Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2016, 15:20   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: How Long Did It Take to Sell Your Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahneema View Post
What is the best way to figure out the true value. Is there an Edmonds used car/boat site or other types of calculators. Thanks
Do you mean something like a fair value?

I'd rather concentrate on prices.

If a boat is made in long series and actively traded in a market, you may try to get some insight from averaging the askings (reject any offliers first, unless you have or want an offlier boat) then applying a discount factor (since askings are not deal prices).

I am afraid if you ask now about the discount factor, I will not respond.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 00:42   #32

There is obviously some luck involved. Get lucky and overprice the boat but someone desperate for that particular model comes along and you may get the inflated price the next day. Or you could underprice a one off boat and no one picks up on it for months.

Reality speed has almost nothing to do with age of the boat. It's all about the price relative to what the market wants to pay.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 18:51   #33

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

My last boat, a 1974 Grampian 30, sold for about $2000 less than I paid for her after about 8 weeks on the market after several years of hard use and no upgrades, but I did maintain all her systems and she was priced pretty well because I already had my next boat.

My current boat is priced at I think fair market value but is an older rare design. I had to take the ad down after 3 days because I was overwhelmed with inquiries ranging from the very clueless to veteran sailors. We're about 10 days into that process and I have 3 1/2 serious buyers I'm focusing on. If one of them doesn't end up taking her, I think I might relist her a bit higher to keep the tire kickers at bay.

I don't think, if you live somewhere with a healthy economy boats that are priced fairly should be too hard to sell- provided they are actively sailed.

The ones that have been sitting high and dry for years, particularly if they were not very well built boats to begin with I think can be very difficult to sell.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 03:01   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The ones that have been sitting high and dry for years, particularly if they were not very well built boats to begin with I think can be very difficult to sell.
As they should be!

Jim
Old 16-04-2016, 04:15   #35

When the buyer and seller agree on a price that is the market, wether you got a good deal or bad deal is only in the eye of the beholder.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote