Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24   #421

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Looks like it's time to unsubscribe...
No man.

It is about cruising.

Old Chris started lots of cruising and the countries that followed, while proselytizing, made lots of money while cruising.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34   #422

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Sorry Micah, but don't you know that the god of the Bible is actually gods and they were aliens? You never read Francis Crick's paper on Directed Panspermia did you?

RT
PS And I bet you think I am being facetious?
Scientology is big on that.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10   #423
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

old chris was a follower--he followed he vikings, mon, and do not forget it... he was who decided to kill injuns and modify this world for catholicism. he did as queen of spain asked--go forth and make the world safe for catholics and steal all their gold.

she did use different language and syntax, however--same thought and philosophy. and mission.

as for working while cruising-- my worker bee i found who is an actual boatwright--is making his way on what he earns sneaking work. he does a good job and has sensible ideas. heck he has been doing this for awhile. is when discretion fails that stuff happens and the fan is involved.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:07   #424
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
There's no atheists in foxholes...
That's only true if you beleive it.

And to bring us back on topic...........

...........how about setting up own religion (I hear that Planet Kolob might not actually exist - I guess we find out in November ), or simply piggy backing onto someone else's (as many have done already).......a couple of hundred gullible numpties chipping into the pot every month and you would be out cruising forever a few thousand more and you could buy yourself a funny hat. and move to Rome .

Remember to open your mind - But not so much your brain falls out .........also applies to stuff other than buying boats.

YMMV.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 13:55   #425
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Scientology is big on that.
You are correct. However, Sitchen does a better job of explaining it. A true story concerning Scientology. Back in 1971 when I first came down to Florida my brother and I lived together. He was approched on the street by an attractive Scientologist in Miami and gave her my address as his residence. I have moved..... a dozen or more times between then and now and I STILL get their maiiers. NO LIE. But we digress....

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:31   #426

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Years ago in the Bay area I came across one of the more adventuresome ways of earning a living afloat. This young guy, about 30 years of age came in to the marina alone aboard a Swan 50-52. As he was by himself, I offered to take a line and helped him tie up thinking it rather curious he was single handing that size and quality of boat on his own. We got talking and invited him over for a beer which he accepted. We then went back aboard his vessel and he gave me a tour which turned out that he had a floating palace, to say the least. He told me he was out of LA headed north to the PNW and hoped to run skippered charters out of Seattle or Bellingham, WA. I mentioned I had some older, out of date PNW charts aboard to which he was welcome and he came over in the evening and collected them.
He was gone early the next morning before sunrise. The next I heard of him or his boat was reading in Latitude 38 about a month later that a Swan 50 (name deleted) was boarded by the USCG off Ensenada with a hugh haul of cocaine and grass totalling in the millions! The first thing I thought of were the charts I'd given him that were stamped with my boat name and for weeks worried I would be visited by the DEA. Fortunately, they never showed up but I imagine he must have made a fair bit of coin running dope in those days.
Having delivered many boats of all kinds from Mexico to Alaska and points in between, I've always remembered to vet crew and owners carefully to make sure the boat and crew were clean before taking on the job. You can't be too careful! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:18   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Some skills are illegal. Not that you would be criminal because of what you do, but because you do them as an illegal alien. Learn from the workers that cross the US border. Stay off the radar, don't get caught, and be smart enough to know when you could be. Stealing a high tech job from a local - busted! Competing with the lowest level workers - busted. At worse you'll get under cut so bad you wouldn't try. Easy jobs that don't take much - don't pay much! People who think you might will turn you in.

You can't work in a country legally without a work visa. You need to think like an alien. Do what they do to keep from being captured.

Doctors and RN's usually work well because they need them so bad that they look the other way or can get the paperwork so it can. Not too many jobs fit that level of golden.
I realize this is a quote from 2 years ago, but hopefully either the author or someone else would shed some light on this one. Both of the above, especially MD, are highly regulated in most parts of the world. That means licensing and a train of paper work. Please tell me how to get around it, even if it is you "heard of a guy that heard it from a guy he knew that....".
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:31   #428

physicians and nurses--rns-- are able to work world wide as there is a gross shortage of both and each. there are multiple travel/temp agencies to fill needs of every order placed and some gigs left over....they are highly skilled , highly trained and love working every where so they contract out to do so . isnt difficult. if you plan on that--awesome. i was gonna until i became disabled. doctors without borders and nurses without borders are also available for work abroad.
get paperwork in advance and go for it.
Old 05-08-2012, 15:37   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
physicians and nurses--rns-- are able to work world wide as there is a gross shortage of both and each. there are multiple travel/temp agencies to fill needs of every order placed and some gigs left over....they are highly skilled , highly trained and love working every where so they contract out to do so . isnt difficult. if you plan on that--awesome. i was gonna until i became disabled. doctors without borders and nurses without borders are also available for work abroad.
get paperwork in advance and go for it.
I love how you over simplified the heck out of it LOL...... Frist of, the thread was about making money/working. Doctors without borders last time I checked was a non-paying gig. I also looked into going to Australia or New Zealand for a year as a MD and there is a mountain of paperwork not to mention the 5-6 months process to get licensing and such. I also looked into the european union out of amusement, and one has to get a working visa first. That takes months. Even if you are given one, for which you have to have a working contract first, the licensing process takes anywhere between 4-12 months depending on the country. All of those were with pretty miserable pay comparatively speaking. Maybe I looked at it too superficially or maybe you know something I don't
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:41   #430

is why i said to do it in advance and cruise to where you wish to work with papers ready --until ye retire, is only way unless ye wish to do engine repairing work instead-----is as easy as the mds coming to usa from ussr some few yrs ago. some had to wait years for papers to arrive-- do it before ye leave or isnt as easy...LOL aint simple either way.
Old 05-08-2012, 16:04   #431
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"how about setting up own religion "
Old news old chap.
Word is that when L. Rob Hubbard was still a full-time scifi author, he was asked at a major writers workshop if there was any money to be made writig science fiction. His reply was no, if you wanted to make money go start a religion.
Shortly afterwards, Scientology was born.

Of course, compared to the Church of Rome, they're poor folks, aren't they?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:10   #432
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Old news old chap.
Word is that when L. Rob Hubbard was still a full-time scifi author, he was asked at a major writers workshop if there was any money to be made writig science fiction. His reply was no, if you wanted to make money go start a religion.

I see "clear..ly" now...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:25   #433
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
I love how you over simplified the heck out of it LOL...... Frist of, the thread was about making money/working. Doctors without borders last time I checked was a non-paying gig. I also looked into going to Australia or New Zealand for a year as a MD and there is a mountain of paperwork not to mention the 5-6 months process to get licensing and such. I also looked into the european union out of amusement, and one has to get a working visa first. That takes months. Even if you are given one, for which you have to have a working contract first, the licensing process takes anywhere between 4-12 months depending on the country. All of those were with pretty miserable pay comparatively speaking. Maybe I looked at it too superficially or maybe you know something I don't
If you want a nice tropical place to sail and work in the Med. field look into Guam..they are begging for help and offer big signing bonuses and its the good ole US of A no need for crazy paperwork and you can also work in Siapan,FSM,PT.Rico,Deigo Garcia(I think)...good luck..pm me if you want a contact number for work in Guam,Siapan,FSM..
Old 05-08-2012, 16:28   #434
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Old news old chap.

I belive that the nuts name was "Ron" Hubbard...not that it matters...
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
I also looked into going to Australia or New Zealand... I also looked into the european union...
Well sure. What do you expect? These are places that have a good supply of doctors and nurses. Try some of the island countries in the Caribbean, or the south Pacific--you'll find that they make it MUCH easier for doctors and nurses to come and work.

And that's what it really comes down to. If you want to live in a highly-desirable, first-world country then there is going to be a lot of paperwork and there are going to be a lot of people already lined up for the jobs. If you want it to be quick and easy then you have to go places that the typical dirt-dweller would consider less desirable.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle