Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 07:58   #16
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Few cruisers have a big enough kitty to pay someone else cash to do something they think they can do, and they usually can get a lot of help for a beer or two, or a fresh caught lobster!

So it seems if you want to work while you're cruising, you have to bring it with you.
Agreed, cruising sailors are certainly not my market... you all are a bunch of cheap #$*U%$#'s! ha ha ha

But it's true. You're absolutely right. I can only work in major yachting centers doing what I am doing.

If anybody knows a major yachting center where it's warm, where you can anchor in the same area as the yachts, and that accepts US and EU citizens setting up small businesses, by all means... do tell!

That's why I lean toward Valencia, Pallma De Mallorca, etc...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31   #17

Sean,

Consider the Canaries. Lots of harbours, marinas and lots of warmth 12 months a year. Unless you are offering some special skills you are unlikely to become a millionaire in the yachting business, but you will earn your keep and have some fun and a pleasant environment while doing so.

As an Irish, and therefore an EU, citizen, you are entitled to work anywhere you like in Europe (EU). The American aspect of things in this regard is irrelevant in Europe, but may be of some benefit in the Caribbean. If you come to Europe, use your Irish passport. Not because of any political reasons, but simply because the Irish passport makes you "local" over here, and gives you rights as an EU citizen. That said, we Irish figure the world is our oyster anyway, and behave accordingly.

If you want any detailed info, you are welcome to pm me.

Slan go foill,

kesey
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21   #18

Grenada, Cartagena, and Panama are also Caribbean hurricane holes. I don't know anything about work permits, etc. But, the guy to contact in Cartagena is a fellow named Lee Miles at:

Colombian-American Chamber of Commerce -Cartagena
Edificio Banco de Colombia, Of. 500
Apdo. A‚reo 20483
Cartagena, Colombia
Phone: 575-365-7724
FAX: 575-365-1704
E-mail: director@amchamcartagena.org

I've never met him but 6 years ago we were told he was a sailboat owner, very cruiser oriented, knows everything and everyone, etc.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 13:49   #19
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am local in Cartagena in case you need additional information ssullivan

Regards,
Old 12-07-2008, 15:07   #20

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
then Bergen County, NJ took me for $60K on a project. My mistake on not being thorough on paperwork
Yep, have had similar probs. I think as you get older then at some point someone's gonna screw you with money big time. Like all bizo's, you need to build up $$$ "reserves" & always look at other ways of making $$$.

Quote:
and for trusting people.
Yep, had this prob too. Trusted the wrong type of people once ("sharks") & lost a lot of $$$. Also, the amount of $$$ spent on accountants & lawyers who screw things up is just criminal, it pays to spend a bit of time learning how things work on that side of the fence, at least that way you will smell "poo poo" before it hits you in the face.

Quote:
Live and learn.
Very true my friend.
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 15:14   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Air View Post
I am local in Cartagena in case you need additional information ssullivan

Regards,
Gracias, Soft Air. Tengo que pensar... pero es posible...
Old 13-07-2008, 14:30   #22

Boat: Looking with intent
Sean,

Please IM me and will go over this in detail with you as I am a EU citizen with US as well and have lived in more than one EU country and have dealt with two others in looking to moving to them at different times. There is paperwork but it can be over come.

I am not going to publish this on the board as it is many many hours of work on our part and I am not in the mood to have those who haven't done it tell me they know better. One item I can tell you is that the out lying zones of the EU (those not directly within the main zones of the EU) can have some interesting paperwork. The Headache level goes as this; Worse is anything Dutch (this is being addressed by Brussels at the moment), Next is certain British protectorates that have the same problem the UK has (the UK is the most sued member of the EU for violating the general directive against other EU citizens living in the UK), Next is the French (they will have their paperwork done and do require some ability to speak French [go figure]), Least Headache are certain other British Protectorates who are very laid back and helpful.

I will be more than glad to help you with getting the VAT (if needed) and other paperwork done for health care and banking and such over here or in any EU area if you have not already done so. There is no fee as long as you don't ask me to do the leg work which is costly these days with Petroleum at £1.30/litre (diesel is higher).

Take care and best wishes.

Michael
Old 13-07-2008, 14:52   #23
cruiser

That is *very* VERY kind of you Michael. Thank you. I will take you up on some coaching, but not on any paperwork... that's just too much to ask.

We are looking into our move carefully because I am setting up a autonomo or sole proprietor type business wherever we end up.

I am currently making a living doing marine consulting (a little sailing instruction) and marine repair work. I will be continuing this in whatever location we go to .

Again, thank you for the offer of help in navigating the paperwork. I appreciate the immediate breakdown above of the "spectrum" of difficulty associated with each country.

We are hard at work on this end trying to get things lined up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroeurope View Post
Sean,

Please IM me and will go over this in detail with you as I am a EU citizen with US as well and have lived in more than one EU country and have dealt with two others in looking to moving to them at different times. There is paperwork but it can be over come.

I am not going to publish this on the board as it is many many hours of work on our part and I am not in the mood to have those who haven't done it tell me they know better. One item I can tell you is that the out lying zones of the EU (those not directly within the main zones of the EU) can have some interesting paperwork. The Headache level goes as this; Worse is anything Dutch (this is being addressed by Brussels at the moment), Next is certain British protectorates that have the same problem the UK has (the UK is the most sued member of the EU for violating the general directive against other EU citizens living in the UK), Next is the French (they will have their paperwork done and do require some ability to speak French [go figure]), Least Headache are certain other British Protectorates who are very laid back and helpful.

I will be more than glad to help you with getting the VAT (if needed) and other paperwork done for health care and banking and such over here or in any EU area if you have not already done so. There is no fee as long as you don't ask me to do the leg work which is costly these days with Petroleum at £1.30/litre (diesel is higher).

Take care and best wishes.

Michael
Old 13-07-2008, 15:12   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by w42 View Post
I believe it use to be that, if you were a citizen of the British Commonwealth, you were afforded certain privs in other commonwealth states. They varied but employment might have been one of them.

I dont know what the state of the commonwealth is now given the rise of the EU. Perhaps some of the Aussies and Kiwis would know?

?
As a citizen on a commonwealth country (Canada) I can tell you it is meaningless nowadays and has been that way for at least 40 years or so.
Old 13-07-2008, 17:43   #25
jzk

Get a canvas sewing machine and assorted canvas tools, sail to West Palm Beach, and start making canvas for the rich folk. People are paying a pretty penny down there for canvas work. You can anchor for free in Lake Worth. Give your card to every yacht broker you can find and promise them a taste of the gate. Often times the first thing people do when buying a new powerboat is get new canvas.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 19:43   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
...you are unlikely to become a millionaire in the yachting business...
It's easy to become an millionaire in the yachting business.

You just need to start with several million.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean