Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 19:46   #16

Re: Liveaboard marinas in the Florida keys

We both have sales and management backgrounds, but I'm not going to start looking until we get down there. Every company I've applied to wants someone already living in the keys. Our overhead will be low though, so we have time to find jobs. And if things don't work out we can take the boat and move. I'm looking forward to the challenge!
Dawn0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 20:01   #17

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

You may consider Stock Island in Key West for a slip and taking people to the Dry Tortugas or Cuba for income. Since you have marketing backgrounds I am sure you can think of a way to do this. Once in Cuba, have your guests stay at the Hemingway Marina Hotel or in a B&B in Havana, and you stay on the boat until the return trip. Folks are paying big money to go.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 20:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfportBarb View Post
You may consider Stock Island in Key West for a slip and taking people to the Dry Tortugas or Cuba for income. Since you have marketing backgrounds I am sure you can think of a way to do this. Once in Cuba, have your guests stay at the Hemingway Marina Hotel or in a B&B in Havana, and you stay on the boat until the return trip. Folks are paying big money to go.
That's a good idea! And the good thing is, my husband is bilingual! Thank you so much!
Dawn0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:04   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfportBarb View Post
This might be kind of complicated to pull off. For one thing tourist travel to Cuba is still illegal. For cruises to the Dry Tortugas you'll need to be at a commercial dock & have commercial insurance. I'm not sure if you'd need to be licensed but I'd want to incorporate if I was going that route just to limit liability. If you are thinking about doing something like this I'd consider buying a schooner or a cat. Either way using a liveaboard for something like this would be problematic at best.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 13:29   #20

Can you be more specific as to what kind of work you're looking for? Are you semi-retired and looking for part time jobs? Or are you trying to find full-time career oriented jobs?
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 14:08   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn0506 View Post
That's a good idea! And the good thing is, my husband is bilingual! Thank you so much!
I believe insurance might be an expensive issue?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 04:57   #22

Looking...Liveaboard marinas in the Florida keys

Been awhile....years since last liveaboard in the Keys. Times change, people move on, marinas evolve or not and now...returning. Been in Tampa for eons. Liveaboard powerboat.
In Key Largo area now.
Yes, we can drive and talk with the DockMaster's face to face at various marinas but reaching out here first.
We use a jet ski for dingy, 50 foot powerboat. Want to be in the middle area....Marathon area perhaps.
Looking for a liveaboard slip. Long term. Now at anchor...not a mooring field. We just raise the anchor and move around...drop at sunset...
Any leads...liveaboards slips..Marathon area? Reasonably priced. I know, none are reasonable...want to be under $800 a month with water/power...
Thank you in advance...
benica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 06:26   #23

You will NOT find a slip in the Keys for less than 1K per month, and especially not in winter
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 06:31   #24

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

50 ft/ under $ 800? You would be lucky to find anything for twice that.
You might call Burdines in Marathon for current prices.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 07:59   #25

Boat: EDELCAT33
Liveaboard marinas in the Florida keys

If I read your original post, you have not purchase a boat but looking for 30 to 35 ft boat. If this is correct, full live aboard a small boat is a huge adjustment, akin to renting a room at a Motel6 without air condition. It could be liberating to do away with most of your possessions, or it could be traumatic.
Since you have not purchased your boat yet, this could be an advantage to find one for sale that would allow you to keep the slip contract. If you are unable to afford the high fees, then mooring is a great option as long as you are ok with living basic, daily use of a dinghy to get anywhere, and logistics of everyday life.

The keys are very different than St Pete in terms of mobility, access to comfort infrastructure, and most definitely personality types that you will have to deal with. If you are unable to find jobs in St Pete, the keys will be even harder unless you feel comfortable with joining the hospitality industry.

Before you put all your eggs on a basket, if possible rent a 30 ft sailboat for two weeks in the keys, and do go NOT go out. Just live on it for two weeks and see how you like it.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 04:12   #26

Thank you for all the replies!
We lucked out apparently...slip offered...Keys and a decent price we've been told; $950 a month plus water/electric. Prices are..ridiculous for...parking a boat...but it is what it is.
Fresh water maker being installed Thursday. Solar panels and 12V 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Bluetooth.
We'll be basically self sufficient then. The liveaboard slip just makes it more convenient and easier access to our car when needed vs dinghy to shore...
Safe boating all.
benica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, florida keys, liveaboard, marinas