Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2021, 10:51   #1

Looking for advice/adventure

I’m 48 y/o recently divorced and all my children are older. I bought myself a two family house after my divorce so technically I live in an apartment. I’ve come to find all I am getting bored. All I seam to do is work I don’t feel like I’m living anymore. I have always dreamed of living on a sailboat and just sailing around to new places. I’ve never sailed before. When I was younger and had no real responsibility I traveled a lot mostly by car or bike but now that I’m older I want something new.
I’m thinking of purchasing a smaller catamaran and sailing around now that I have no real responsibility again I’m just a lot older now. Are there any suggestions other than learning to sail?
I know I’m not young but I’m in decent shape, I don’t mind the solitude at all and can live a very simple life. I guess I’m just looking for feedback as all my friends and family just think I should just keep doing what I’m doing which in all honesty is nothing.
coahar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 11:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for advice/adventure

I am assuming your based in the US so your priorities and basic needs are likely to be different from a European adventurer.. Either of these could do you just fine if your budget can meet the prices.

https://www.multihullcompany.com/boa...?catid=7513550

https://www.multihullcompany.com/boa...?catid=7864218

Personally for me the 30ft Maine Cat would be ideal for scooting round Florida and the Caribe.

Mind you this Banshee in California for half the price of the Maine looks pretty damn good... Mexico or the Caribe..

https://www.multihullcompany.com/boa...?catid=7864218

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 11:37   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Looking for advice/adventure

To the OP, I would listen to Boatman (above post) I’ve learned from reading his posts.

I have empathy for your situation as we are close in age. You didn’t mention if you have any previous boat experience wether it be a canoe or powerboat.

My thoughts for you drift right into getting something cheap and small 20 - 25 foot and mess around with it. I bought a 30 foot sailboat years ago and didn’t know anything about sailing. I sat at the marina on my sailboat and asked everyone who walked by if they would teach me how to sail. After asking 30-40 or people I found a few people who went out with me and showed me. Everything is history now.

Why I say start with something cheap and small. It’s because in your first sailboat your really not going to know what you really want in a sailboat until you actually own one and get to know it. Once you get to know sailing and what you want in sailboat you will be ready for a substantial purchase.

Good luck buddy.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 13:57   #4

I have a little boating experience none sailing or any distanced. I also grew up on the ocean in northern mass and southern NH. I like the openness and stability of the cats. I’m good with my hands so maintenance doesn’t scare me. I guess some of my concerns are financial. Are there ways to make money other than online? I’m not rich I’m a working man
Old 22-07-2021, 14:36   #5

Before risking the whole bankroll, you could always try something like Sailing Opportunities: https://www.sailopo.com/h1.aspx?rd=1

The guy who owns it (Hank, I think?) arranges offshore delivery passages and crews the boats with people who sign up through his website (I think that's how it works).

One of the Forum Members did a passage from St. Martin to Newport, RI in June and absolutely loved it (now he's confidently boat-shopping).

Feel free to PM me and I'll put you in touch with him.

Oh, and update your profile with your location, will you please?
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 15:06   #6

Ok I updated my information
Old 22-07-2021, 17:30   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I'm only one year younger than you and I can tell you I'm so much happier aboard. But make sure it's what you want before committing your savings.
My friends and family all thought I was crazy too. But now they love the pictures and updates on our adventure. It's a big step that not many people are comfortable taking.
Get out sailing any way you can. Crew, rail meat for racers, bring a 6pack to a marina and beg a ride! Get out there and learn.
Small cats can be financially easier, but older model bigger(37 foot and up) can be a decent price too.
Good luck, I hope you can make it work!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice