Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 22:06   #16

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Legal status of ship master

It is not an issue to anyone why It is You on board, in which capacity, etc.

All they need, around, is that there is a captain with valid nautical licence.

Whether you are actual owner, or have stolen boat,... is not of concern, unless they want to check for your fiscal status in your own country
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 23:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

What is this nautical licence of which you speak?

I've never had anyone ask for one.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 23:26   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Thunderbird ......
I have never been asked (except by insurance companies) for any qualification certificates. There is certainly no requirement under the flag that I use. Im not sure where a nautical licence is required?
In some harbours the harbour captain may required you to undertake a local licence if you wish to repeatedly enter/depart on a regular basis but even that I have onlycome across once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
It is not an issue to anyone why It is You on board, in which capacity, etc.

All they need, around, is that there is a captain with valid nautical licence.

Whether you are actual owner, or have stolen boat,... is not of concern, unless they want to check for your fiscal status in your own country
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 00:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
That's right Paul. Real 3rd world mentality, but stamps, seals and signatures on all sorts of BS documents have gotten me through a lot of gov't hassles in Syria, the Middle East and India.

Europe isn't much different
Neither is the USA.... The "3rd World" as you put it is not the only place where "BS documents" gets you passed the "3rd world mentality".
I once was transporting a gas turbine engine from Canada to the USA and was stopped at the border when the radiation alarms went off. The inlet housing on the engine was made of thoriated magnesium and was putting out enough radiation to be detected. They wouldn't allow me across the border and turned me around stating I had no permission or authority to transport nuclear material.

An email to the nuclear regulatory department and reply later and I wrote myself a letter as the owner of my company. Signed it. Scanned it. Sent it to my office and had my wife put our company stamp on it and drove back to the border where... I'm assuming you will agree... The "3rd world mentality" of the border guard was duly impressed and it got me where I wanted to go.

Perhaps a bit more gently with the use of terms that will offend. Not your intention I am sure as we all seem to love these out of the way places for the very fact that they ARE using old world technology and don't have the latest dell on the desk and still deal with paper and typewriters and use an abacus.

I think we can all agree beurocrats the world over love a good stamp... Not just "3rd world".

Anyhow... We are new here and not looking to argue... just wanted to point out that in a public forum... One should be ever aware of how comments are perceived by a global population.

Or maybe I'm just overly Canadian in not wanting to offend anyone...

Aaaaannnnnnyhow

I'll shut up now.....
Old 15-08-2016, 02:53   #20

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Sirs, I may have used an inappropriate term with "nautical licence"

I meant the personal qualification entitling you (captain, yachtmaster) to take the boat around, according to your nationality, as being usually issued by your home state.

Without which, insurance coverage would not work!

It is a licence (like a driving licence) for navigation. " Patente nautica"

Sorry for confusion

Authorities want to see a boat both insured and in the hands of someone with that capacity. Only in Italy, a country with medieval fiscal oppression, they may ask you WHY you are on board. In that case, a letter from ownership is useful, with a BIG STAMP :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 05:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Sirs, I may have used an inappropriate term with "nautical licence"

I meant the personal qualification entitling you (captain, yachtmaster) to take the boat around, according to your nationality, as being usually issued by your home state.

Without which, insurance coverage would not work!

It is a licence (like a driving licence) for navigation. " Patente nautica"

Sorry for confusion

Authorities want to see a boat both insured and in the hands of someone with that capacity. Only in Italy, a country with medieval fiscal oppression, they may ask you WHY you are on board. In that case, a letter from ownership is useful, with a BIG STAMP :-)
Nope, never had one of those. And I've never had problems taking a boat around - never been asked for one; and my insurance company are happy to comprehensively insure my boat, including international voyages, without any such "licence".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 08:52   #22

Quote:
Funny that you say that, because I'm not so concerned about sailing into the eurozone as I am about entering my own country of Italy. If anything can go wrong with the bureaucracy, it is there
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 13:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Nope, never had one of those. And I've never had problems taking a boat around - never been asked for one; and my insurance company are happy to comprehensively insure my boat, including international voyages, without any such "licence".

That's because your boat is under 15 meters, so there is no requirement, but 15-24 meters there is a requirement.

and over 24 meters there is demand for a higher license
Nordboen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, mast