Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2007, 02:03   #31

2,167 posts and counting - come on Shaun, spend that time building a business like I have and get out cruising mate. You must have the life skills to make a packet. I'm no guru but have managed to start a small business that turns over enough to allow me to take 6 months a year out to go sailing - try the same and think a little outside the square for a good business idea no one else has thought of and get out there!!!

On another note - the bum donate link was put up as a joke to start with, but if you think about it the people who donated probably enjoyed their read enough to donate. There must be thousands of people out there who can't cruise (for many reasons such as bad health etc) who live their dream through web sites such as bumfuzzle.com Their idea of a world cruise is not my way but many people out there enjoy it!
Old 21-04-2007, 02:27   #32

rich t; i haven't given the bums any money either, haven't got any to spare!and i personally wouldn't ask for donations for a pleasure trip either, but i also wouldn't want to keep a blog and tell everyone what i'm thinking and where i go; i'm pretty private and misanthropic. that's why this thread is kind of ironic to me; i really haven't got that many friends, so its funny that three of them pop up like this at once. i have always thought singlehanders sail alone for one of two reasons: either they want to be solo, or nobody wants to sail with them and i don't really know which catagory i fall into! as to the expense of living in the virgins, it is very pricey to live on shore. on a boat is basically free, though one has to have a registered mooring, ($5/foot/year) or anchor out. if anchored out, one has to move every six weeks to a new harbour according to the dpnr. this is not really enforced evenhandedly, as some boats sit and others are told to move on, but it certainly makes things difficult if one has a job and has to go to work at a certain time and place. coral bay is pretty much the best all weather sheltered harbour where one can anchor without being pestered, (too often) but transportation is an issue, (need a car) and drinking water. moorings are almost impossible to aquire. lots of sailors also live in marinas on st thomas, i don't know the exact rates, but it all adds up. 1500/month for 2? i usually end up spending somewhere around $200/250 a week and i'm not that big a spender, but i've gotten by with alot less. i do go out sometimes. $$ just seem to disappear, like anywhere else. i do spend considerably less when i'm in the southern caribbean. i don't know your trade, but there is work there for those who are reliable and trustworthy and the pay is not too bad. i don't know about st croix, only passed through a few times.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 02:29   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
OK, So I try burning my boat to the waterline, I try blowing myself up, I try suffocation from toxic fumes, I try splitting my head open with a large engine room hatch, I try scarring myself for life by trying to get two large batteries to explode in my face and I haven't yet had one damn cent. What does a guy have to do around here to earn this so called "donation"?!?!?! ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 04:22   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
My wife ran off, my four kids all need braces, and I’m being audited. I’ve also got this nasty mole I should have looked at. I’m cute & adorable, smart and funny (at least that's what my mommy told me), and I’d like to retire, buy a boat, and go cruising.

Please understand , this appeal is not a craven solicitation for unearned gratuities, and remember your obligations (to me), as commanded by God:
"For the poor will never cease out of the land; therefore I command you, You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in the land."
Deuteronomy 15:11 RSV (The Law of God, as given to Moses)

I want and deserve your support - send cash ... (I'm opposed to taxation)

“Never stand begging for that which you have the power to earn.”
Miguel de Cervantes

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 04:32   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
My wife ran off, my four kids all need braces, and I’m being audited. I’ve also got this nasty mole I should have looked at. I’m cute & adorable, smart and funny (at least that's what my mommy told me), and I’d like to retire, buy a boat, and go cruising.

Please understand , this appeal is not a craven solicitation for unearned gratuities, and remember your obligations (to me), as commanded by God:
"For the poor will never cease out of the land; therefore I command you, You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in the land."
Deuteronomy 15:11 RSV (The Law of God, as given to Moses)

I want and deserve your support - send cash ...
Well, if you had a Webcam. and you were wearing a Bikini , then maybe I would put a cheque in the post. Possibly.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 05:21   #36

Boat: C&C 27
Remember Cruising World and Outside? My first year in college was as an education major planning to climb and write stories for the adventure magazines and national Geographic and fall back on teaching if need be. In the same vein think of all the sailors who have distinguished themselves in some way and proceeded to profit from their experience.

There are a lot of people making a liviing writing about the way they live. On top of that publishing is changing daily. Infoworld has just announced that they will cease print publications all together. SailTV is new (and frankly not that good... yet) but it may be a great outlet for someone with the talent to talk about cruising. There is a lot happening in the electronic media that a sharp mind can exploit. And there are a number of ways to make money off of the web, be it begging, sponsorship, commerce or pay for access (not likely for a sailing site although boat diesel does it.)

Dave said: "I believe that everyone should invest in themselves by becoming the best person they can be in their own profession." Which is the best point I have read so far. As a computer geek I can make far more money than I ever would trying to publish. What happened with your hospitality business?
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:33   #37
cruiser

I'm glad I started this thread. It was worth it to see those fantastic responses from Wheels and Gord. ha ha ha Really funny, guys... side splitting.

I agree with David. You will need webcams to pull in the big donations.

So anyway, I am doing what you say, Southernman. The reason I have so many posts (aside from having been a member for years) is that this is some of my only entertainment. I have this and reading. We don't have a TV (although we do have some DVDs). I pop on here for entertainment and to learn rather than popping on the TV.

We are back at anchor right now and I am indeed following your advice as well. I've struck out on my own, other than chartering, and am working independently. Why let the "middle man" or manager keep the profits? Why not take them all?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:37   #38

Again, just for the record, diverting "donation" money away from children in Africa and towards middle class white yachties is disgusting to me. You can rationalize it anyway you like, of course.

I have a hard enough time justifying spending as much money as I do on my boat, knowing full and well that the incredible money dropped into it could do the world a lot of good in other areas.

But then extending my naracistic and self satisfying endeavor to other people, and taking their money which could concievably go towards real causes? That's one I don't want to be talking to St Peter about.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:53   #39

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
Again, just for the record, diverting "donation" money away from children in Africa and towards middle class white yachties is disgusting to me. You can rationalize it anyway you like, of course.

I have a hard enough time justifying spending as much money as I do on my boat, knowing full and well that the incredible money dropped into it could do the world a lot of good in other areas.

But then extending my naracistic and self satisfying endeavor to other people, and taking their money which could concievably go towards real causes? That's one I don't want to be talking to St Peter about.
Couldn't agree more: this sailing game is purely a matter of choice - you dont HAVE to do it! ......yet we have a current thread on a lady who is single handing around the world....good for her say I but not with my wallet....Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 11:10   #40

Boat: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I'm glad I started this thread. It was worth it to see those fantastic responses from Wheels and Gord. ha ha ha Really funny, guys... side splitting.
Now see what happens when you tell someone........
Quote:
Do you think your going to get much response to that?
A little controversy works every time.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 12:42   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I agree with David. You will need webcams to pull in the big donations.
It doesn't matter how many Webcam's I or Gord have, niether of us are going to pull much money being viewed wearing Bikinies. :-)
Hmmmm, however, we maybe swamped with donations to have us turn off the webcam. ;-) :-)

Old 21-04-2007, 12:44   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ummmmm, lets make that webcam's as in plural, before anyone thinks something even scaryer

Old 21-04-2007, 13:31   #43

Web cams - you guys need something like big brother on TV with 'shower sceens' on your yachts - charge people to log on to view. I don't think I'll be viewing but there must be people out there who will want a look!! You may need to employ an attractive young thing for this part!

Good on you Shaun for thinking outside the square. You know down here in NZ we need more people who think outside the square - cruising down here is certainly cheaper than the USA - why not sail down here over say a 4 month period and get some work down here - You could sail to NZ on a very small amount of money if you kept a tight ship and pre stocked the yacht before leaving.
Old 21-04-2007, 13:33   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler

It doesn't matter how many Webcam's I or Gord have, niether of us are going to pull much money being viewed wearing Bikinies. :-)

This being the 21st Century and Internet land I can pretty much guarantee their will be some market for "Blokes on Boats in Bikinis"*...........whether this is a good or bad thing or a market you and Gord wish to explore is another matter.........and a matter of personal preference, if not exactly "taste"

* Is the tag line competition still open?!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 14:58   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
What's wrong with the Bumfuzzle method...

The essence of those cruising websites that get donations seems to be that they stay in contact with those who send money.

Don't you know any bikini models?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote