Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 04:51   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Florida to Chesapeake

If you do choose to go up the FL-GA-SC ICW with a 7.5 foot draft, join TowBoatUS first. Really, there will be good boat deals available when you are ready for them; now is the time for a learner boat.
Old 19-06-2019, 06:07   #17

If you're absolutely set on doing this, Ranger42c's advice above is solid. SeaTow will be essential and really get to know your tides!

Best of luck!
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 06:17   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I'm going to have to agree w/ the majority here and get something in the Chesapeake to cut your teeth for sailing. Better to start smaller, gain experience and then work your way up to a bigger boat.
We run our 6.5' draft in the mid Atlantic East Coast and while doable would consider a 7.5' the max draft for this area and Bahamas. We don't even consider doing the ICW in SC or GA. with our draft unless you can afford a long time to get through while waiting for the right tides and going aground.

Could go on and on why its not a good idea to purchase the FL boat and move it by yourself as others have covered it well. Gain more experience with a smaller sailboat first.

If you can't find a boat closer in NJ, MD, VA or NC, you haven't looked hard enough since there are plenty of fixer uppers for any one's budget.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:24   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'just a short list of some requirements to run the ICW with a draft of 7.5' :

1. As you will only be underway at selected portions of the tide cycle, you will need to allow for more time to complete the trip.
2. You will find yourself at anchorages more exposed to weather since you will not always make your day's expected destination. Your ground tackle needs to be top quality.
3. Obviously, you'll be motoring most of the time. Your propulsion engine needs to be in good condition and with adequate HP to maneuver in strong currents.
4. You will be subject to a number of soft groundings in mud and sand. If your underwater configuration is subject to damage due to a long unsupported rudder or a keel that presents an abrupt angle forward, you will have more difficulty.
5. A reliable dinghy allowing you to set an anchor for quickly kedging off a grounding would be a benefit.

I've transited the Florida to Chesapeake ICW more that two dozen times with a 4'3" draft ignoring concerns with low tide without any grounding problems. The tidal range will easily allow a 7.5' draft for those selecting the rising tide. Most everyone grounding in the ICW is port or starboard of some deeper water. Local knowledge is a great advantage. During my first trip from the Chesapeake to Florida in 1972 I was aground 13 times with a 5.5' draft. These were mostly events that delayed me no more than half an hour. In more recent years our groundings became quite rare, but never a problem and NEVER an event that required a tow.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:37   #20

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Buy your boat locally; it doesn't have to be the only boat you ever buy. Time to get your dream boat later. Attempting what you have described may result in a fiasco that ruins the dream forever.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 17:13   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

I don't understand how this can be your dream boat when you don't even know how to sail. It must be pulling at some romantic notion of a sailboat, which is a recipe for disaster for your first boat.

If it draws more than 7', and it's a ketch with mainmast of 61' this thing must be 50' plus. If you're buying something bigger than 35' for your first sailboat you're setting yourself up for all sorts of trouble. I'm guessing from your posts that you're getting this for "a bargain" which in a boat this size means "way more expensive to refit, maintain, and operate than you fully appreciate."

Do yourself a favor and buy something manageable, inexpensive, and with good resale value and learn on that. A Catalina 30 would be perfect. Is it salty and romantic? No. Is it incredibly practical and the right size for you? Yes. I'll bet that after you learn to sail and develop seamanship skills and understand what is required to maintain and operate a bigger boat that you'll be glad you did not bite off more than you could chew.

If you insist on moving forward...it's going to be difficult getting the boat from Florida to the Chesapeake. It's going to be a long, tiring, difficult trip up the ICW with a new (and probably dysfunctional) boat and not having done it. There are limited places to stop along the way as you cannot anchor in much of the ICW. You need to plan each day with target stopping points that get you secure before dark. As mentioned Shallotte Inlet and Lockwood Folly Inlet are undergoing constant shoaling (fyi I went aground through there last February, drawing 6', because I was not paying attention to the tide). You'll have to play the tides on numerous stretches along almost the whole route, which means you could well have days where you barely make 10-30 miles on some stretches. It could easily take you a month to do it, your first time, given that a) the boat is going to break and b) you're constrained by your draft and speed.
Old 30-07-2019, 08:43   #22

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
If you do choose to go up the FL-GA-SC ICW with a 7.5 foot draft, join TowBoatUS first. Really, there will be good boat deals available when you are ready for them; now is the time for a learner boat.
Thank you, I was planning on that since I hear conflicting information regarding the depths of the ICW along the various states as well as the state of regular upkeep.
JonVonOrient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 08:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
If you're absolutely set on doing this, Ranger42c's advice above is solid. SeaTow will be essential and really get to know your tides!

Best of luck!
LittleWing
Since I have been out I have been extensively studying the charts and plotting a hypothetical course should I have the opportunity to get the boat. ( And if it checks out okay.)
Old 30-07-2019, 08:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I don't understand how this can be your dream boat when you don't even know how to sail. It must be pulling at some romantic notion of a sailboat, which is a recipe for disaster for your first boat.

If it draws more than 7', and it's a ketch with mainmast of 61' this thing must be 50' plus. If you're buying something bigger than 35' for your first sailboat you're setting yourself up for all sorts of trouble. I'm guessing from your posts that you're getting this for "a bargain" which in a boat this size means "way more expensive to refit, maintain, and operate than you fully appreciate."

Do yourself a favor and buy something manageable, inexpensive, and with good resale value and learn on that. A Catalina 30 would be perfect. Is it salty and romantic? No. Is it incredibly practical and the right size for you? Yes. I'll bet that after you learn to sail and develop seamanship skills and understand what is required to maintain and operate a bigger boat that you'll be glad you did not bite off more than you could chew.

If you insist on moving forward...it's going to be difficult getting the boat from Florida to the Chesapeake. It's going to be a long, tiring, difficult trip up the ICW with a new (and probably dysfunctional) boat and not having done it. There are limited places to stop along the way as you cannot anchor in much of the ICW. You need to plan each day with target stopping points that get you secure before dark. As mentioned Shallotte Inlet and Lockwood Folly Inlet are undergoing constant shoaling (fyi I went aground through there last February, drawing 6', because I was not paying attention to the tide). You'll have to play the tides on numerous stretches along almost the whole route, which means you could well have days where you barely make 10-30 miles on some stretches. It could easily take you a month to do it, your first time, given that a) the boat is going to break and b) you're constrained by your draft and speed.
Your mind is definitely on point, the boat is roughly 51' and the price is 15,000 as agreed with the yard. I am about to fly down and take a look at the boat in a week's time to decide if it is worth saving or not. For now though I will post photos so you can also weigh in.
Old 30-07-2019, 09:09   #25

Everyone is an entrepreneur. The only skills you need to be an entrepreneur: an ability to fail, an ability to have ideas, to sell those ideas, to execute on those ideas, and to be persistent so even as you fail you learn and move onto the next adventure.
Old 30-07-2019, 09:28   #26

Boat: B24

I seldom join the “don’t do it…” crowd, but either you have maritime/marine advantages you haven’t alluded to, or this is an exciting idea with low chance of success…

Once you get your dream boat to Virginia, there are a few DIY yards where you can save a buck and enjoy refurbishing at your own pace – been doing it to my boats off and on for 35 years. And while I’ve been known to sail a strange boat across the Chesapeake with minimal recent experience, that is extremely straightforward compared to the trek you propose – regardless of whether you go inside or outside. I hope you are just being overly modest with your nautical skills – or are just trolling – but assuming it all to be an honest appraisal, you seriously need to engage a captain, or experienced mate to assist with a sailing a large, strange vessel that far…

Best of luck… but I’d suggest a second look at the cards you plan to deal yourself…
Old 30-07-2019, 09:31   #27

Looking at the photos, there is a ton of work required before this boat is seaworthy, even for an ICW trip.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 09:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
I seldom join the “don’t do it…” crowd, but either you have maritime/marine advantages you haven’t alluded to, or this is an exciting idea with low chance of success…

Once you get your dream boat to Virginia, there are a few DIY yards where you can save a buck and enjoy refurbishing at your own pace – been doing it to my boats off and on for 35 years. And while I’ve been known to sail a strange boat across the Chesapeake with minimal recent experience, that is extremely straightforward compared to the trek you propose – regardless of whether you go inside or outside. I hope you are just being overly modest with your nautical skills – or are just trolling – but assuming it all to be an honest appraisal, you seriously need to engage a captain, or experienced mate to assist with a sailing a large, strange vessel that far…

Best of luck… but I’d suggest a second look at the cards you plan to deal yourself…
I have rarely if ever trolled, this entire conversation has been an honest assessment. In the beginning I was planning on asking for help, but as I studied the situation more I felt that few if anyone would be willing to help in piloting both an unknown, and relatively badly conditioned boat up the ICW.

Furthermore being only exprienced in small motorboats. I would be little more than a student learning the various characteristics of this boat in general.
Old 30-07-2019, 09:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
Looking at the photos, there is a ton of work required before this boat is seaworthy, even for an ICW trip.
I was honestly going to throw a fresh coat of anti-foul, and run with it like that. When I got the boat to Virginia I would then take the time to go over everything until it was once more a proper bluewater boat.
Old 30-07-2019, 10:12   #30

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVonOrient View Post
I have rarely if ever trolled...
Sorry, I wasn't trying to impugn your integrity -- I've done portions of the ditch on a center console, so your description resonated with me. I've also thrashed through the hasty months to get a strange boat in the water, rerigg, hand stitching sails and plugging hole and then sail it to a new destination (in the Chesapeake Bay) and I thought that was a tall order, and perhaps foolish, just inside the Bay.

Your project can be done if all goes well -- I'm of the school that says very little is truly impossible -- but it is still a very serious challenge... If the weather cooperates, and vessal is on its best behavior it can be a wonderful adventure...

As you begin to build your plans, you might reflect on these -- and not emulate;

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/awing/69884
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/awing/72402

Tags
florida