sympathetic, it is VERY hard to find decent boats in Adelaide, I had to go East to get mine, but things are not THAT desperate.
Old 01-04-2019, 17:50   #19
cruiser

Cole 32s are lovely.
I crewed on one, she jibbed, knocked a blind man overboard, skipper was ordered to come about soon and wasn't in a hurry(lots visibility).. Then he was told. He's blind and he can't swim. Lol.
Too see a sail ain't just a sense.
True story. Lovely boat.. Can't remember if she's a speedy one though.
Old 01-04-2019, 19:29   #20
cruiser

If in Adelaide there was a 40' steel project vessel advertised. It'd be on internet somewhere.
$40000 with ketch rigging.

She looks sea kindly if into that sort of sailing.
Full length keel, large volume to take lots of provisions.
Her moment of inertia sights to be very kind, pitch, heel and she has a missen to assist her leading edge.
She'd beat like a ballerina if farther wind and mothers momentum was to bow with her.

Best luck.
Old 01-04-2019, 19:41   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A general comment:

When looking for low budget yachts, stay away from steel. Low prices generally reflect lack of maintenance and general neglect, and in steel construction this is usually a death sentence. Glass boats can recover from such a fate with what is primarily cosmetic and system upgrades/repairs. Steel will have hidden and potentially fatal flaws that require skilled and thoughtful renewal of critical things like hull integrity, steering and keel attachment before getting into the systems and cosmetics.

The oft quoted durability and robustness of steel construction is only true when new, or when well maintained. Compromised steel is inferior to old glass in most cases... and the selection of glass boats is usually far greater.

Just my thoughts on low budget boat buying!

Jim
Old 01-04-2019, 22:02   #22

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

The oft quoted durability and robustness of steel construction is only true when new, or when well maintained. Compromised steel is inferior to old glass in most cases... and the selection of glass boats is usually far greater.

Just my thoughts on low budget boat buying!
Yep, and I reckon the broker falling through the deck might just be considered a sign of inadequate maintenance.

Would love to know why the OP was looking at that dreadful old wreck when there was a pretty decent looking 32 footer for considerably less $$$ just a few hundred meters away.

I suspect the broker may have figured he's got a chance of getting rid of some rubbish on a project-boat buyer. Time to make the broker do his job.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:03   #23
cruiser

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...-sailor/216114

You might be in same boat as I; out of budget.
Yet she's there. Looks to be on hard. Easy inspection. Rudder protected by keel and has lower brace. Emergency tiller probable in case of steerage cable breakage. Missen there too as third back up in case missen the lead edge to point point.
Jokes aside.. Steel has advantage in lightning, floating container collision..

If repairing glass, use epoxy. Epoxy is solid. Most glass boats are polyester which is hollow and will absorb water. By cutting out the rot and patching with epoxy the epoxy will tunnel into the polyester and water tighten her sheave provided the polyester is cut far enough to be dry.

Best luck..