Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 23:49   #1

Insurer for Delaware flag in the Med?

Hi. I'm looking for an insurer who can cover a Delaware flagged boat in the Eastern Med (Greece and Turkey). I'm from the UK and all the brit insurers I speak to say they aren't regulated to write insurance for US registered boats anymore. All the US insurers I've contacted say they only cover US residents.

I know there are a lot of Delaware registered boats in Turkey and Greece, so wondering how everybody does it. Any help appreciated.
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 00:34   #2

Re: Insurer for Delaware flag in the Med?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypag View Post
Hi. I'm looking for an insurer who can cover a Delaware flagged boat in the Eastern Med (Greece and Turkey). I'm from the UK and all the brit insurers I speak to say they aren't regulated to write insurance for US registered boats anymore. All the US insurers I've contacted say they only cover US residents.

I know there are a lot of Delaware registered boats in Turkey and Greece, so wondering how everybody does it. Any help appreciated.
So this boat isn’t USCG documented, but just registered with the state of DE, as in your title says state of DE?

I know lots of Canadians who have US state registered bass boats and motorcycles and whatnot, I know geico has no issue adding a Canadian to a US auto policy.

Only issue I might see is the boat is all the way in the med. Maybe if it was phrased that the boat was based in the US but sailed to the Med a lot??

Yeah not sure, but I wager your issue will be more with where the boat lives vs what your passport says.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 19:00   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350
Re: Insurer for Delaware flag in the Med?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypag View Post

Check Yachtinsure from the UK. I used them.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:18   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Insurer for Delaware flag in the Med?

Check carefully they can write such insurance after Brexit

Have you tried Pantaenius

I also suspect you’ll need full national registration , why not put it in the U.K. SSR at least