Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 20:54   #1

Coastguard Six Pack Drug testing

I am in the works to buy a big fancy boat, and I am considering the possibility of doing captained charters with her in the Caribbean.

I spoke with my insurance broker, and he said it won't be hard to get an endorsement for this, and it won't cost much, but I will probably need a six pack license.

This is no problem for me to obtain. The problem is that if I will be in the Caribbean for the next several years, how do I periodically get my drug testing performed? Also, in case of a boating accident, I think the CG requires alcohol testing within 2 hours. That seems like another impossibility. Do these problems come up with captained charters out of the country?
DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:16   #2

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping
Re: Coastguard Six Pack Drug testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBoater View Post

This is no problem for me to obtain. The problem is that if I will be in the Caribbean for the next several years, how do I periodically get my drug testing performed? Also, in case of a boating accident, I think the CG requires alcohol testing within 2 hours. That seems like another impossibility. Do these problems come up with captained charters out of the country?
Well, the Caribbean is a big place so it really depends on where you're going to operate. In the VI (BOTH US AND British) it's easy to get the drug testing completed--especially on St Thomas.

As for alcohol testing, a lot of that is dependent on the locale in which you're sailing. In the USVI, the CG will be happy to administer an alcohol test when they're called.

When I wrecked my power boat in STT a few years ago, the CG and local police performed drug and alcohol testing on me at the hospital--and I am not a 6 pack holder.
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:01   #3

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

you only need to get tested during renewals and potentially upgrades to your license if it's been more than 6 months since the last drug test. if you aren't upgrading then you will only need to drug test for a renewal which is once every 5 years.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 13:59   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

More importantly...where do you plan to charter? Depending on venue your USA liscence may, or may not, be totally irrelevant.

More relevant/challenging is how to get set up to legally run a business in your chosen venue. You may find that getting your liscene is the easy part. Not many places that smile upon a foreigner just waltzing in and running an illegal business.

Commercial use insurance is signficantly more expensive than recreational use insurance.

Drug testing etc for intial license/renewal/upgrade must all be done in the USA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 17:31   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
you only need to get tested during renewals and potentially upgrades to your license if it's been more than 6 months since the last drug test. if you aren't upgrading then you will only need to drug test for a renewal which is once every 5 years.
Wrong.
If you are doing Charters you need to be on a random drug testing program.
That means you could get tested anytime your name comes up.
$55 for the initial test and $65 annually to stay in the program.
Old 02-03-2017, 17:35   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Commercial use insurance is signficantly more expensive than recreational use insurance.
I am doing commercial charter work and my insurance went up about 10% for 24 charters a year. Not a big deal.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-03-2017, 17:55   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
More importantly...where do you plan to charter? Depending on venue your USA liscence may, or may not, be totally irrelevant.

More relevant/challenging is how to get set up to legally run a business in your chosen venue. You may find that getting your liscene is the easy part. Not many places that smile upon a foreigner just waltzing in and running an illegal business.

Commercial use insurance is signficantly more expensive than recreational use insurance.

Drug testing etc for intial license/renewal/upgrade must all be done in the USA.
In the Carrib, USVI is the ONLY place your USA 6-pack is worth a damn
Old 02-03-2017, 18:15   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I am doing commercial charter work and my insurance went up about 10% for 24 charters a year. Not a big deal.
Your mileage may vary.
Depends on circumstances of course. Full time commercial use can be much higher.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote