Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 15:11   #31

Boat: Looking for 30-50' preferable a schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to craigglewis
Re: Free Boats on the ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenamick View Post
Unbusted,
The schooner south of ST. Augustine belongs to a friend of mine.

He told me he has his own ideas on how to save money by bottom painting his own boats by grounding them and as they roll over, quickly apply as much goop as he can in a couple of hours between dry hull and "Will the paint dry in time?".

That boat was an abandoned vessel a couple of years ago and he bought it for a dollar from the City of St. Augustine. I helped him seal all the thru-hulls and get it launched within a week of his purchase.

Quite a few folks live on their boats just south of Auggieville, free of charge and most of them watch after each other's boats while they are away.

Florida has been aggressively gone after abandoned vessels and their previous owners for a few years, but the funding is running out and it's hard to find a government agency who will pull the trigger and cough up funds to have them hauled and stored. It all is coordinated by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

(why is the rum always gone?)
I was just about to see if I could get this one
craigglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 15:23   #32

Boat: Looking for 30-50' preferable a schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to craigglewis

Do you know if there is a list of all these free (Abandoned) boats. May some Gov Agency has a list.

One idea I have is if someone lives in the area to create a list, Boat name, reg number, any marketing, Boat model, size, etc

Post the list and anyone interested could investigate and see if they can find the owners.

At least this much work can be done. If after a certain amount of time I guess one can acquire the boat and re-registered it.

I would keep detail records of everything (times, costs, money spent, etc) just in case the owners show up. At least you can say that you did not steal the boat. You tried to find out how owned it and that you like the money back that you put into it to keep it safe.

If one can not find the owner. Maybe you can find the insurance company, for I'm sure they will what you to take it of their hands, rather to have it sink and them paying for the recovery.

BTW I'm looking for a 30-50 sailboat, a Schooner would be great.
Just saying, in case you sail by one. Take a few pics and send me.

Cheers,
Craig
craigglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 20:42   #33

Boat: Sampson C-Strutter 60'

Craiglewis,
I do know of a 50-something footer in St. Augustine area pretty much for free.
It's currently floating and needs a hell of a lot of work!

Anyway, send me a email and I can give you the details as I know them.

The boat was offered to me a couple of weeks ago and I turned it down, as I have my hands full restoring my 60' ketch.

kenmickler2001@yahoo.com
kenamick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw