Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 17:52   #286

Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I tattoo and pierce for a living. Own my own 4000 square foot studio 12 plus years. I own a semi and trailer I can work conventions.

I reckon a person could make a good living going from port to port and making a regular circle where people would get used to seeing you.

I bet that would work. A person would need all disposables as cleaning equipment on board would be difficult . The lack of space going from 4000 square feet would kill me. I need room to move and have stuff around me. However I know artists that work out of carry on luggage and checked luggage so I know there is enough room on a boat. Good artists make $100 to $350 an hour. Many places require a licence. Might be required to go out to International waters. Lol
I'll join in on the reviving of an old thread...

Am I the only one who thinks getting a tattoo or piercing in a rocking boat is a bad idea?
mr_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 18:09   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
Am I the only one who thinks getting a tattoo or piercing in a rocking boat is a bad idea?
Well, there's probably a reason why both tattooing and multihulls came out of the Pacific...
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 19:05   #288
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
I'll join in on the reviving of an old thread...

Its not only a bad idea on a boat its a bad idea overall ...think about the "good ' folks that get one on their arms or neck or anywhere you can see it ...the powers that be dont need to know your name or the color of your eyes ..all they need to know is : well I dont remember much sir but, I did see that he had MOM on his right arm and a swastika on his neck..case solved...oh yea he and she had a crappy jig in their nose and I think they had one of those ball bearings in their tongue too..very unmistakeable sir ...its like they were advertising how dumb they were...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 02:47   #289

Let's say I might buy a 38ft catamaran in the tropics (late -80 model). I don't have very much money left after a refit, so I need to make some money. I might have 3-6k left after the refit.

The "easiest way" seems to be running some charter or having paying crew. My question is....Is it hard to find these "customers". It's not that I would do it to get rich...but to at least make a living. So if it could generate 1.5-2k/month to pay for food, maintenance, diesel etc, it would be great. I would prob. not having the boat in a marina (more on a buoy and anchor)

Would it be easiest to find these paying people on spot....or on Internet?

Lets say I would have 2-3 paying crew on the boat paying 30 USD/day. 60-90 USD/day. That would be 1.8-2.7k per month.

Doing charter. Lets say it would cost 2-3k for one week. Food and diesel excluded it would give me about 1.5-2.5k. A little bit more hard work but better paying. Doing one charter per month would generate "enough"

Would it be easier to find paying crew for longer trips (like circumnavigation route), compared to local routes/islands?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 02:56   #290

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Build floating condos for others and rent them out?
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 06:37   #291

Boat: Albin Vega 27
And have a property manager that takes care of all the repairs.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 06:54   #292

I have heard of some folks who have a "boat and breakfast." Stay somewhere on the hard, leave the boat at anchor, and bring out meals and serve as a water-taxi to the renters. Take the renters on daysails if they like, but the boat pretty much stays on the hook and folks just take a bit of va-cay on your boat.

Oh yeah, just remembered:
don't laugh, but you can sell Avon products. I purchase Avon stuff from my friend who lives a state away. She has a website (via Avon). I purchase online, and Avon does the shipping, sort of a drop-ship arrangement, I guess you could say. I suppose you could do something similar with other stuff if you can get help doing the shipping.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 07:56   #293
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Let's say I might buy a 38ft catamaran in the tropics (late -80 model). I don't have very much money left after a refit, so I need to make some money. I might have 3-6k left after the refit.

The "easiest way" seems to be running some charter or having paying crew. My question is....Is it hard to find these "customers". It's not that I would do it to get rich...but to at least make a living. So if it could generate 1.5-2k/month to pay for food, maintenance, diesel etc, it would be great. I would prob. not having the boat in a marina (more on a buoy and anchor)

Would it be easiest to find these paying people on spot....or on Internet?

Lets say I would have 2-3 paying crew on the boat paying 30 USD/day. 60-90 USD/day. That would be 1.8-2.7k per month.

Doing charter. Lets say it would cost 2-3k for one week. Food and diesel excluded it would give me about 1.5-2.5k. A little bit more hard work but better paying. Doing one charter per month would generate "enough"

Would it be easier to find paying crew for longer trips (like circumnavigation route), compared to local routes/islands?
lots of people do it illegally,under the radar,with out any insurance,just set up a web page,get yourself a sexy young hostess as crew bait,check their bags for drugs when they come aboard and keep moving,as you will very quickly get a rep if you stay in one area.....................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 11:51   #294
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

My ultimate goal is to have my High end laptop and my QNAP NAS on my cascade 36.

Would continue my consulting services in engineering, IT, computer maintenance, and web pages. The laptop will run solidworks, and the QNAP server would be my storage device. Of course the server would only run at times when 110 volt is accessible.
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 11:55   #295
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
My ultimate goal is to have my High end laptop and my QNAP NAS on my cascade 36.

Would continue my consulting services in engineering, IT, computer maintenance, and web pages. The laptop will run solidworks, and the QNAP server would be my storage device. Of course the server would only run at times when 110 volt is accessible.
couldnt you put the QNAPserver in a cloud with a high speed link?
Old 19-01-2012, 12:00   #296
Marine Service Provider

Yes I could but I like to physically have my stuff in my possession. That is the whole reason I started using QNAP's about 7 years ago. My personal wordpress web page that serves my domain mackconsult.com runs off my personal QNAP nas. They have been rock solid and never failed me. The drives are encrypted and all backups that occurr of the QNAP are encrypted also.

If I go cruising I would use a backup routine and probably a cloud backup service. The wordpress blog would be migrated to a hosting service while cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
couldnt you put the QNAPserver in a cloud with a high speed link?
Old 19-01-2012, 12:12   #297
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

you may need a bigger boat!though 110v is not that difficult to accomplish on a small one,though sat comms for a basic system runs at about$1000-1500 a month depending on thruput.,see immarsat
Old 19-01-2012, 12:33   #298
Marine Service Provider

Bigger boat??? Why would that be???? My QNAP NAS is 6 x 4 x 9 inches .... it has 4 terabytes of capacity and has everything on it. Including movies, music, pictures, consulting, etc ....

Can easily be carried to the local internet cafe or a hotel room. I would make sure that an entire backup is done while being on broadband, then only partial (things that have changed) would need to be backed up every now and then.

My backup is done via tape backup with encryption. I put tapes in multiple locations to ensure that I never loose the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you may need a bigger boat!though 110v is not that difficult to accomplish on a small one,though sat comms for a basic system runs at about$1000-1500 a month depending on thruput.,see immarsat
Old 19-01-2012, 12:42   #299
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Bigger boat??? Why would that be???? My QNAP NAS is 6 x 4 x 9 inches .... it has 4 terabytes of capacity and has everything on it. Including movies, music, pictures, consulting, etc ....

Can easily be carried to the local internet cafe or a hotel room. I would make sure that an entire backup is done while being on broadband, then only partial (things that have changed) would need to be backed up every now and then.

My backup is done via tape backup with encryption. I put tapes in multiple locations to ensure that I never loose the data.
not for the computer ya numpty!!!
for all the solar panels to charge the batteries,so you could run the thing 24/7,plus all the comms gear!
Old 19-01-2012, 12:44   #300
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mack, you're qnap will not require 110vac or shore power. At that size it is using an internal 5-volt or 12-volt power supply, most probably 5v, and ignoring the warranty issues it could easily be run off ship's power. Probably consuming as much as a car stereo, if that much. 4TB plus a controller and interface is nothing these days. Split off your entertainment files and your work files, and you can probably use just a single tb or 2tb USB drive during the workday, to cut the power even lower, down near just what a laptop needs. Although moving spindles of any kind are a terrible power waste, and with the price of ssd's ramoing down so nicely, you probably can get by without using hard drives for anything except archival "nearline" storage.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle