Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 08:44   #16

Boat: Various
Re: Living in Colorado and keeping a boat on the Florida coast

South Florida all the way. From Fort Pierce to Key West. I'd pick an area with a great commute to Colorado and with marine services. Dockage will cost a bit more in South Florida (which is really SE Florida, east coast) but all marine services available, short distances to Bahamas. Places like Marathon have huge appeal but your commute requires a nice drive after you land. You add auto expense. You could be in Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, West Palm and have no need for a car.

If within your budget, I'd definitely use a yacht management company. Nice to have someone to check on your boat and someone to make sure it's ready when you arrive for you to get aboard and take off.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:44   #17

I lived in the Florida keys from 1969 'til '88. Over the years I've moved a number of boats (power and sail) up and down the eastern seaboard. If your pocketbook can bear the hit, keep your boat somewher in the keys from about Thanksgiving through April/May then head north to Maine. IMHO that will provide maximum utilization of the boat with no really challenging passages. The keys might not be the ultimate tropical cruising grounds, but it's pretty doggone nice. Maine in August is usually real fine.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:48   #18

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Other issues aside, rather than looking (and paying) for a "service" to look after your boat, cultivate some friendships with locals - preferably liveaboards - in the marina you choose. They will certainly cost you a lot less and likely be "there" more than that guy you pay to look in on your boat from time to time.

We've found a couple of reliable locals who have shown us the waters since we're new to the area. They're scouted out better and less expensive slips for us, and helped us troubleshoot a few mechanical problems. All but the time we insisted on paying him for was all gratis and cost no more than a beer and being neighborly.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:22   #19

Boat: Island Packet 350

I am a snowbird from Oregon. I keep my boat in the Palmetto Bradenton Area on Florida's West Coast, not far from Tampa. I prefer the sailing opportunities on the West Coast over Florida's East Coast. I've left my boat for weeks at a time with the marina and Friends keeping an eye on it during the winter months. It's the summer hurricane season you need to be concerned about. Most insurance companies require a good storm hurricane plan. If you have one in place you probably will be fine
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:41   #20

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
I respect greatly the advice you've received, and I envy your freedom enough to comment in the alternative anyway... The Admiral and I live in Thornton, Colorado, but bought our retirement home on the West Coast of Florida (Gulf Harbors/New Port Richey). There were, and still are many, many bargains (compared to the Denver market) to be found in Florida, on deep-water canals with Gulf or ICW access. I would recommend looking to buy a home down there that you can rent by the month to snowbirds (like we do), use yourself when you want a home base, and have a "free" dock to use as you wish. We have a lift for our fishing boat and a floating dock for our sailboat...I've tried to figure out how to manipulate it to add a trawler, too!!! If your goal is simply to be on the warm, fish-filled waters of Florida...what a plan!! We found a gentleman in our neighborhood to scrape the bottom monthly and he is an amazing steward, changing zincs and keeping us informed of her status, too. Add in retired neighbors who all own arsenals, and we could leave the boats for years with no worries.

Whatever you decide, I hope to see you on the water. Heck, come up to our slip at Carter Lake and sail with us...we love boats and boaters!!
Interesting idea. While it's not feasible in Fort Lauderdale, it's quite feasible in Pompano Beach. I know many who do it. Waterfront, some even ICW. 80-90 ft frontage. Rent them through VRBO with a local manager. No problem even renting two weeks a month. Homes are more expensive in Pompano than on the west coast but rentals are higher too and dockage worth far more.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:48   #21

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

I live in Phoenix, AZ, my boat is in San Diego, CA approximately 370 miles away. And I think that is too far! SW Airlines can fly me to my boat in 45 minutes - driving is 6 hours.
My insurance company requires that I have a boat watcher in San Diego in case of emergency. But the real downside of being an out of town owner is after a few years, I've been doing this for 12, you don't go down to the boat as originally planned. Two weeks a month? In a couple of years - it probable will be a week or a weekend . And I just can't tell you how many mornings I wake up and think boy would I love to go down to the boat and just putz around, you know check everything out, read the paper - relax - etc. You can't do that when you're too far away.
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:54   #22

