Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 14:27   #16

Boat: Delfini II, Aloha 32
Re: Hourly Rate For Captain

BTW, the $1000/ft is a pipe dream. it was the same 10-15 years ago, and even then very few people who actually got that. That number was used by some of the crew agencies in Ft. Lauderdale and other places to get people to sign on with them. it was not realistic then and still is off the mark. It was too easy to get tickets at the license mills, there were too many who dreamed about driving a mega yacht the quality of personal suffered. I had many friends in that business, my brother and my father work directly and indirectly in that industry. I know many captains who are still actively work. You have to be pretty lucky as a new guy to get a chance at a position. I myself work in commercial bracnch of the marine industry and I like the fact that I only have to work 6 month/year and I don't have to pick up anyone at the airport and carry their luggage up the gang way after I drove the limo for them. Nothing more than a glorified butler. I am sure there will be a lot who will feel offended by this, but these are not my word, they are coming from friends who are calling themselves that. I have to say, that it takes certain type of personallity to do that work. Most will spend most of their time at the docks washing the boat. my friends complain, that its hard to get decent time off and they are running a kindergarten (young crew) for about the same pay as one can get in the work boat/cargo ship industry.
Captv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 16:11   #17

I have a 1600/3000 ton USCG license and an MCA 3000 ton Y4, worked for 9 years on yachts and commercial before that, currently working shoreside managing large yachts.
Being a yacht captain is sometimes a lot like being a butler, more so on small boats (less than 120 feet). Once you get to 120 feet and up you can expect close to $1000/foot and sometimes more depending on your experience level. Of course that means you've probably spent 5 to 10 years working your way up from smaller boats to get to that level. The days of getting a license and stepping aboard as captain are long gone. I'm hiring guys with 500 ton licenses as second mates on medium sized yachts, know of several guys with 1600 tons who have been mates for 5 or more years and still can't get a command.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 21:49   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Ah well!! Maybe its "quality of life" that we look for. I'm currently delivering a yacht from Seychelles to Brisbane which is "wrong way" and not a lot going for it! I'm on a fixed price but have a contract which builds in for delays due to weather or defects. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Its a matter of personal honour/integrity to get the job done and in this case, I'll probably lose out. But what the heck? its good for the reputation (and deliveries are very much "word of mouth"), its good for the new experiences - every day there is something else to mend - sometimes, things you havent done before and at the end of the day, the Good Lord doesnt deduct time spent at sea from your overall life-span!!?? Sail safe everyone!! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 22:08   #19

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Whatever the hourly rate is, it must be tough turning up time after time to a dodgy boat that's not in seaworthy condition. How often have you got to put up with that? Some must be a real surprise packet?

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Whatever the hourly rate is, it must be tough turning up time after time to a dodgy boat that's not in seaworthy condition. How often have you got to put up with that? Some must be a real surprise packet?

Greg
More times than not, I'm afraid! Your contract will stipulate minimum state the boat should be in and what equipment (safety, Nav, Spare Parts etc) that should be onboard. At the end of the day though, the owner wants his boat somewhere else so you are transitting in "Low Season" with all that that entails. But that's what your paid for.... T
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 20:34   #21
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

As Chuck said, $250 a day plus expenses. However, I make sure the boats I deliver aren't abused, and keep marina and fuel expenses down to a minimum.
As for owner aboard deliveries, as long as my fee is paid up front, and I have an open airline ticket in hand so I can leave the boat if I feel it's necessary - i.e. as in it's that or the owner goes overboard at night in deep water - the owner is welcome to come along.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 14:28   #22

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Day rates are fine and dandy but surely there have to be some people who work in ports and get paid hourly? Does $30/hr sound reasonable for a charter boat or water taxi?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 14:34   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ones i know are paid, for long deliveries, transportation to and from boat, a perdiem , and 1-3 dollars per mile, depending on certification. unlimited master, 3 dollars per mile. 50 ton - 500 ton, 1-2 dollars per mile.. dont know about in harbor trips.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 18:21   #24

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

From what I saw in the oil patch off Louisiana, anybody with captains papers and some experience that wanted a job and was willing to work and could pass a drug test was happily working. Then you had loads of wharf rats with captain's papers strung out on meth that would spend hours telling you how many boats they owned and how great they were. There are also many people living on boats here and there that want to make a couple of deliveries and live off that for the year. If you go up and down the ICW you can get a pretty good idea how these captains treat the boats they are delivering and how considerate they are to other boaters. I wouldn't trust one of those guys to take my garbage out to the curb.
Just saying.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 18:29   #25

there are some htere who are excellent people. i met some when i was there-- do you truly believe a licensed captain is gonna do meth and get away with it when a hair test will tell what you have done for 5 yrs???? get real. folks have lost boats and licenses for less.
Old 25-07-2011, 06:25   #26

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Of course there are many wonderful captains out there, but if you want to hire one that is unemployed on a short term basis for quick money you probably aren't going to meet one.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 07:03   #27

you would be surprised........
Old 25-07-2011, 08:12   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Of course there are many wonderful captains out there, but if you want to hire one that is unemployed on a short term basis for quick money you probably aren't going to meet one.
This is a growing problem, especially among delivery skippers. I have two friends who, within the past year, have hired skippers to return boats from a cruise, and both have had to spend tens of thousands of dollars in order to fix the damage from their captain's stupidity.
Old 25-07-2011, 08:36   #29

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Lets see..... I am living in Louisiana. Have a 1600 ton Master with 2nd Mate unlimited upon Oceans. Semi-retired and teaching Maritime science part time...
Would I take a short term trip? Why not!? Don't drink or do drugs. So according to another person here, I'm a rarity in this area...
In reality; There is no way am I going to endanger my license by doing very stupid activities.
Actually I would interview the owners... because I've seen a few that will try to put their dings, scratches, and other ills on to the person they've hired to deliver their boat.
Before you take the contract for the delivery; Go over that vessel with a fine tooth comb, taking pictures of every little detail that is NOT shipshape or in Bristol fashion.
Because if you don't, the owner will say that you did that damage to his vessel.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 09:28   #30

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Having worked in the charter boat biz for 30 years I can say that the '100 tonners" are the ones that do the most damage. Great ... you know your lights at night and a few other things. Doesent mean you can handle a cramped boat with a lot of liquored up charteres who are paying to have a good time. Now don't get pious here.... it is how it is.

. We would hire captains to drive what are basicly bareboats for the day or several days. These were for groups or day work with instruction. In the last 10 years the rate was about 125-150 day + tips. This means you fix the clogged head and empty the trash, cleaned the boat when done. Not a glamorus job but beats working for a living.

A good Capt. will develop a reputation after years of grunt work and keep busy. This is usually Extra income, not a living unless you get a permenant position on a bigger boat or perhaps a watertaxi or dinner boat.

Fising is a different world not addressed here.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain