Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 17:51   #1

Insurance Craziness-Should I Trust Progressive?

Insurance sure is odd. Would love your input.

I bought a 35' Catamaran for $15K last year. BOATUS offered me insurance. Boat in in Florida. Agreed Hull Value $961. Actual Cash Value $817. I chose ACV since I couldn't expect the value could ever be considered less than $15K. Other same model boats list for $35-50K.

It's renewal time, so I checked with BOATUS and they pushed back a bit, but offered to sell the Agreed Hull Policy $15k . I said "it sounds like ACV would be better for me in a total loss because of the market price of like boats" and they informed me my ACV policy covers me ONLY UP TO $15K. I don't think they ever mentioned that small detail, which sure seems odd, because if you read the policy it states actual cash value is based on BUC, NADA, other vessels.

So I played around on Progressives Marine insurance. I plugged in 30K and 40K boat values, picked deductibles, etc., and I even fessed up to my accident and ticket. The site asked me if I wanted to purchase an Agreed Hull Value policy at about a $400 savings. No request for survey...nothing...

Another funny thing on this site is when I switched between Agreed Value and ACV, the ACV was MORE expensive...maybe I missed a deductible amount change or something like that. Weird.

So my question is...would you trust Progressive to actually pay out in a total loss? I think BOATUS would be a better bet in partial loss, but wondering about total loss.

The other thing is you can choose between 75 miles offshore and 125 miles offshore. Is there any reason a boater wouldn't be covered up to Cuba's 12 mile international border?

I appreciate all input...
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 18:29   #2

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Insurance Craziness-Should I Trust Progressive?

Seems that between Key West and Cuba, you would never be greater than 75 miles off shore of one island or another. I would definitely want a "included" area Bahamas, Caribbean etc

I believe "Agreed Upon Value" is more cut and dry. The "Actual Cash Value" calculation should be clearly defined in policy. Otherwise, I would ask agent to "help me decide on actual cash value of my boat".... in an email.... which should then be saved.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 18:39   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Insurance Craziness-Should I Trust Progressive?

It sounds like you are trying to select an underwriter based only on price which is never a good idea as they define terms like ACV very differently not to exclude other loss coverage.
Read their policies and contrast the differences before you decide. If they can't or won't give it to you, run away.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance