Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 02:16   #1

Issues with foreign ports if my LLC owns the boat?

I'm thinking about personal ownership vs my LLC owning the boat so as to shield me from liability should something happen on the boat and to insulate the boat from seizure should some economic calamity hit me. (Too many lawyers in the family to NOT be a worst case scenario thinker.)

I saw an offhand comment, I think on Reddit, about registering at foreign ports or getting a slip in another country, even temporarily, can be a problem if the boat is owned by an LLC.

Does anyone know about this or have experience with it?

Thanks in advance!
ericettinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Issues with foreign ports if my LLC owns the boat?

My experience is only in the Americas, but as long as paperwork in in order--that is, everything legal or appearing so to a customs official--I can't see it mattering who owns the boat. So long as whomever is listed as Captain on the crew manifest is the one checking in, the only issue would be with a customs official who's phishing for bribes, and that sort can always invent an excuse.
A boilerplate contract from the LLC making you the captain/agent for the boat might be a good thing to have in the folder.
Now, if you're running the boat as a business, and there's local regulations about that, I have no advice to give--every place will have different requirements, and different penalties for those caught flying under the radar.

Tags
boat, ports