Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 11:02   #31

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Re: How Long Do You Own a Boat?

Melges 16 - 9 years
O'Day 25 - 19 years
Contour 34 - 13 years
FP Mahe 36 - 4 years and counting (possibly final boat)
Catkeywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:53   #32

Boat: B24

I seem to sell/trade boats when my life situation changes (every 8-10 years I guess). With one glaring exception, I don’t recall ever being dissatisfied with a boat to where I wanted to unload it, but changes in my job/geography/home situations have precipitated a sale. The one I have now is just about right – which has always been the case (until it wasn’t).
Old 31-08-2018, 12:12   #33

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I'd love to switch every 5 or so years if it were financially feasible. Racer/cruiser, heavy full keel, sport boat, cat, tri.... I want to experience them all and in all sizes. I've sailed on enough different boats to get the basic feel, but a short sail or delivery is nothing like ownership.

Matt
Old 31-08-2018, 12:44   #34

Boat: Vancouver 28

My first I had 20 years. A Dufour Arpege, as much as I could afford at the time and not on my wishlist. But I still miss her, having cut my teeth on her. And after 20 years you really know your boat. My current, a Vancouver 28, I've had coming up for 5 years and I reckon she'll see me out.

Circumstances and the sort of sailing you aspire to play a large part in the length of time you keep a boat, I think - after 20 years I knew exactly what maintenance had been done, but the increasing costs of maintaining an old boat meant it was time to cut my losses and go for the top of my original wishlist!
Trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 13:08   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
I seem to sell/trade boats when my life situation changes (every 8-10 years I guess). With one glaring exception, I don’t recall ever being dissatisfied with a boat to where I wanted to unload it, but changes in my job/geography/home situations have precipitated a sale. The one I have now is just about right – which has always been the case (until it wasn’t).

Yes, that too.
Old 31-08-2018, 13:10   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
My first I had 20 years. A Dufour Arpege, as much as I could afford at the time and not on my wishlist. But I still miss her, having cut my teeth on her. And after 20 years you really know your boat. My current, a Vancouver 28, I've had coming up for 5 years and I reckon she'll see me out.

Circumstances and the sort of sailing you aspire to play a large part in the length of time you keep a boat, I think - after 20 years I knew exactly what maintenance had been done, but the increasing costs of maintaining an old boat meant it was time to cut my losses and go for the top of my original wishlist!

The Corsair F-24 that I have now had been on my wish list for about 20 years!
Old 31-08-2018, 13:21   #37

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

Current boat: Newport 28II, 23 years. I single hand sail this one (wife doesn’t like sailing so I constantly debate trading her in) and it’s about right for day sails and an occasional over night. I upgrade equipment when the originals die.

J-24, 6 years.

Lightning, 6 years.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:04   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
That is exactly what I though 5 years ago. A year ago I decided I wanted something more nimble and downsized. Kids grew up and I was tired of big. I've always liked smaller boats. I didn't count kayaks, which I love. I will always have several, as long as I can hold a paddle.

Who knows, maybe my next boat (shudder) will be a monohull. Maybe.

[My new toy. It's more fun to drive, like a sports car! I also needed something to refresh my writing, lest it should stagnate or that I should develop fixed, ossified opinions. Better to remain open and flexible.]

And what does "serious" mean? They all count.
Interesting points, TW. I can understand the desire to experience different boats with vastly different characteristics, especially when they relate to your profession as yours do.

In my case, I look at boats from the viewpoint of continuous live aboard cruising... the life that Ann and I have lead for the past 31 years. So, for me the "serious" appellation means a vessel that would support that usage.

At some point we may be forced to move ashore, and at that time I might well consider a different boat... perhaps an Etchell 22 or even a small multi like yours... something to play with, do some low key racing and to enjoy when the wx is nice and I'm feeling good. That could be fun and keep me from going land crazy, but it wouldn't be a "serious" boat by my current definitions.

I suppose we could even end up with a m/v. If we should decide to live in Tasmania in our dotage, a m/v with "indoor" steering and a big heater might allow us to be on the water all year long. Who knows/

Jim
Old 31-08-2018, 14:17   #39

Grampian 23, 7 years
Rhodes 18 6 years
Ranger 33 5 years
Beneteau 235
C&C 41 6 years
O'day 40 5 years
O'day 222 4 years
Freedom 28 1 year current and hopefully last boat
Also owned a Holby 17 skiff 4 years
Holby pilot 19 10 years current fishing boat
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:58   #40

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

NEVER. BOAT OWNS YOU.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:06   #41

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Ross 780 racer/cruiser. 26 years and loved every minute.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:36   #42
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

This is a great question, but you are unlikely to get a valid response

Those who are particularly proud of their boat choice and how long they have owned it, are likely to respond.

Those who have made poor selections and sold relatively quickly ate mot likely to public ally admit it.

In my experience the average boat is owned for 6 years per owner.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:50   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
This is a great question, but you are unlikely to get a valid response

Those who are particularly proud of their boat choice and how long they have owned it, are likely to respond.

Those who have made poor selections and sold relatively quickly ate mot likely to public ally admit it.

In my experience the average boat is owned for 6 years per owner.
how long have you owned your current boat?
Old 31-08-2018, 15:57   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I guess my wife and I made a poor choice with our first liveaboard boat because it only had an 8' beam and I could not stand up inside of it. It was a swift Sparkman & Stephens designed Whitney 30, but we wanted more room and only kept it for two years.
Our second boat was more of a "truck" than a racing design, but at 33' our Morgan Out Island was twice the size of our first boat; however, we had two children while living on this boat and they just kept growing! We enjoyed our first Morgan for 13 years.
We had our 41" Morgan OI Ketch for 32 years and long after our children were grown and gone. It was hard to let it go, but physical health caused us to give up the cruising life.
....'about 16 years per vessel.
Old 31-08-2018, 16:02   #45

Boat: Newport 28

My current boat? almost a year. I'm relatively new to the game, as far as ownership goes. my First was an Excalibur 26 that I had for three years (closer to 4 but three seasons of sailing). It was purchased with the intent of getting used to sailing again (my dad had a boat when we were little), and learning along the way. I gave it away to someone to do the same. It wasn't mint condition, or close, but it was serviceable and that's all I cared about.

This boat, my Newport 28, is the next step in a process. This one was purchased as the next step up, to something with a little more displacement, but more importantly to get a feel for a larger cabin and comfort level. The plan is to keep this boat for another year, and then look for a much longer-term purchase. Though if I'm honest, had this boat not come up at a cheap price leading into a season that I would've been boat-less, I would be skipping this step and moving to the next one.

In my case, this has been the main plan from day one, to step up a couple times to get used to things getting bigger. It's not that I didn't like the Ex26, it was a great little boat. It's not that I don't like my N28. There are things I like and don't about each, and likely will have the same feeling about anything in the future. For me, it's just a plan and it goes in stages.

Tags
boat