Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 06:30   #1

Boat: Dreaming of a Leopard 42/43
Duties: Not for Sale in US Waters to US Citizen / Resident

We are looking into a boat that is for sale in Florida. On the website it says Duties: not for sale in US waters to US citizen/resident What does this mean? I'm Canadian my husband Austrian.
been bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 06:36   #2

Boat: Privilege 482
This means the boat was never "imported" into the US. As soon as a boat is considered to be "for sale" (not "sold", mind you, just up for sale) in US waters it is subject to import duties (from ~1-3%, if I recall correctly; duty is based on where the boat was built). This statement allows the owners to get around the "for sale" trigger which would otherwise subject the boat to US import duties. I believe it also means that you would have to take the boat offshore and/or out US waters to effectuate the sale.
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 10:53   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
teneicm is right but since you're non-US citizens the law doesn't apply to you, as far as I know. You might run into problems if you kept the boat in US waters for an extended period (and extended is a murky subject). I think Florida gives you 90 days to either register the boat or leave the state.
Old 15-06-2010, 14:57   #4

My post is somewhat related in a backwards kind of way I have found a boat I wish to buy in Canada, but reside in the USA and am a citizen. My question is is how do I buy the boat without suffering a major financial hit bringing it 'home'? The Bill of sale thing is already covered, but the boat is home built and I am not sure where to look for regs on the importing of a homebuilt (abroad) boat that is over 15 years old?
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote