Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2008, 07:46   #16

Boat: Tashiba 40
Sweet Surrender,
Thanks so much for the sites. I already checked out Elance the morning and will check out the others. I like to write but don't know if I qualify as professional. But what the heck, it's worth a try. I'll definitely check out Problogger, maybe then the cap'n will quit giving me grief about how much time I spend on this 'puter. Merry Christmas.
Old 25-12-2008, 08:26   #17

Making money for boating

I do a few web sites myself and I have made some money. I have not made a lot of money. I try to sell or trade boating things for gas money. Has anyone here done that?
Charles Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 10:27   #18

Send a message via ICQ to gitarwmn Send a message via Yahoo to gitarwmn
Talking The Admirals Captian says

Merry Christmas! Where ever you are in the world and what ever your beliefs, have a safe and happy holiday!

https://gitarwmn.blogspot.com/
gitarwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 17:57   #19

We have a travel blog with Adsense...

I put together a website for friends and family to see what we're doing. I added feedburner RSS, adsense, and adbrite to it to generate a little cash.

I try to add a post with at least 2-3 picts every day and give a 'real' picture of our experience (for what it's worth).

I use a wordpress platform with a little more customized theme. I am finding right now- adsense pays off best. Adbrite ads do not match my content very well. I have the inline ads and the block ad from adbrite but they pay pennies compared to google adsense right now. I tried chitika but all I got was ebay ads.

Today we made about $13. Not a daily occurrence but I hope to grow it.

You can check it out:

JC McDowell and the Family Unit

If you take a look- click on a few ads and add to the food/diesel fund. No purchase necessary

Thanks.

JC

feel free to contact me with questions.
Old 13-01-2009, 07:09   #20

Send a message via ICQ to gitarwmn Send a message via Yahoo to gitarwmn
Cool

We've started similar blogs and have put adsense into them. Mine is gitarwmn which I just started the other day.

Dene's is the real chronical of our experience so far at s/v Sweet Surrender. Dene made about 2 bucks on it the other day and I'm thinking that's a start. What the heck it can buy us a bottle of rum or something of that nature if we get a couple bucks a day from it. Happy sailing!

gitarwmn

https://gitarwmn.blogspot.com/
gitarwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 09:19   #21

Boat: Watkins 27
I do web design and hosting. So if anyone would like my services drop me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP. You want have to take out a bank loan or give my the title of your boat for my services.

David
Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 11:03   #22

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarwmn View Post
My question is what do other cruiser do on the internet to make money for cruising?
I'm not quite cruising yet, but I will be soon. I'm a computer programmer now and I'll continue to be after getting underway. I can work anywhere the laptop will work and intermittently send in work anywhere I can get Internet. Right now, that's a rented townhouse. Later this year, I'm hoping that it will be a boat.

Quote:
Are there other viable options to making money on the net?
There are lots of options. I'm going to assume you're not going to be shipping product since there's not much storage room on a boat and you're probably going to want to be disconnected from a post office occasionally. That leaves affiliate programs (commissioned sales of other's products), pay-per-click marketing (driving traffic to other people's web sites), website advertising, and a few others.

Having said that, few, if any, are really viable. You're chances of making enough money to make it worthwhile are slim. Some of the above require an ongoing investment and might end up costing you money.

Rather than making money on the Internet, try to continue to do what you're doing now, if possible. If you have either have specific knowledge to pass on to someone willing to pay or, a skill or a trade that can be performed virtually, that's your best bet.

What do you do now?

Quote:
What has been your experience with them?
From my experience with a few Internet ventures, you're going to be putting in a lot of work to make someone else a lot of money. Just my opinion.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 18:50   #23

Boat: Levitation
Hi All .... This is a really interesting topic to me as I want to throw away my day job within the next couple of years for full time cruising (have a 32ft Caverlier) one of the ways I hope to 'keep' myself is through the internet. Not being too clever on a computer I went with Site Build It ...SBI and I am thrilled with my 3 months ... so far ... progress! I put Asense on it last week and money has dwindled in every day, but they show and guide you into multiple streams of income! It will be coming on my site but it is a slow process. I have spoken to people who are are making some money to heaps who swear by SBI! Check it out I have links on my site www.cruising-women-on-yachts.com/passive-income.html the other thing is I recon it's dirt cheap for what they deliver and any one can do it even me ... just keep in mind it is a work in progress and I have a long way to go!!

Looked at all your sites ... they are great, love Agurs, McDowell's and Gitarwmn's ... and I did a few 'clicks' for you all!!

Chrissie
S/V Levitation
www.cruising-women-on-yachts.com
Chrissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 22:25   #24

For those of you working onboard, I cant find the link ATM but there is a shade you can buy for your laptop. It looks like a secondary screen. it sits about an inch from you regula screen and eliminates glare. I have two, one for each laptop. They work great!!

And yes you can make a very good living with an online biz, I have done it for over ten years, it paid for my home, it paid for another biz and now it and the other biz will be paying for my boat.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 08:35   #25

I make some money writing for Helium.com Tell them I sent you.
Charles Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 15:02   #26

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Here's a link to a previous thread about how I plan to make some extra $$ while cruising. I do this now part-time and last year I made about $3000 for the year. I now have another contract and I'll probably be making more, depending on how much time I want to work. This is not a passive income. You have to transcribe what people are saying, and therefore need to know how to type and have good grammar/language skills. You won't get rich, but you can top off the cruising kitty whenever there's decent internet available.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-12251.html

Cheers!
Old 08-03-2009, 16:00   #27

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingy View Post
There are lots of options. I'm going to assume you're not going to be shipping product since there's not much storage room on a boat and you're probably going to want to be disconnected from a post office occasionally.

Rather than making money on the Internet, try to continue to do what you're doing now, if possible. If you have either have specific knowledge to pass on to someone willing to pay or, a skill or a trade that can be performed virtually, that's your best bet.

What do you do now?
Good advice about continueing to do what you do now. I am just moving my office aboard the boat. With an Inmarsat connection or similar, there's no reason why many office jobs cannot be done from the boat. Saves on office rental, furnishing, heating costs too - try that one on your boss.

Also, you can ship product, if, you set the operation up properly. Many ECommerce sites use a shipping and distribution set up operated by a transport company. They warehouse your stock, and ship it to your orders. You just handle all the web-site, and administration processing from the boat. They handle all the logistics.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 18:10   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So, Twisty, how DO you pay the rent?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 09:33   #29

Boat: Formosa Transworld 41 - Ago Vita
Send a message via Yahoo to offrd2001
Im going to try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post
Good advice about continueing to do what you do now. I am just moving my office aboard the boat. With an Inmarsat connection or similar, there's no reason why many office jobs cannot be done from the boat. Saves on office rental, furnishing, heating costs too - try that one on your boss.

Also, you can ship product, if, you set the operation up properly. Many ECommerce sites use a shipping and distribution set up operated by a transport company. They warehouse your stock, and ship it to your orders. You just handle all the web-site, and administration processing from the boat. They handle all the logistics.
Im not sailing yet either...seems like alot of us arnt BUT, at any rate, what about this idea. If you are traveling in areas of the world that produce some interesting trades..custom jewlery, baskets, art...etc....Have an Estore thru ebay and sell your findings. In those parts of the world you are going to buy for pennies and should be able to make a profit. I do like the idea of companies warehousing your stock. That means you just ship the items back to the states and they will take care of shipping it to buyers. You would be surprised what you can find in other countries. Im working in Afghanistan right now and there is a 12 year old boy that can produce painting on canvas that could rival Picasos. He is amazing! If anyone is interested in knowing or getting a picture of some of his paintings....drop me a line.

Dave
offrd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote