Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 14:15   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Leaving boat at out of state marina

My neighbors and I swap phone numbers then text each other if we see anything irregular... I don't, but some folk post their phone number where it can be seen. The marina has your number, seems they would call if something serious came up.
Old 06-04-2016, 16:59   #17

Somebody works at the marina. Flip 'em a $50, or whatever seems right to you, and tell them that if they can keep an eye on the boat for you and call you if there's any problem, you'll be appreciative.

Amazing how that can work.

I will second the motion there. Make some friends, ask around, check the history of that location and prevention is the key. A fifty is reasonable and an occasional gift card helps too...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 18:37   #18

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Make sure all the seacocks are closed (except for the cockpit drains) ALL of them, no exceptions. We do this every time we leave the boat! It will give you piece of mind and you will quickly find out if there are any issues with them.

I agree, make friends with one of the yard workers and find out what they like. nice bottle of something, etc. for keeping an eye on things.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 19:24   #19
Marine Service Provider

wish you good luck
SLP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 22:13   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
Somebody works at the marina. Flip 'em a $50, or whatever seems right to you, and tell them that if they can keep an eye on the boat for you and call you if there's any problem, you'll be appreciative.

Amazing how that can work.

I will second the motion there. Make some friends, ask around, check the history of that location and prevention is the key. A fifty is reasonable and an occasional gift card helps too...
Wait a minute... aren't you guys harbor masters???
Old 06-04-2016, 22:49   #21

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey2 View Post
I leave the humidifier running...
Humidifier? Maybe a de-humidifier? I have never found lack of humidity a problem on any boat.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:19   #22

Boat: Catalina 400

We live 3 hours from our boat, so this is kind of our regular life.

Good advice above, I think the most helpful in our case has been tipping the dock master $50-100. We also leave a heater plugged in on low when freezing temps are possible.

There is probably a mobile boat-tech or mechanic in your area; ours does a yacht-check service for $50/month. Starts engine, checks bilges, shore power connections, dock lines and battery charging.

Plus, we will occasionally pay the marina to do some services that we might normally do ourselves, like wash/wax or brightwork. Amazing how much they look after our boat when we are more than just slip-sters.

Enjoy your new boat!
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:55   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I highly recommend Boat Command https://boatcommand.com/ whether it's at a local marina or far away. Uses the Cellular network to connect with your smartphone. Monitor motion (inside the boat, like if someone opens a hatch), set alerts for bilge pumps (2) for duration "on" and number of cycles per day, battery voltage, boat movement (GPS anchor alarm) and more. Set thresholds for alerts or view history at will. See your boat position on a satellite view map at any time. The annual cost is insignificant (I don't remember, maybe $10 or $25/year? Contact them to be sure).

It's a nice family business. I have no connection to them except as a very happy customer.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 19:13   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

$50 might get you a very happy launch driver or a motivated dock master, but harbor masters are a tad more expensive.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 19:35   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Will it be registered in the State where you are leaving it?

Check into tax and registration laws of the respective States. Vary a lot by State, but in some they will come after you for sales tax on a boat not registered in the State and there over a certain length of time (Texas for example).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:54   #26

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I highly recommend Boat Command https://boatcommand.com/ whether it's at a local marina or far away. Uses the Cellular network to connect with your smartphone. Monitor motion (inside the boat, like if someone opens a hatch), set alerts for bilge pumps (2) for duration "on" and number of cycles per day, battery voltage, boat movement (GPS anchor alarm) and more. Set thresholds for alerts or view history at will. See your boat position on a satellite view map at any time. The annual cost is insignificant (I don't remember, maybe $10 or $25/year? Contact them to be sure).
Nice looking setup, might have to look into it... only catch on this is then you really want to know someone who can physically check on your boat... I can't imagine much worse than having the "bilge alarm alert" arrive on my phone and not have anyone I can call to physically check on it...
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote