Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 11:38   #1

Boat: PT-11
Cuba Insurance

This is a longshot, but here goes: Is anyone aware of supplemental insurance for a US boat in Cuba? Most US policies exclude coverage in Cuba.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 12:07   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Cuba Insurance

I don't know of any US insurance company that will insure for Cuba, but most non-US companies will insure US boats in Cuba.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 12:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This is a longshot, but here goes: Is anyone aware of supplemental insurance for a US boat in Cuba? Most US policies exclude coverage in Cuba.
That's because US boats are not supposed to go to Cuba and with a few exceptions, US companies are not allowed to do business with Cuba or in Cuba, even indirectly, through third parties, etc.

Sure plenty of people and boats go to Cuba but you are exposing yourself to potential fines and even confiscation. I rarely hear of anyone getting nabbed for it but I would sure hate to be the one that was.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 15:40   #4

I am looking for specific information. I've admittedly only started but the two non-US insurance companies I contacted would not do it.
Old 15-07-2014, 15:49   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I am looking for specific information. I've admittedly only started but the two non-US insurance companies I contacted would not do it.
bahamas based insurance companies will as well as haiti and the DR. fair winds
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 15:52   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Try Royal Sun Alliance underwriters. They are sold by many brokers - Topsail is one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 09:24   #7

OK, I need to be more specific. It has to be a policy written specifically for Americans. Most policies have a standard exception for illegal activities, which the use of a USA-flagged boat by an American in Cuba might be. So this has to be written around that for use of a boat in Cuba. Based on these generic responses, it seems to be rare if possible at all.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32   #8

Boat: Bristol 35

Is there a company that offers insurance for US boats in Cuba that will actually cover if something happens- not wiggle out by saying you were doing something illegal by being in Cuba?
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Is there a company that offers insurance for US boats in Cuba that will actually cover if something happens- not wiggle out by saying you were doing something illegal by being in Cuba?
I think it highly unlikely that any US based insurance company would cover you since your trip to Cuba and their insuring the trip would both violate US restrictions against doing business in Cuba.

Since your visit would be in violation of US restrictions I think even a non-US company might have concerns and a possible escape clause if you filed a claim.

When you're doing something against the rules you might just have to accept the possible risks on your own.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50   #10

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Just ask the insurance company. Just cause you happen to be in Cuba doesn't mean they are doing business with Cuba.

Besides the embargo is all but lifted.

It's not illegal to go to Cuba, it's illegal to do business with Cuba. They've even started letting people fly back and forth between Cuba and the USA again, not a whole lot, but it's happening.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Just ask the insurance company. Just cause you happen to be in Cuba doesn't mean they are doing business with Cuba.
The government figured out that little loophole years ago. Try leaving Cuba and going back to Key West to clear in to the US and tell that to the customs guys.

The only legal loophole I've heard, you had to go to Cuba because of an emergency on board.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:23   #12

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

As a PhD who specializes in Caribbean cultures, I can go to Cuba legally. I wonder if I could use my boat as a legal means of getting and staying there, researching their beautiful beaches.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47   #13

Boat: Pearson 323

As a journalist you can travel to Cuba. Start a website on something about Cuba and write yourself an authorization letter to write the article. Also, travel to the Bahamas first then to Cuba and on return travel to Bahamas then the US. Being a Vietnam Vet I still can not believe that we have travel restrictions to Cuba when we trade and travel to Vietnam and other communist countries. I believe that some of our stupid government officials that are supposed to represent us just want to keep Cuba restricted so they have one more country to slam. If they lift the band then insurance wouldn't be a problem. I anyone like to comment?
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:05   #14

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The government figured out that little loophole years ago. Try leaving Cuba and going back to Key West to clear in to the US and tell that to the customs guys.

The only legal loophole I've heard, you had to go to Cuba because of an emergency on board.
Sure...they'll inspect your boat for contraband (I.e. Cuban cigars and Cuban liquor, etc)

It's not illegal to go to Cuba...it's illegal to do business with Cuba.

The USA and Cuba are even allowing people to fly back and forth to Cuba now...not to tourism levels, but on an as needed basis...there aren't any buses between yet, but it's happening.

You always were to be able to fly to Cuba, you just had to go to a third country in between first so that the US airlines and US airports weren't doing business with Cuba.

It's a trade embargo, and nothing more than that. Trade
Is controlled by getting a license to visit the country first. See https://licensing.ofac.treas.gov to begin the licensing.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 13:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's not illegal to go to Cuba...it's illegal to do business with Cuba.
Yes I know that. The point is even dumb bureaucrats realize you can't visit a country without spending money, even if you are on a boat and not staying a hotel. And spending money as a tourist in Cuba is not legal. it is considered doing business. Period, bottom line. Sure lots and lots of people do it and don't get fined or arrested but it's still violating the US restrictions.

Quote:
Sure...they'll inspect your boat for contraband (I.e. Cuban cigars and Cuban liquor, etc)
If you check in to Key West from Cuba they will do a lot more than that. Even non US citizens on non US boats who are completely legal to travel to Cuba get hassled and threatened with losing their US cruising permits. Spend a minute and search previous posts on this forum and read the reports from cruisers that this happened to.

Quote:
You always were to be able to fly to Cuba, you just had to go to a third country in between first so that the US airlines and US airports weren't doing business with Cuba.
There is a big difference in being able to do something and that something being legal. Flying to Cuba through a third country is still illegal. Sure you can do it, lots of people do it every day. But they are all violating the US restriction.

Quote:
The USA and Cuba are even allowing people to fly back and forth to Cuba now...not to tourism levels, but on an as needed basis...there aren't any buses between yet, but it's happening.
People have been flying back and forth to Cuba for 20-30 years but to do so legally you have to qualify for one of the exemptions allowed by the US government. This includes Cuban expats visiting family, journalists, humanitarian missions and recently cultural exchange programs. Pure tourism (except when it masquerades as a cultural trip) is not allowed.

Quote:
It's a trade embargo, and nothing more than that. Trade Is controlled by getting a license to visit the country first. See https://licensing.ofac.treas.gov to begin the licensing.
Of course it's a trade embargo and I personally think it's stupid and yes it will end. But for now it's not legal. Odds are probably 99.9% you can fly through Nassau or Mexico or Canada and play tourist in Cuba and never hear a word about it but, you could.

Tags
Cuba, insurance