Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 14:59   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Good idea or mad - Moving boats

What do you think to this idea?
My boat (35ft classic cutter/yawl) is currently in the Caribbean, St Lucia. I now live on the west coast of Canada having moved from the UK. I sailed her as far as the Caribbean but am having trouble getting enough time off to finish the trip. Problem is getting time away from work in the winter and in the summer you are in the hurricane season.
Time is not critical so I was thinking about looking for a couple who might be interested in having the use of the boat for the winter season in the Caribbean/west coast. They get a full season cruising in exchange for dropping the boat anywhere from LA north at the end of the trip. They pay running costs and insurance for the time they are on board. I pay Panama transit cost and probably survey costs for insurance plus any preparation the boat needs for the voyage.
The sort of people I was thinking of would be, for example, an experienced sailing couple with their own boat who would like a season 'down south' but don't want the long haul; A couple who where experienced sailors contemplating living aboard who wanted to try a long cruise before committing themselves; Possibly a research or environmental group wanting a vessel for a season but I think she would probably be too small for this.
The alternative is trucking or a paid delivery crew both very expensive.
Ever heard of this sort of thing? Am I mad? Or is it good idea?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Good idea or mad - Moving boats

It's a matter of trust and insurance.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23   #3

Great idea if you can find the right people
GillianLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16   #4
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Re: Good idea or mad - Moving boats

Roland, as a point of reference, we trucked a 32 foot sloop (Hunter 326, 2002) from San Diego to Corpus Christ, Tx. cost about $5k for the trucking, $2, to prep for the truck in San Diego, $1K to take off of truck and re-rig. Total cost about $8,000. From St. Lucia to Corpus Christi would take about 2 weeks straight across the gulf, and then they prep and put it on a truck.
The reason I mention Corpus Christ, was that we found the lowest price with the best references in Rockport Texas House of boats. House of Boats :: Full Service Boatyard and Haul Out in Rockport TX The reason I said San Diego on the other end is only because that is where we found a reasonable yard on the west coast that could put the boat on a truck. It also gives you a reference price to what it actually cost someone. BTW Joule Yacht transport is who moved our boat. Move your boat or yacht with confidence with Joule Yacht Transport

So, if you could take three weeks off to get the boat from St. Lucia to Corpus Christi (or find someone to deliver it that far), you might find that it is not as expensive as the comparable cost for all the other stuff you were willing to spend money on.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote