Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 12:48   #301

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post

My backup is done via tape backup with encryption. I put tapes in multiple locations to ensure that I never loose the data.
Why would you not go cloud based for backup. Last time my hard drive crashed (and yours will, just when, but you know that), I was back and running with access to all my important files in less than 1/2 hour on my new laptop.

I have found in the past that incompatibilities with new hardware versus old (think RAID systems and the need of matching hard drives), operating system changes and version control just was too frustrating.
Old 19-01-2012, 12:49   #302
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

I would only work/use laptop/NAS while in port on shore power. Probably would also carry one of those small generators.

And yes I would use SSD's as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not for the computer ya numpty!!!
for all the solar panels to charge the batteries,so you could run the thing 24/7,plus all the comms gear!
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 12:51   #303
Marine Service Provider

A QNAP is linux based. It treats the drives much better and they are mirrored, so even if there was a drive failure the data is fine.

BTW .... I have been working in IT for 12 years ...... what is the guarantee that your data is safe in a cloud env ......

Could it be accessed ..... could it be lost ....... Really what guarantee is there.

Even with all my backup processes at home I am only 99.7% sure that I would never loose anything ...... still that is way better than most poor folks out there with data residing on there Windows machine .....

!!!!!DATA IS KING!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Why would you not go cloud based for backup. Last time my hard drive crashed (and yours will, just when, but you know that), I was back and running with access to all my important files in less than 1/2 hour on my new laptop.

I have found in the past that incompatibilities with new hardware versus old (think RAID systems and the need of matching hard drives), operating system changes and version control just was too frustrating.
Old 19-01-2012, 13:00   #304
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

best thing about a cloud system on a boat is wheter tied to the dock or at sea it cant get wet!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 13:03   #305
Marine Service Provider

Understandable. That is why I will have backup processes in place. Its only hardware and can be fairly easily replaced.

As I mentioned I don't really trust the clouds. In fact the only way I would use it would be to tar and encrypt my data before putting it up.

I just worry about some one else getting there hands on it.

Quote:
best thing about a cloud system on a boat is wheter tied to the dock or at sea it cant get wet!
Old 19-01-2012, 13:19   #306

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
A QNAP is linux based. It treats the drives much better and they are mirrored, so even if there was a drive failure the data is fine.
Yup, been with linux for years now, although still need to dual boot to Windows as there are 2 specific programs I use that there is no linux equivalent available... too small a market I guess.

Quote:
BTW .... I have been working in IT for 12 years ...... what is the guarantee that your data is safe in a cloud env ......

Could it be accessed ..... could it be lost ....... Really what guarantee is there.
Yes, the beauty is that it can be accessed, and most services I know have a minimum of 128 encryption, with 256 being out there. I agree, encryption is a must.

To eliminate issues with outsiders accessing your data, a VPN virtually guarantees that no one is going to access it; first of all, they have to know about the VPN, and then they need to figure out how to get into it.

Quote:
Even with all my backup processes at home I am only 99.7% sure that I would never loose anything ...... still that is way better than most poor folks out there with data residing on there Windows machine .....
Still striving to hit the 4 nines, huh?

Quote:
Boy, isn't THAT the truth.

Quote:
Understandable. That is why I will have backup processes in place. Its only hardware and can be fairly easily replaced.

As I mentioned I don't really trust the clouds. In fact the only way I would use it would be to tar and encrypt my data before putting it up.

Again, consider VPN as your access, and the issue of security in the cloud becomes largely mute (yes, there always is a chance, I know).
Old 19-01-2012, 13:22   #307
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

lol in this day an age if it has ever been tramsmitted,other than in the snailmail,it is probably allready sitting in someones database.
Old 19-01-2012, 13:36   #308

"linux is free if you consider your time to be worthless"
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 21:46   #309
Marine Service Provider

That is only to be said for linux installations on "computers". The QNAP is a full fledged ubuntu solution that runs a GUI. It's pretty much plug and play.

I still use putty to access it because it is secure, quick, and very dependable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Old 19-01-2012, 21:52   #310

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Bill Gates quote?

Linux is pretty intuitive. I mean, think of the learning curve from XP to Win7 and that's about what Ubuntu 11.10 takes to get up to speed.
Old 19-01-2012, 21:57   #311

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Quote:
This may be the funniest thing I have ever read
Old 20-01-2012, 05:38   #312

Boat: N/A
Send a message via Skype™ to tmsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age View Post
Why not make a travel agency that charges people cost of food and expense plus a little bit extra to go on a vacation aboard any registered liveaboards with your company. Registered liveaboard teaches the client to sail (and charges the client), they cook for the client, they take them fishing, and drop them off at various islands to have fun. Gives them the experience of living aboard without having to buy a boat. You then have another component of the business that sells live aboard boats to the people 'sold' to the idea of living in one as well as giving them a discount if they participate as a free tour giver to attract new clients.

Can be marketed as a wild adventure that money cannot buy and targeted to middle aged people and college students who either are seeking adventure or lived a life without and are hitting a midlife crisis. You'll have a wide array of places to visit and could in theory provide a lot of business to people who live aboard.

It is personalized and has more freedom than a cruise boat because the client will eventually be able to sail it themselves and decide where they want to go. It can be pulled into a system that runs itself, and so many people who liveaboard who are starving will have a good source of income.

Hows that Agility?
This is a good idea but I think it's pretty much what Crewseekers does, not that there isn't room for competition. Definitely worth considering.
Old 20-01-2012, 06:10   #313

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Okay - guess who is not a tech geek? But what the hell language are you people speaking? Where's Bun-Bun when I need him?
Old 20-01-2012, 06:16   #314
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
Okay - guess who is not a tech geek? But what the hell language are you people speaking? Where's Bun-Bun when I need him?
and here's me thinking one goes sailing to get away from all that crap,and back to nature
Old 20-01-2012, 06:26   #315
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
But many people are able to sail off, get away, and get back to nature BECAUSE of the technology. If not for the geeky stuff, I'd probably be sitting at a desk overlooking some parking lot...
don't i know it the ocean's ,anchorages and marina's of the world are full of ijuts these days who otherwise wouldn't be there......................

Tags
paracelle