Boat: Island Packet 350

Rick D'Amico raises an excellent point. I have several friends who have bought vacation homes several hours away from their primary residence and after a couple years rarely use their vacation homes. Most have put them up for sale.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:55   #23

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Interesting idea. While it's not feasible in Fort Lauderdale, it's quite feasible in Pompano Beach. I know many who do it. Waterfront, some even ICW. 80-90 ft frontage. Rent them through VRBO with a local manager. No problem even renting two weeks a month. Homes are more expensive in Pompano than on the west coast but rentals are higher too and dockage worth far more.

VRBO and AirBnB have been tremendous for us. We have been very fortunate to have repeat guests for a month at a time January through April. Not being able to visit the home is its only drawback, and a great problem to have...not to mention we just liveaboard on the hook when the house is rented (miss the pool, though).

If anyone wants details we're happy to discuss.

We are looking to repeat the investment so I appreciate you mentioning Pompano. We are currently north of Tampa but Ft, Myers (at the ICW entrance to the Okeechobee Canal) is intriguing.

Many thanks to Robert Kiyosaki.
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:55   #24

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

We keep a 42' sailboat in St. Petersburg, & have our home in Ohio. We stay on the boat in the wintertime. During the hot summer months we are not there, but we hire a "professional" boat-watcher who lives on his boat & checks our baby weekly or as needed. We picked the west coast of FLA 'cause we think it is a bit safer with regards to tropical storms. Knock on wood! We see a lot of boats there with owners from out-of-state.
jmadenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:57   #25

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman7225 View Post
Rick D'Amico raises an excellent point. I have several friends who have bought vacation homes several hours away from their primary residence and after a couple years rarely use their vacation homes. Most have put them up for sale.

Please let me know where they are!!

We just booked to tickets to Tampa, round trip from Denver, for $180 total!!! That three hour flight never seems tough when the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow.

The point for the OP? Ensure you find a place near an international airport!
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:03   #26

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

Good point about the marina and the airport. My marina is across the street from the San Diego Airport. I can get off the plane and walk to my boat in about 15 minutes. Also another bit of advise: I use the South West Airlines Credit card for every purchase I can possibly make....earning free flights. My wife has a companion pass, she flies for free, anywhere I fly. So the cost of travel is not really an issue, it's just that I'm here and my boat is there.
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:10   #27

Two weeks a month is nice but a bit tough if you are in Colorado.
-2 days flight time (there and back)
-1 day clean up, fuel and prep for the boat etc.
So a lot of flying back and forth. Too bad you cant stack the 2 week trips and go less often. Then the Bahamas are an option.

There are plenty of places, but Florida seems limited on good cruising unless you are near the Keys or a few other places.
Plenty of places to get moorage, but takes time to get to anywhere nice to cruise from them. So I guess maybe Keys or western Fl maybe?
How about keeping the boat in Nassau Bahamas?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:10   #28

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Why not keep it here in the Bahamas? Much better cruising. Many spots to choose from. Only an hours flight from Miami, Ft Lauderdale, or West Palm.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:18   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I also live in Colorado and keep a boat in the Sea Of Cortez. The person I have looking after her makes sure to open her up once a week to get some airflow through the interior and cool things down. While mold is not as much of a concern where I am due to the low humidity, that is obviously not the case in Florida. Make sure that whoever you get to look after your boat opens her up on a regular basis.
berferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:29   #30

Good afternoon.
Chapman School of Seamanship, in Stuart Florida, is the place for training.
Get your ASA101, ASA103, and ASA104 ratings.
The place to keep your boat is at Harbortown Marina. I sail on a Morgan Out Island 41' there.
I know a person who may be willing to talk about caring for your vessel.
If you like, you can contact me at conchaway3@hughes.net.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida