Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 04:25   #1546

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
if you are setting in one spot working while living on your boat, are you actually cruising.. Many people including myself have taken off for periods of time to build the kitty so we can travel again, but to take a position where you are locked into one area while you work, not sure if that would be concidered cruising..
And if thats the case, you are not making money while cruising.. you're living on your boat and working..........
5 year old but just felt the need to quote...
freegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 08:59   #1547
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Maby Matt Walsh can make a Documentary:

"What is a Cruiser"

No doubt it would be just as controversial as his last.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:52   #1548

Teaching English online is doable but pay is pretty poor usually and you need good Internet

If you do the conversational stuff on sites like Cambly, you'll find that students only want conversation practise rather than lessons on verb conjugation etc
PirateBarnabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 16:57   #1549

Best strategy I found so far is to find places near my route that pay well for my trade and I make long stops at these places, working and saving up before I move on.
ErikSVSirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 17:12   #1550
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

My girlfriend of the time used to make jewelry from conch feet. I'd dive for the conch, and after removing the conch meat, she would collect the conch feet....that elongated nail conch use to move around the seabed.

She'd paint some or other palm tree or fish, etc. on it and drill a small hole at one end. These would be attached to earrings, of which she had a whole collection. gold and silver plated.

Whenever we went to an area bar, she'd take along a display case with these earrings. Maybe a dozen or so. She'd sell all of them in a matter of minutes to various and sundry woman at the bar. Did really well with it.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:27   #1551

Boat: Lancer, 43'

Been off the water way too long. Want to get back, and this thread popped up in a search for ways to do so.

Back in the 1980s, I made marlinspike handcrafts underway and sold them to whomever. I also wrote articles for various magazines and newspapers.
Hula Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:31   #1552

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
A couple of fellows brought a million bucks worth of cocaine into Port Hardy on a sailboat recently. I learned about it second hand of course ... maybe that was third hand, yes, smugglers one, police two, CBC radio three. At the time I wondered about the choice of vessel, "Quick, haul on that sheet. If we get another 1/4 knot out of her we might have a chance of out running them!" Hmmm ... I guess if it had have worked their sailing kitty would have been pretty sweet. Of course if they were sampling on route that jouney must have seemed awfully long. "Can't this thing go any faster ... look the dolphin just passed us! Hey, is that a camera floating on the wave. What you mean paranoid?"
I knew a girl that 'delivered packages' to make extra money. She was the police chiefs daughter and drove an old truck. I asked her why she would risk moving drugs. Her reply was legendary "I have no idea what is in the box, could be drugs, or could be a finger. They don't pay me to be curious." She never got caught but stopped when she got pregnant with her first child. She banked enough to send all 3 of her children to college.
Ancient Dream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle