Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2022, 16:09   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Critique My Plan

was going to pen a response....but then thought better of it......
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 05:29   #77

Boat: Lagoon 42

OP Here - Wanted to provide an update on where things currently are and answer some inquiries on here.

Comments regarding 40ft vs 42ft were very spot on once we were able to walk through quite a bit of models around that size range. We decided that a 42 is what we desired; where it offered more storage and living accommodations but still kept things reasonable (cost wise) for what amounts to be an experiment of sorts.

We bought a Lagoon 42 last month that was already located within the Caribbean. We brought in a very experienced instructor to spend the first 10 days with us and get my wife ramped up; and also shadow me on some additional components to make sure we are confident.

We just started on this journey so I won't do a disservice of stating what we did right or wrong yet - because in reality we still have much experiences to go through before I can give a proper post-assessment to it all. I'll look to provide some form of final update in a few months at the end of the season with some lessons learned or thoughts of reasoning for others that may find this post useful when they are evaluating such a life change goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdarbonne1 View Post
if i may ask, what job/career are you in?
Within the Data sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Also, wait to do a refit until you've been onboard a few months. We did and many of the upgrades just kind of slipped off our radar as we found they weren't needed. At the same time, others popped up that we wanted.
Sound advice on waiting. Going to try to limit how much we do until the first season is over. During the start of the next season we should have a few months under out belt to better understand what we need - and getting those done prior to re-splashing for the season. Helps that the boat we purchased comes with a few amenities already.
Beneath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 07:25   #78

Haven't read through all six pages, so maybe I missed it, but how old are your kids?

Someone made a good point about kids needing the socialization of in person school and the idea that they can be home schooled at sea, then dropped into a HS might be a bad one.

You've already taken the plunge, so congrats on your new boat.

My advice would be to go ahead with this lifestyle while your kids are young, but do make extended stays in areas where your kids can develop friendships with others.

But I would look at settling somewhere longterm by the time your kids are in 3-4th grade. Doesn't mean you can't still liveaboard. Maybe do it in PR, VIs, maybe somewhere in southern US.

This would allow your kids to have a normal school experience and you still get to do a good bit of sailing.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 17:24   #79

Congrats!!! Keep us posted so we can sail vicariously with you. Cheets����
BouyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 21:38   #80

I am 62, I have less saved, and make way less - but ordered a new cat for double what you are hoping to spend. I had my house paid off and borrowed money against it to order the boat. I hope to sell the house so I am debt free. You are WAY more catious than me. As my home is a lot of my retirement - I hope to sell the boat in a couple of years and loose 200K. (I suppose I secretly hope to hold the boat a little longer - but I do not say that outloud)
kirkb is offline   Reply With Quote