Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 10:53   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Contract paragraph regarding deposit

My main concern would be that it is legalese, not plain English. And that it makes no mention, as others noted, of the buyer having certain rights to walk away without losing anything, i.e. satisfaction of survey and sea-trial, obtaining financing, whatever. Those rights (and assuming buyer will have to pay for the haul and survey and certain other expenses regardless) should at least be mentioned, or cross-referenced, i.e. "The buyer has got to eat all costs except...as specified in paragraph 485 above."

There may be local (city, county, state) laws that also are involved in any "motor vehicle" sale, so an hour with an attorney could turn up other things. But if the seller can rewrite that stuff in English, and make sure it includes the usual reasons to back out without damages...might not be unreasonable to skip the lawyer, if the purchase amount isn't substantial. If you're buying a five-figure boat, or higher...the attorney could be cheap insurance in any case.

See if s/he will take a sunset cruise instead of a fee for the review.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contract