Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 07:17   #1

Boat: Amel Maramu 46
It is happening

I have all but come to terms to purchase a vessel. Purchase (pending survey and sea trial) will go down in the next 2 months. I have a couple questions- please chime in on any you wish:

1. Because the sale includes a dinghy with separate registration, is there an advantage to "pricing" the dinghy higher or lower? Because I will register the vessel(s) in Georgia, I will have to pay sales tax in addition to registration fee for each. I do not believe it will make any difference if the total price (boat and dinghy) is the same combined.

2. Maybe this question belongs in the "destinations" thread- Will sail the boat from Puerto Rico to Savannah the end of March/beginning of April. DO you think an "inside" trip (west of Bahamas and catch gulf stream north) or "outside" (east of Bahamas, open water all the way to Savannah) would be a faster/better route? This will be a pure transit trip with no sightseeing planned. Boat is an Amel Maramu, well suited for blue water cruising. Any guesses as to a duration for a trip like that as I am still chained to a land-based job and need to put in for the time off.

Having pored over many threads here, I feel I have a good handle on preparing the boat for the trip, plus, the owner has agreed to go along as he has much more knowledge of the characteristics of the boat and I want to glean as much as possible from him.

Thanks in advance-

Eric
hyperope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:40   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: It is happening

Can't speak to Ga laws but in Florida if you monkey around with the value of a boat, and the price is high enough, the tax guys can revalue it and come after you. Honesty may be the best policy.

Like most passages the weather is a big factor in the route selection. That being said going North with an assist from the Gulf Stream is can turn in to a horror story if a cold front from the North hits. The waves in the Gulf Stream turn square with a short period and the wind is on your nose going up the Florida coast. I65 is open ocean and Sea Tow is only a VHF call away in the Gulf Stream.

You pay your money and take your chances.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can speak to Ga. They have valuations of boats, just like cars, you may or may not get away with it, try to stay realistic.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Eric You have plenty of options--IF IF IF all goes well through survey and sale etc etc. As for the preferred route, weather is of course a determining factor but if in the GS, you can always cut across and get out of it if a northerly prevails. Don't hurry anything--it's an older boat but new to you. Figure on at least a few days to get everything ready and you'll do 125-150 miles a day average but of course good conditions in the stream could boost that to 200, maybe 250 or more and you will likely be downhill at least in the tropics. Definitely make use of the GS if weather conditions permit. It takes a while to get used to unusual systems and engineering on these French-built boats but they are proven world cruisers.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote