Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 10:05   #61

Boat: Morgan 45-4
Re: Drunks charter. Biggest pax issues

US Code 2302(a) (a) A person operating a vessel in a negligent manner or interfering with the safe operation of a vessel, so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of a person is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000 in the case of a recreational vessel, or $25,000 in the case of any other vessel.

Interfering with the operation of a commercial (charter) vessel is a Federal Crime. I would inform the offender that he is under arrest and call the Coast Guard to come and pick him up.
captndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 11:36   #62

Boat: Currently boatless

If you're really concerned about drunken belligerent clients turning violent and how dealing with them may backfire, from a legal perspective I'd suggest also install miniature camera/s in strategic locations on your vessel; in case you had to resort to violence you'll have it on record to prove it was justified
Hofmeyr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 11:55   #63

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmeyr12 View Post
If you're really concerned about drunken belligerent clients turning violent and how dealing with them may backfire, from a legal perspective I'd suggest also install miniature camera/s in strategic locations on your vessel; in case you had to resort to violence you'll have it on record to prove it was justified

Do that without (your having) knowledge of the laws in the various jurisdictions you may be going to can land you in a heap of trouble that will make having a drunk charter the least of your worries.
Old 28-01-2022, 13:01   #64

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmeyr12 View Post

This might be the worst advice yet on this thread. Prevention is the cure.
Old 28-01-2022, 14:35   #65

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

I've also forayed into the Charter business with my 50 ton license on my Pearson 39 sailboat. I thought it would be a great way to meet some interesting people. Although I met some great people (one who worked in the West Wing for Obama), there were enough belligerent drunks to make me reconsider. I sold the sailboat and bought my Trawler. I decided not to document the Trawler for Coastwise Service, so I won't be tempted to try it again.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 06:38   #66

Good day to you all. I’ve been sailing for over 40 years now and been charter skipper for the last 18 fortunately for me 99% of my customers have been nice,well mannered, civilized people. BUT I will tell you that the few times things went wrong were alcohol related. “Alcohol” is your worst enemy onboard. I don't want to minimize your terrible experience you had onboard but my worst nightmare is a drunken MOB if something tragic were to happen it’s all on you the skipper (at least here in Europe)
So that 1%
.I was on a 41’ Beneteau, with 7 young Russians getting hammered, when a drunken girl jumped overboard all of a sudden with all sails up, 15kts of wind, chopy 1.5mt waves and lots of traffic. The probabilities for disaster were way up there. When I finally picked her up after 15 minutes of hectic maneuvers, she was crying hysterically. I shouted at her why she jumped, she said “I was testing if my boyfriend loved me enough to jump after me to save me” I couldn’t believe it. He did try to jump after her but I told him “Do not even move” in a very authoritarian manner “I would have two drunks in the water instead of one”. After that I told them “sorry guys trip finished we’re going back”
Years later, I was on the same boat with a bachelors party of 10 from Sweden. Usually there is someone in a group who is the clown, the one who needs attention, probably very insecure and for sure a Drunk. Fortunately I can detect them quickly and I keep a very close eye on them. So we went out and as usual they started drinking as if there were no tomorrow, but the clown was drinking twice as fast and getting drunk and out of control very quickly. I told the guy who chartered the boat to control his friend or we would have to return. We went along with the clown annoying everyone and falling all over the boat. By the end of the trip we were coming into port and I was thinking that this one was over with. I’m in the middle of my docking maneuver on reverse stern to, between two other boats and the clown some how manages to jump between my stern and the dock. So now I’m forced to put the engine in neutral, the wind is pushing us on to the other boat, I can’t tie the boat and the clown is in the water trying to climb on to the duck but he is too drunk to do it. I seriously thought he might drown. Thank goodness a guy from security was passing by on his motorbike saw the situation and quickly helped the idiot get out of the water.
All of these events are near fatal, it only takes a little twist of fate and tragedy strikes. In the end like someone said before it’s better to lose those customers than risk your boat and others. It’s not worth it
So yes there should be some kind of booze control on a charter especially if you are responsible. Sailing and drunkenness are not compatible. If they object to that then is better not to do it. It just doesn’t make sense to give all the safety briefing if you're gonna have drunk customers on board.
Thaks and be safe
ramonex3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter