Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2024, 15:45   #76

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: How Long Do You Own a Boat?

This thread is so old the original posters have to come back and add five or more years to what they put last time.
We had our last boat, a 1981 J/36 for 25 years. Great fun. We've going into our 4th season with the "new" one, a 1996 Sabre 402.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 16:35   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Another 2018 thread revival...strange, to say the least.
I might as well add to it.
First boat in 1962, an 8 foot flattie with a 1947 Merc outboard. I used to go out in Puget Sound and jump ferry boat wakes with it.

Second, 1965, a ten foot 3 point hydro, glass over wood with a Merc 50 and a deadstick throttle. It would do slightly of 50 MPH.

Third, 1969, same motor on a ten foot GW Invader. It only did 43 mph, but it could scare the crap out of my new girlfriend who would become my wife.
I no longer have the boat, but I do still have my wife (who is now in memory care).

Not counting various dinghies and a 14 foot sailboat, the next (and probably last) boat is my Dragonfly 1000. We found it in 2000 in Puerto Escondido, Baja while on a vacation with cruising friends.

I'm pretty much restricted to day sailing these days with a very well cruise equipped boat.
Good to hear from you sorry to hear about your better half .
Old 09-07-2024, 17:16   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

I had 6 different power boats from 1973 - 1980.

The first was a Chincoteague Scow I bought at age 16. $300. Plywood. Late 60's 40 HP Johnson and it went from there. (Virginia and North Carolina)

First sail boat was a dinghy sailor I got by trading my 7MM Deer Rifle for it. (Tennessee)

Hobie 16 in 1992. Hobie 16 in 1995. Nacra 6.0 1996 (new). Nacra F-17 2001 (new). (Tennessee and Florida)

1974 Bristol 27 bought in 2011. $2,000. (Virginia)

I have had the Bristol 27 a lot longer than any of my other boats, and I still have it.

Just bought new sails for it.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 12:41   #79

Boat: Catalina 42

Had 3 prior cruising boats, average length of ownership has been 10 years.

The current boat is just getting comfortable for me in year 2, I hope I can keep it a good long while!
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 13:27   #80

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The current boat is just getting comfortable for me in year 2, I hope I can keep it a good long while!
I find it takes about 2 years to truly get comfortable with a boat, which is one reason I advise against purchasing your dream boat then setting off nearly immediately. Build some time into your plans so you can make your trip much better by having a boat you know well.
Old 10-07-2024, 13:38   #81
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
This thread is so old the original posters have to come back and add five or more years to what they put last time.
We had our last boat, a 1981 J/36 for 25 years. Great fun. We've going into our 4th season with the "new" one, a 1996 Sabre 402.

I started the thread in 2018, about a year aft I bought my current boat (but it is my 4th).

I'm not getting the itch yet. I just came back from a brilliant sail with my 29-year old daughter, with her driving the whole time. 15-20 knots winds, and lots of surfing. It's still the right boat for me (F-24 trimaran). But I'm not kidding myself that it will be forever. No idea. It still gets the occasional tweak.
Old 10-07-2024, 18:29   #82

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Cal 34-3 5 years (but learned to sail on her as a kid)
Pearson 36-2 10 years
Beneteau 423 8 years and going strong
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 22:53   #83

Boat: Islander 36

There's a guy on my dock who has owned the same Islander 36 since 1978. To say he knows everythng about these boats would be an understatement. Very handy for me since I have had my I36 for less than a year!
Old 11-07-2024, 05:15   #84

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

It depends on the boat.
Some lasted 1 or 2 years, my favorite boat was a C&C 38 with a custom keel designed by marine architect Chance. It was a joy to sail, had it 14 years. I also bought, fixed and sold a couple auction boats in that time, which I tried out.
The current boat ten years, between purchasing, refitting and cruising time has passed quickly. Thats probably going to be sold in the near future to buy a more modest, easier to maintain boat better suited to our current needs.
It's hard to come up with an average, changing needs, time, and cost all come into play. Kids grow up and out of the house, move to a smaller boat. Just starting, most buy a smaller boat and move up as time goes by, then start to downsize on the back of that curve.
There is such a difference in individual needs at different times in life that ownership can vary drastically.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2024, 10:16   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
If you have owned several, what is the average? If this is your first, guess. If you think you will own this one forever... that does not mean you will be sailing it that long.

For me, I've had 3 boats and each has been about 10 years. I think that is about how long it takes to get to know the boat, do everything with it that I want to (trips and modifications), and get bored with it. I'm guessing this one will be about the same, and I'm not sure what it will be next. I thought I would keep the last one forever, but I was wrong about that and I am glad that I moved on. Each move has been positive and educational.

So how long do you own a boat?
Boats are not like cars for me. It is a hell of a laborious and expensive job to get them like you want them, get fully used to them, taking years. I don't understand people who buy new boats and change them every 4-5 years.

I've had my Moody 54 since 2009, so 15 years, and have no plans to sell her in the near future. Therefore, I continue to pour money and labor into her every year. This year was particularly expensive; I spent more on her than I spent buying my first house. <ouch> Not counting a few weeks of my own and my friends' labor.

The previous boat we had for about 20 years. She was really a member of the family.

If I buy or build another boat, it probably won't be to replace the Moody, but in addition. I'd like to have a boat for the Arctic, a larger (maybe 25 meters), metal (probably steel), ketch or schooner rigged, big diesel and tankage, rugged, probably old and cheap. For Arctic trips, maybe some adventure-type charters, NW Passage, etc. I'd maybe keep it in Iceland, find a decent professional skipper for it, and charter it out when I'm not using it myself.

I might replace the Moody some day if one of my projects comes a cropper and I have the money for it. If that happens, then I wouldn't mind something just a bit larger, with a dedicated workshop, better deck/sail storage, and space for one or two pro crew. It would be really great to have a pro engineer on board.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat