Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 09:38   #16

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Is it possible to live aboard a boat with no money (no income)?

Living in a marina can be a cost-efficient alternative to an apartment ... could be "very" cost efficient.

I've noticed that when I stay on my boat, I eat less often(too much stuff to do on the boat), and although I wake up about 3 hours earlier(5:30 am or so), there's not enough time to get things done at the leisurely boat-life pace I've set.

I go to bed earlier(usually), and I sleep like a baby(compared to sleeping in a bed).

I can save money like I never thought possible, while on the boat, and as long as I don't "push" the boat to it's limits, maintenance is not bad.

After staying in a marina, and sailing out, you'll be able to determine if this is what you want.

At such a young age, if I were you, I'd spread my horizons into making money in any number of ways(self employment-wise).

To only work(for others), the winter season means you're very unlikely to improve your lot in life.

The more wildly different ways you can make more money, the better off you are and the more money you can actually apply toward retirement.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 11:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJeepx View Post
Could a liveaboard sailboat in my price range not sail the USA coast?
You can definitely sail the US coast in a boat in that price range. If you're smart you can get a lot of boat for $20000.

My last boat was $7000 and I did plenty of coastal cruising in it. Out of site of land, lots of different weather conditions. I sold it for $5000 and the guy I sold to cruises out of site of land in varied weather conditions- a single dad with 3 boys under 10.

My current boat for under $20k is both seaworthy and sea kindly. It's full of beautiful teak interior, teak decks, spacious with 2 staterooms, and a workshop. 9 sails including heavy weather sails a Perkins diesel in good shape. Equipment includes dinghy and motor, auto pilot, 3 VHF, GPS, sea frost fridge, 4 bilge pumps, new upholstery. 4 anchors, 2 shots of chain on port 3 shots of 5/8 nylon Rhode to stbd. I could go on for a while.

Don't let the Richy riches tell you you need a $100 000 boat to cruise the coast of Florida. Or even Newfoundland- because you don't.

I would confidently take my bargain boat places I wouldn't take many brand new quarter million dollar boats.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 11:48   #18

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Thank you! I will order that book. Only $10 on Amazon.
Did you even check your local library before looking at buying? Or ask around to see if you could borrow it from someone? These are the things you need to think about if you are going to try living on the cheap.

The thing about money is that we tend to spend what we have. If you have $5k/year, you make it work. If you have the same amount per month, you still make it work. Ironically, the $5k/year probably doesn't even have any debt because no one is going to loan them anything. So, the real trick is to learn to not spend, even when you do have. That way, you have some saved up for when you genuinely need.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 11:49   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I would look at boats in the $10K-$15K price range and figure it will take another $5k ish to get things up to snuff. Nothing larger then 30-34'.

You can live simply on $500 a month. I did that for a number of years. $600 with a marina ($200/month). So figure $6000 minimum per year to live for the year. That includes no medical, but at the $6000 per year income there is no penalty with ACA, Actually can be $10k without penalty. That does include $60 a month to save for a haul out every 4-6 years.

Currently I work from my boat doing engineering design work. Alas, working requires that I have great internet so I have two Wifi hotspots from two different carriers. That allows me to remain connected most places I go. So my living costs are up to $700 a month. Still not bad.

Lot's of cheap boats out there, many can be had for less then $10K. Yes then need a bit of elbow grease to fix up, but for a young lad, its much easier then when your in your 50's.

SO yes it can be done. Read Fatty's book as the man knows how to squeeze pennies.

Good luck
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 11:57   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If the sails and rigging are in good condition, there is no reason you can't take a $10,000 boat offshore. A Pearson Vanguard with almost everything to go cruising sold here for $4,000. Boat had been lived aboard on a mooring, then abandoned for more than a year so needed a lot of TLC but it was mostly cosmetic. There are boats out there if you look long and hard. A lot of boats in the lower price ranges are a hell of a lot more seaworthy than the flimsy boatominiums being sold for 6 figures these days. You are better to start with less boat than more. A single person can live on a 26' boat and a couple on a little larger one. It's damned hard to live aboard if you've blown all your money on the boat, though.

Anchoring out is possible but it depends on the area. Trying to hold a steady job won't be easy. Having a place to tie up your dinghy where it will be there when you get back and is convenient to ground transportation is the biggest issue. There may be times when you are stuck on the boat because of weather. Won't endear to a boss if you don't show up for work. Others have pointed out looking for marinas that you might call working class. All you need is a place to tie up the boat. Water and electricity are nice but have lived without easy access to both for years at a time. Gold plated neighbors aren't going to do much for your survival unless you want them to hire you to maintain them.

At your age, wouldn't worry about establishing yourself in a profession should you go back to a conventional lifestyle, btdt. Wouldn't want to do it If you were 50 unless you'd made enough money that you didn't have to work to be comfortable. Damed hard to find work that pays well commensurate with experience as you pass that age. Yes there is age discrimination in the job market.

What you propose is doable, did it when I was about your age.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 12:13   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
By slip, do you mean a slip at a marina? Does that have AC power? $200 sounds to good to be true at a marina. Do they allow liveaboards?
You can in the Panhandle, Alabama, etc. My slip is about $300 and if I lived aboard that's another $150. But that is in Panama City's, City marina. PC is of course a major tourist trap. Get a slip at a boat yard or other more simple, smaller marina in a fishing town for half what I pay, easy.
Electricity is metered, water is free use all you want, internet is included, but isn't very high speed, cable TV with a bunch of channels is included, pump out free at the fuel dock, or $5 if they come to the boat. Showers free, the washing machines and dryers are coin operated.

North Gulf is a whole different world than South Fl., and if you get into the smaller fishing type of towns, it's much cheaper.

You still haven't defined what you mean by leave the boat. If you mean for longer as in months at a time, best to pull it and put in on the hard.

Take to heart about storm season, plus you can't imagine how hot it is in July / August anchored out with the bugs etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 12:33   #22

Boat: Soverel 30

If you want to anchor out, invest in good ground tackle,solar panels, house battery bank and dinghy with outboard. Also make sure you are in complete compliance with safety and sanitation. Plumb your boat for pumpouts and find an area where you can get pumped out easily, whether moving to a mooring ball when you need pumped out (and do it regularly) or a pumpout boat comes to you.

As long as your legal LEO should leave you alone.

Its not easy but it is doable.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 13:53   #23

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

If you install a composting toilet you will not have to worry about pump outs. One less headache.
Old 24-02-2015, 07:26   #24

The answer is yes! My brother and his wife and there 2 year old lived on his boat in the Bahamma's for a year on $2000. Of course he was an excellent diver and spear fisherman and caught most of what they eat! He certainly never regretted taking a year off and doing that, in fact he wished he had done it longer.
areygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 07:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

You can find a decent Pearson 30 for way under 15K. You can go anywhere in a Pearson as long as you have enough water...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 07:54   #26

Quote:
Well, for anything. Work, pleasure, etc. I just need to know the cheapest way to leave my boat. Also, while it being a smart decision.
Why do you keep saying "leave" your boat? Do you want to live on it, or find a place to abandon it for half the year?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 08:13   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Young man give that idea a lot of thought. 30 yrs. maybe fifty it was possible.

Carefully read these posts. You will find more cons than pros.. It would be a lifestyle that would be nice if independently wealthy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 08:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Young man give that idea a lot of thought. 30 yrs. maybe fifty it was possible.

Carefully read these posts. You will find more cons than pros.. It would be a lifestyle that would be nice if independently wealthy.

[Watch this video, when you get a chance.]()
xJeepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 08:53   #29

I notice the title says "no money", but the content of the messages seems to indicate a lack of confidence in that idea.

I think the second point needs to be that there are lots of words to describe people who are in their 20's and aspire to live for free, but most of those aren't complimentary outside of a small community of cruisers and backpackers.

When you see those same people after 10 years, they divide into one of two camps: those who found a way to do it, like Fatty Goodlander, and the 90% who either gave it up and got jobs or became homeless. Those who can make a go of it could have done well in jobs as well, and work pretty hard at whatever they do.

Honestly, the odds aren't really that good.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 08:54   #30

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
pirate Re: Is it possible to live aboard a boat with no money (no income)?

First, congratulations on asking others for options on leaving ypur boat before you buy it. My suggestion is that you go to local marinas and ask about mooring areas. The thought, for most, of leaving your boat on a hook in open waters is spookee as we all know s%#t happens and Murphy thrives when you leave your boat. ( ask old people about Murphy's law).
Where I am the harbors will allow you to leave your boat in the harbor in an anchorage for 4 days per month for free and you can return for another 4 days as long as you are out of that harbor for at least 30 days. No slip, just an area designated for anchoring inside the harbor. The harbors are about 10 miles apart along the coast here so there are a number of "cruisers" called "harbor hoppers". 4 days in each harbor, they will make a route that takes 30 days where as they return to the originating harbor every 30 days and start their route again. Leaving a boat on an anchor inside a harbor is considerably safer than leaving one on a hook in open water. Additionally there will be a common place to leave your dinghy while you are ashore. Check your local harbors to see if this is a possibiity.
I disagree with others here that you can't find a boat to go to "Africa" with in your price range. My friend is selling his Cheoy Lee "Frisco Flyer" for $20 grand and I saw many of these in Hawaii, the South Pacific, Australia and Asia. Small,(25'), they can fit almost anywhere and with their full keel they take some hellacious wind. 300' feet of rode and 100' of chain with a good hook and they have a tendency to stay in one place. ( Tendency; remember Murphy's law ).
Bag your waste, ( usually letting your urine go is acceptable ), and have a dinghy that no one would steal and there you go.( Always have a cable and lock for your dinghy ).
Anchor along the coast and live for free? Leave your boat on a hook and go ashore? Yes you can do it. But remember just because you can sleep under a bridge and live for free, it isn't popular because it's risky and at best, not comfortable for year around accomodations. You are 24 ? Go for it !
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
income, money