Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2011, 08:12   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: How Much of a Black Hole Is a Boat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
How big? I have seen gulls fly by close never to be seen again. It will empty a wallet at 0.999 of the speed of light. Drop a coin in the bilge and you will never see it again. One day the oceans will be drained from the vortex that surrounds boats.
oh, good....i will be able to check my thru hulls and paint bottom without the dastardly yard fees.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 08:27   #32
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Funny, we were having this conversation this weekend with friends. We were boaters of all kinds, from tiny day sailers to 42 foot power condos.

Costs were all over the scale of course and some were diy folks and some were hire it all done for them.

We have a 28 footer that we got for 2500. Paid too much. Have spent about 10k in 2 years and still have loads more to do to her. Won't be able to sell her for more than 5k at BEST when the time comes, but she is Himself's live aboard so some of the sunk costs are his housing as well.

Have a 23 footer some one gave to us. We have spent 2K so far and will spend another 2K before we are done fitting her. The annual costs will depend on how long we keep her, but she will sell for 3500k prolly, at best.

Clearly we are at the bottom of the food chain and total DIY people.

When it came down to it one of my friends had this to say;

Bring
On
Another
Thousand

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 11:20   #33

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

F=MC2

Fun=Money * Cost of upkeep squared.

More money = more fun....or so I am told....
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 11:50   #34

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

Geez.. It looks like most people on here pay WAY to much or just make loads more money than I will ever see..

Learn as much as you can about every system on the boat and do the work yourself. A true cruiser needs to know these skill anyway.

Mooring fees can be kept low by shopping around.. Free/low cost moorings can be found.

Although DYI boatyards are getting harding to find, they are still the least expensive hualout alternative aside from beaching on a high tide.

Thinking outside the box will save you tons of $$

For me land life has always been many, many times more expensive, both financially and mentally..
Old 19-09-2011, 11:53   #35

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
6 grand a year for boatus insurance, decent marina, annual bottom paint, and occasional repairs ought to do it for that size boat. At least thats been my experience in Maryland for the past dozen years. Enjoyed it greatly though. Better than scheduling a week here or there for a cruise, condo, resort or the like in my estimation. Enjoy Yourself.
I agree, for basic upkeep. What starts getting expensive is when you start upgrading and replacing equipment. It all comes down to how well you can accept the status quo (i.e. putting up with a tired old sail).
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 13:27   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the upkeep on a boat i snot anything more than upkeep on a home--if you reside aboard, it IS upkeep on your home. and parts for boats can be found used readily. not so with a house, as far as i can see--- where doye find a used roof???? i know used brick-is lovely, but used WOOD?? used concrete????
so --is better to have a boat than a house, as you can find used parts that still function properly and someone else decided wasnt NEW enough for self......

a sail is old and tired when it rips in light winds.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 13:48   #37

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
F=MC2

Fun=Money * Cost of upkeep squared.

More money = more fun....or so I am told....
I wish that was true but based on my experience and observations it ain't always so.

Perhaps it is just a missing variable in the equation which could be:

Fun=(Money * Cost of upkeep squared)/inability to pay
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:30   #38

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

I bought my first boat in 1984, so that's 27 years of boat ownership for me. The first was a 30 footer, the last 2 36 footers. Although I've never stopped to add up the slip fees and other costs over those years, I have also never thought to figure out how much food I have paid for. To me, a boat is just a necessity of life, like air. What the boat needs, the boat gets. I can always scrimp in other areas.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:48   #39

Boat: C&C Newport 41

there are no bargains.

a 100K boat i s a 100k boat regardless of if you buy for 20k in a dilapidated state and refit she or buy her right as rain and ready to go for 100k.

in the bay area... 12K a year for the slip, insurance, annual haul out and basic utilities.

that 12k is your annual expense after you have your boat together and ready to be living on. living in 1 cabin while u refit the others complicates the 9-5 (business clothes) live aboard scenario.

part of the question is what is the intent of the vessel (if you wanna sail, you need rigging and sail) if you wanna live aboard you need working head(s). if you want to entertian your need a finished deck / cockpit. if you want to cook your own meals, you need a proper galley.

each of the above and easily cost 10+k.

there is a massive difference between being able to buy a boat and being able to afford a boat.

the 'it will be cheaper' attitude is not particularly viable.

owning a boat is less expensive than owning a house (all the same expenses) but more expensive than renting an apartment (of course location is a major variable).
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:52   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I bought my first boat in 1984, so that's 27 years of boat ownership for me. The first was a 30 footer, the last 2 36 footers. Although I've never stopped to add up the slip fees and other costs over those years, I have also never thought to figure out how much food I have paid for. To me, a boat is just a necessity of life, like air. What the boat needs, the boat gets. I can always scrimp in other areas.

Mike
I can identify with your priorities.

It cost money to have fun. Even going to the park cost something. Taking, or buying a lunch, fuel for the car, or change for the bus ride. Sailing is the most fun thing I have done, as well as rewarding. WELL, except for one thing, and I married her twice!.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:54   #41

Boat: Broward, 108'
Send a message via Skype™ to Lotustrbo

I have found that cost are over stated ... now there are solid cost for instance insurance mine was 22k per year, fuel 14k-18k depending upon prices per tank, crew cost during season where also fixed. But maintenance cost depends on your ability as an owner. I did my own hydraulic repairs, engine repairs, gen. repairs and fluid changes. Refinished my own bright work etc. So lots of money can be saved as long as you're will to get your hands dirty and have the knowledge to do the repairs without compromising your or your boats safety.
Old 19-09-2011, 17:39   #42

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Black Hole - compared to what? A House??? And for the past 4 years you have to admit that a House is not an appreciating asset... Which one is going to make you smile when it is moving at 7 kts? Surely not the house .
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 19:35   #43

Boat: Columbia 41

I own and live on a Columbia 41 here in Washington DC. A small one bedroom apartment would cost about $2,000 here. Yes, that's $2k with electric extra. I pay $600 for slip rent with 15amps of shore power included. With insurance, modest upgrades, maintenance and bi-annual haul out my total monthlty expenses come to about $900. Or roughly half what shore side accomodation would be. Besides that, I ride my bicycle to work so I avoide all the expenses and hassle of owning a car. So, if you live aboard the boat can pay for itself and then some. If you live ashore and keep the boat for a toy, well, toys cost money.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 20:21   #44
CFR

Hi my last boat i kept in Germany and Denmark was Nordic Folkboat, which is an active class here with aprox 600-1000 boats arround. I bought i 10 years old for expensive 30.000 usd, used in 10 years and spent approx 10.000 usd all incl and sold it last year for 35.000 usd. Lost only 5000 which is nothing compare with 10 summer holidays and 15 weekends a year a used it. It depends on the calss and the market, if it would be just a typical white boat, you will not get the money when selling. Now i have 44 feet one off which is nice but will not be easy to sel, but i will keep her anyway for the next 10 years.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 20:30   #45

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

1) You can't take it with you

2) Sailing usually puts a WIDE grin on my face

3) It keeps me sane

ALL of this offsets the obvious: We could spend our weekends in a 5 star hotel, with meals out, for the same money. Maybe less.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat