Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 17:07   #1

Contemplating making the leap (long post)

Ok so I'm having a pretty off few months here. :-(

I was supposed to get a bonus that was between $22K - $55K. My boss & coworkers couldnt close the leads I brought in so I missed my target, meaning I get a bonus of a big fat zero. On top of that I'm "offered" a 40% pay cut which is $5 a month less than unemployment benefits.

At home my girlfriend is on the never ending trip about how things "arent working" and I can't get any leeway. Being at home sort of sucks and we dont have much fun together anymore, its mostly me fuming silently and desperately trying not to have yet another "conversation" about how I dont like it when the house looks like something out of an episode of the show "Hoarders". She is constantly talking about moving out and I'm not stopping her but she doesnt actually leave.

So... given that I would make 5 bucks a month more on unemployment than I would working (well, I could get commissions but I dont know if the energy is in me to work like a bugger after a 40% pay cut just to make back what I once had) the thought donned on me that I could just cut the cord and go live on the boat.

Its a Columbia 26Mk2 so it's 26.7ft. Its pretty roomy and I have no problem hanging out on there for an extended period of time. I go up every two weeks during the off season to check on it and stay the weekend in all types of weather ranging from freezing and snow to the more lovely hot sunny days. I've got a decent slip at the YC with power, water, etc. and its a walk away from the grocery store and other things I might need.

Last season all my sails were maintained by the sailmaker and havent been used this past summer. I had the forestay snap and was out of commission until it was fixed. Then the motor died so I need a new 9.9 outboard. Other than that the boat is in good shape.

I should qualify for 36 weeks of unemployment and given the pay cut I can quit and claim for it (lets not get into the brass tacks of employment law here) due to constructive dismissal. That would put me into halfway through next summer. I'll want to go back to work after that, but I might be able to make some extra cash on the side while living aboard. I used to run my own business for 9 years and I have a variety of skills so I'm sure I could do something to pass the time other than drink rum and read.

I could probably afford a new motor quicker by deep sixing land lubber life and quitting than I could still working, commuting, and holding down this house. Then I could go places, hang off a buoy or on the hook, or just chill at the docks with power.

I'm not 100% going to do this, but given the train wreck that is my life right now when I was up at the boat this last weekend I suddenly reminded myself that, yes, my boat is my escape from the real world, and yes, I could actually just drop everything and live aboard for over half a year and recharge.

Any comments? Stupid idea? Brilliant idea? All the options seem to be on the table right now.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:18   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Contemplating making the leap (long post)

Living on board and following what you love.....great!
Doing the unemployment thing even though you are able bodied and currently employed.....kinda crappy.Dont take this offensively but unemployment is a safety net, not a vacation fund, and those of us that continue to work in jobs that we don't love would be supporting your unemployment even though you can work.....again kind of crappy.

Follow your dream but don't do it on other peoples backs, there are enough moochers in this world. Dont be one of them
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:23   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker

1st-throw her out, nicely. Not doing each other any good.
Yes, you should get some sort of job-too easy to fall into the "where's my check" thing.
Better take stock of your stuff-it's surprising how much stuff you won't want to get rid of, and storage facility charges will really really piss you off after a year.
Think thru the next couple of years. That boat will get pretty small after a while on it.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:31   #4

Boat: Catalina 36

I say do it, just look for a better job while fixing up the boat.
Old 04-11-2013, 18:08   #5

Dump her, dump the house. Move onto the boat, get a job where you like what you do and love the people you work with. Enjoy your life! As my mother would say; "what more?"
jahillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 20:44   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

let me just tell you that right now I'm hanging in Esenada for a few days waiting out a front. There's a guy in a harbor here with a Columbia around the size you're talking about. He's happy as a clam and free. My last job layed me off after not agreeing to a hourly rate change. I collected for awhile then took off. I have never found a land based woman that was any good with my boat lifestyle.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 23:40   #7

seems like a nice option

for a few months during the cold winter it wont be so ducky and I have to buy a new motor (or at least a decent used one)

But sitting around eating crab with bait on the downriggers even just out the channel for a few months sounds prety posh
Old 13-01-2014, 18:05   #8

So, any news mr-canada. I would guess you went for it and dont have internet ? Good for you. Cheers
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 18:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
So, any news mr-canada. I would guess you went for it and dont have internet ? Good for you. Cheers
No, pay cut at work was cancelled stuck around there just got back from the boat have internet there just need a new motor
Old 13-01-2014, 18:59   #10

So the live aboard idea is out ! I,m in Burlington On., Thinking about the same thing
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 01:07   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sir,

If you are a man who loves women, this may become an ongoing issue; consider what you might like the outcome to be....

Good luck,

Ann