Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you do the work on your boat or does someone else?
I do everything on my boat including engine maintenance and sail repair. I am one self sufficent person. 29 52.73%
I do most everything on my boat, except for the things that I screw up, then I call the cavalry. 23 41.82%
I pay people to do most of the major projects on my boat but I handle the little things like varnishing and changing oil. 3 5.45%
I do not like to get my hands dirty and tend to muck up projects up when I start them. I leave the tuff stuff to the pros 1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 11:20   #61

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: DIY or Boatyard?

Being a Machinist/Welder/Engineer, there is not too much I cannot build or imagineer (self made word). I rebuilt most of my diesel myself except for the Machining required by a diesel shop. It was out of necessity that I did all this.
I purchased this last boat in a yard and was stuck using them for the bottom job as they no longer allow people to sand or paint bottoms. I was quoted $1000 for a sanding rough areas and a single coat of bottom paint of my choice. What I got was...no sanding at all and a mixture of various colors of bottom paint they had lying around. The color was a purple/grey. I seriously doubt they used the brand I specified. Then they wanted $350 more! I had to remind them of their quote. I,m just glad to be back in the water and out of there. I plan to strip and barrier the bottom in less than 2 years anyways.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:28   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Goodness, isn't there a way to be a do-it-yourself boater without engaging in self-righteousnes? What about the highly competent professional who works hard five days a week and then wants to spend the weekend sailing rather than sanding? Is there a place for these people in the forum?

"
Perhaps self-rightous is a stronger word than needed. "Is there a place for these people in this forum"? Yes...in the forum. On a boat?...questionable.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 12:28   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
On my last boat I did my own gas and had it signed off by a gas fitter.
It's hardly rocket science , yellow teflon tape and check joints for leaks.
Fine if you know a gasfitter willing to sign off on someone else's work. I did the "roughing in" ie. installed the copper chemlag piping, (required in Qld) but the gasfitter was only willing to certify the boat if he did all the connecting work.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boatyards