Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 09:34   #91

Re: Is a 32' Sailboat Over-sized for a Beginner?

A Catalina 22 could be a Bahama dream boat for the right person. If you like solitude and non traveled places you could go where no one else does. Dont mind the feel of camping. Probably even find your way from Georgetown across the bank toward Cuba.
I crossed to Bahamas once with a couple on a 23 foot boat. They were both well over 6 feet, about 6-2 to 6-3 I think! Pretty cramped but they had fun...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 07:30   #92

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A Catalina 22 could be a Bahama dream boat for the right person. If you like solitude and non traveled places you could go where no one else does. Dont mind the feel of camping. Probably even find your way from Georgetown across the bank toward Cuba.
I crossed to Bahamas once with a couple on a 23 foot boat. They were both well over 6 feet, about 6-2 to 6-3 I think! Pretty cramped but they had fun...
The "right boat" is always "the boat you have". There is no "wrong boat" if it is yours, you love it, and you're able to have positive and fulfilling experiences aboard it.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:01   #93

Sent from my LGLS770 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
boater 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:31   #94

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I was self taught on a Hobie Cat. Then moved up to a Hunter 33.5 (new off the floor). All lake sailing. We now have a Pearson 424 ketch in Hawai'i. Sailing basics applied to all. The big difference is the complexity of maintenance. Go for a mid sized boat and take lessons on it.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:26   #95

Boat: Vancouver 27

There's a million ways to do it. Everyone's different. And it's not that difficult or complicated. Have respect, try not to bite off more than you can chew, learn to deal with some level of fear or apprehension, and keep learning.

A lot depends on the boat too. Some 20' boats are "purpose built" for "cruising" and may or may not be more appropriate for the job than another boat twice the size.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:40   #96
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I'd say a Laser is a better size for a beginner, but it seems like you've already got your heart set on what you want!
Here's some wise advice which the originator of this thread will almost certainly ignore.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:50   #97

A 32 footer is perfect for a beginner. Stable, will not tip over, way more comfy, and once the learning curve is surmounted, is a lot more enjoyable than a small sailing craft with some exceptions. Assuming we are talking about cruising and not racing sailboats.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 13:07   #98

Boat: Catalina 387

The first boat I owned was the Catalina 30 I own now. But I did know how to sail a bit. The first time I took it out of the slip wasn't the prettiest thing in the world but it worked. Sailing isn't rocket science - it's not tough to get the boat to move. It's a bit tougher to get it to move well.

Really hard things: stuff like replacing the macerator pump and being in sht up to your elbows; going up the mast 'cause your own stupid self shoulda held onto the end of the halyard; looking with despair upon the tangled mess of wiring the PO left you. So, the great benefit of a Capri 14 is you wouldn't have any of those really hard things.

Horses for courses folks. Plenty of folks learn in lasers. Plenty learn in Catalina 34s. Whatever boat you wish to float.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, size