Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 03:53   #1

Chartering owner version catamarans

Hi all,
I have tried to search the forum of existing threads, but couldn't find them, or there simply is too much and I haven't gotten to the bottom.
Please feel free to refer me to existing threads on the matter.

I am ready to take a sabbatical.
I could go smaller (150k, or 200k ready to sail) with a monohull or I could try to go bigger (300-400k) and approach the fabulous world of catamarans. In which case, I'd like the boat to pay back some of her bills.

All the charter operators I am speaking with, tell me that:
- The owner version cats make some 30% (or less) revenue per year compared to an equivalent model 4 cabin version.
- They cannot quite specify if the boat sells for a higher price but fewer weeks, or for a lower price tag and fewer weeks.
- They have barely worked with any owner version of the years, so the previous 2 points are very vaguely supported by data.

Does anybody here have experience with chartering an owner version catamaran, either as a customer or as an owner?
The models I have in mind are (in order of preference): Helia 44, Lagoon 42, Lagoon 450 S.

So far, based on the few data I have (and thanks to StarryHorizons), the Lagoon 42 is the only model which - with a 4 cabin version - would pay back its operational costs + the financing.
The Helia 44 owner version would more than pay back the operational costs, but by far do not cover the financing. Leaving every year of ownership a quite substantial bill, other than the costs of the initial purchase and the sabbatical, of course.

Thanks!
EnricoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:24   #2

Re: Chartering owner version catamarans

We chartered an owners version Open 40 in 2019 from Horizons BVI. We were only two couples. I believe it was the cheapest one with AC/gen and plenty large enough for us, which is why we selected it.

As far as covering all your costs, I didn’t know that was even remotely possible. Basically, I thought you are just paying less for the weeks you use the boat verses chartering a boat.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:01   #3

Re: Chartering owner version catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
As far as covering all your costs, I didn’t know that was even remotely possible. Basically, I thought you are just paying less for the weeks you use the boat verses chartering a boat.
It depends what charter program you would go for.

I am considering trying to sell some weeks directly and having some support from a local charter company.
So it would definitely be considered a "performance" charter program.
EnricoB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamarans, charter, renting