Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 05:39   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Documentation

I'm a little lost on what "service" they provide?

As near as I can tell they charge $50 to do something I've been doing in 30 seconds for years all by myself.

Is there more to this?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 06:05   #17

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
The USCG is part of Homeland Security and they didn't like someone scamming using one of their divisions, and didn't like someone using a web address that looked official. They are afraid it could lead to other problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4bass View Post
I notified the USCG......and they seemed pretty apathetic.
Why different results when alerting USCG?
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 06:07   #18

[/QUOTE]The U.S. Vessel Documentation Service offers multiple year renewal[/URL] for convenience.[/QUOTE]

Lot's already written about this commercial service, but it bears noting that the above statement about multi-year renewals cannot be correct as there is currently no provision in Federal regulation for such. While the CG is developing a new regulation for multi-year renewals as directed by Congress, the regulation has not yet been issued. Thus all this commercial service can do is annually process a renewal for you at whatever charge they desire. That may very well be something one finds attractive so you don't have to do it annually, but know that you are just paying someone else to annually do the legwork on your renewal. It is not a multi-year document. This "service" could easily make that clear (maybe it does in the fine print). All I know is I went online with the CG and had my renewal completed in about 5 minutes for $26 and didn't even need to use a stamp.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 06:21   #19

Boat: Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner

Add me to the almost scammed! Thankfully I found out before cash out!
capemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 16:44   #20

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I didn't use the web site I phoned them. They made no mention of being a service on the phone. The letter does not have the word "service" anywhere in it. It shows that misrepresentation and concealment were there. They reference USCG 3 times in bold print. The difference here is I did not use their web site I called it in and all they were concerned with was trying to get me to go for the five year plan, and when I questioned the $75 fee they said that the price had increased. They didn't say it was $26 for USCG plus $49 for them.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 17:37   #21

Boat: Carver 356

DeborahLee, good for you for fighting them.
They got me a couple of weeks ago, so I'm doing everything I can to alert as many people as possible.
The best way to shut these people down is to alert everyone and eventually the cost of running this scam will exceed the income they get from it.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 18:35   #22

The title on the letter from U.S. Vessel Documentation / U.S. Marine Surveyors, Inc. says: "VESSEL RENEWAL COURTESY NOTICE". The first paragraph says courtesy notice two more times.

The letter also says: "our private" three times.

Neither of those would be found in official correspondence.

Now that the OP has violated the non-refundable payment authorization agreement with U.S. Vessel Documentation it would be useful to document the events until a valid certificate is in-hand.
Old 23-04-2017, 19:09   #23

@Wingless... you are correct that the website and the letters sent do contain disclaimers. However, it is hard to argue that the website name, the fact it uses a .us instead of a .com address, the fact "uscg" is the first thing in the address, the logos, the artwork, the prominent links to official sites, the disclaimer in tiny gray print at the very bottom all lend one to "think" this may have some official connection. The fact that BOAT US felt the need to publish a warning is yet another indicator that something is worth being careful about. Yes, anyone is free to develop such a service (there are other documentation facilitation services out there). However, none of the others have been quite so blatant in trying to lead one to think it may be an official site. I agree that people need to exercise due diligence whenever they file official paperwork and pay $$ for it. But the simple fact this thread is generating such interest in enough to wave the red flag on this one!
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 09:15   #24

Wingless, why are you so adamant about defending these slimeballs?

Before you answer that, answer this first....How many people would actually pay $75 to this company after reading these threads and BOAT US press release?
Old 24-04-2017, 09:44   #25

What "defense" or attack has been posted by me for/against anyone?

IMO, all these topics are only useful for venting after-the-fact.
Old 24-04-2017, 10:03   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post

IMO, all these topics are only useful for venting after-the-fact.
No, the purpose of these threads are to alert other boatowners not to fall for the same scam that got me and countless other people who thought they were dealing directly with the CG.
One guy on another forum actually signed up for the 5 year renewal. He's pissed.
Old 24-04-2017, 16:14   #27

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

I would strongly encourage everyone who has fallen for, or even been solicited by this scam to report it to the FTC, and if you really want to make a stink cc your US Congress person and Senators (use their local office address - not the DC address).

The FTC actually does take actions against these types of schemes, and they prioritze by the number of people filling complaints (and if legislators are asking questions).

Here's the FTC website for filling consumer complaints :
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 08:21   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Is the Coast Guard trying to get us to drop documentation and go to state registration. First they didn't send me my renewal notice then sent me a "courtesy letter" saying I only had 45 days to register then when I finally got them on the phone to renew it's now $75 per yr, up from 25. MD is only $35 for 2 yrs.
75 usd is the scam letter not from uscg.
find the REAL uscg website and renew there or fone em in west virginia.
there was a lady named ruth who did me well with my renewal in 2015--i hope she is still working there-- is uscg nvdc. must be nvdc or not work. find em online.
it is only 26 usd anually to renew, not 75.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 14:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Cotemar, I'm starting to think like you that there are a couple of people responding to these document threads that have financial ties to the company being discussed.
Old 25-04-2017, 14:54   #30

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Cotemar, I'm starting to think like you that there are a couple of people responding to these document threads that have financial ties to the company being discussed.
All I can say, is there is a special place for someone that would steal from a boater or boating community.

The list of PISSED of boaters is growing every day.

We now know who he is and the out of pitch SONG he is singing.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men