Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 12:48   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Cowboy stile boat mooring

I am 80% way through to buy a cruising sailboat in the med. Thanks to my digital marketing skills, my living expenses would be covered by remote work.

Now the tricky part, I am a health promotion professional which means, I create seminars and work shops for companies with employee health programs. Usually, these gigs need a lot of preparation in terms of presentations, preparing fitness diagnostic tech and organize travels. The travel expenses are covered by my consultant contract.

But what the h...do I do with the boat when I have to travel back to the client for a week? Put it in the Marina in high season (50$+ a day) would just eat up my salary that I later earn through the gig. Binding it to a buoy like a horse, Cowboy stile and leave, doesn't really feel like a savvy solution.
pantarhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 16:47   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cowboy stile boat mooring

How about a mooring in a river, near its delta, where the water has had a chance to spread out in case of a flood?

Sure, it would not be one's first choice, which would be a safe pen or berth in a marina, or a canal development, but if you can't afford the marina, then a mooring's about the only other answer, unless you could afford to leave it on the hard, usually not worth it for just a week or so.

Ann
Old 11-05-2018, 16:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cowboy stile boat mooring

Guess it depends on where in Portugal you are based.. if the Algarve, Lisbon or Porto.. you pay for the privilege.
However if you go to Fig da Foz for example there is no 'High Season'.
You could do what some do.. if you have good ground tackle.. anchor off Grande Praia across from Portimao.. good holding and out near the SE corner of the breakwater its well sheltered.. use the water taxi to get off and back on when you return.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Guess it depends on where in Portugal you are based.. if the Algarve, Lisbon or Porto.. you pay for the privilege.
However if you go to Fig da Foz for example there is no 'High Season'.
You could do what some do.. if you have good ground tackle.. anchor off Grande Praia across from Portimao.. good holding and out near the SE corner of the breakwater its well sheltered.. use the water taxi to get off and back on when you return.
the boat would be in Croatia, going to Montenegro, Italy and Greece. So I have to make a plan for Italy, Brindisi area and Greek Ionian Islands
Old 12-05-2018, 03:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cowboy stile boat mooring

In that case your outside my area of knowledge.. NE of Athens is easy... but I do hope you find a solution.. the islands may be the toughest to resolve.
Best wishes..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantarhei View Post
the boat would be in Croatia, going to Montenegro, Italy and Greece. So I have to make a plan for Italy, Brindisi area and Greek Ionian Islands
most boats cruising that area either haul out for the winter or pay for 6 months over the winter in a marina, consequently the rates are generally quite reasonable if you pay in advance.

if you pay yearly for 12 months in advance,you should be able to get a similar to the winter rate,as a year round rate.

this would solve your problems,and guarentee you a berth year round at a reasonable rate,rather than being at the mercy of the weather,theft and extortionate high season marina rates.

the area you mention is all within 2-4 days sail if based on either coast,and probably will work out cheaper than 2months at high season rates(away working) and 6 months winter rates in marinas(avoiding storms)
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14   #7

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Here's a few suggestions.. If you know what weeks you will be gone in advance, you can try to find someone to 'rent' your boat (like VRBO or AirBnB) in a slip as a 'hotel' room for a week or 2. I'm not sure the legality of this, but I it happens in Spain/Portugal. Then you boat is safe in a marina and the rent pays for the marina fees.

If you can't find someone to rent the boat in a slip, I would buy an oversized anchor and find a protected spot to drop the hook and leave the boat anchored. If this worries you, pay a local a small fee to check on the boat regularly.

good luck
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Here's a few suggestions.. If you know what weeks you will be gone in advance, you can try to find someone to 'rent' your boat (like VRBO or AirBnB) in a slip as a 'hotel' room for a week or 2. I'm not sure the legality of this, but I it happens in Spain/Portugal. Then you boat is safe in a marina and the rent pays for the marina fees.

If you can't find someone to rent the boat in a slip, I would buy an oversized anchor and find a protected spot to drop the hook and leave the boat anchored. If this worries you, pay a local a small fee to check on the boat regularly.

good luck
I have been living in Portugal for more than 7 years now and regularly attend the meetings of the local maritime authorities. The tourism in Portugal is out of control, for the good and the not so good effects. When thinking about AIRBNB, be aware that the Marinas will intervene here and 1. charge you a business licence fee when you rent out 2. the will register all 'guests' in and out at reception of Marina for security reasons. If a host succeeds allowance, they charge again.

I just learned, the boat I consider has the dry-dock paid until April 2019 in Croatia. hence, if I go down to Greece, an option might be to beat up before the winter again. Whereas I have to say, I am not so happy with the cruising fees in Croatia. sojourn-tax-for-boat-owners-to-increase-in-2018
Old 13-05-2018, 02:39   #9

Boat: Catalina 350

I'm a great believer in not re-inventing the wheel. I doubt you are a Robinson Crusoe in regard to this issue and this location. Hunt around and find someone who has already solved this issue. It may be hard but it may be the best investment of your time.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 22:19   #10

Boat: 48' Pilothouse

Consider a boat sitter.

I house & pet sit internationally & no money exchanges hands. In exchange for taking good care of someone else's home and pets (bonus!), I live in their home for free.

There's definitely a level of trust required on both sides, but good vetting beforehand should alleviate concerns.

One thing I would require is that the sitter be an experienced boater who is comfortable with boat systems, plumbing requirements, water & power usage.

I would not allow them to actively cruise. But for me, to just hang on the hook, poke around with the dink and use your water toys would be enough.

A quick search of "boat sitter" brought back interesting results.
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mooring